Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Wiki Update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wiki Update?

Originally posted by Michael1954 View Post
    I think to a degree we are missing the point. Selwyn asked how he can help, everyone who has had any dealings with Selwyn knows he goes the extra mile to keep Alpha great. So I think a simple wishlist is the best way forward. Alpha has new customers in suits who expect a modern help system these people are paying the bills. All of Alpha focus is on mobile, so those of us who are not 100% mobile need to pay our dues by clarifying the issues that don't seem intuitive in the new system and then maybe as a consession we will get the old system back.
    And I responded with "put the wiki site back up". Putting the wiki site back up takes care of people still using the legacy versions V11 and V10.5 and it does not detract at all from the new modern help they are building for V12 and beyond. V11 has a built in documentation that relies on links to the old wiki site and as a result nothing they can do with then new model help will fix the loss of links and images that were pulled from the old wiki site.

Since this thread was started back in June with no responce from Alpha about fixing it is why the thread has ignited again.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
      I do not think Alpha understands how important the vast numbers of "non paying" v11- and Desktop users are to their bottom line. A good analogy is your local Starbucks. Most of the customers sitting there, for hours, spent about $5. Not much revenue, even if they come back often. But the fact that they sit there, making it crowded, is word of mouth, draws others to enter. The non-paying masses are vital to Alpha in terms of word of mouth, new projects, popularity, etc. If Alpha loses that base, rather than capatolizing on it, big loss.
      I agree completely. Alpha doesn't seem to appreciate the value of customer loyalty. Customer loyalty had intangible, but very real and very substantive, benefits to the company that nurtures such. That loyalty creates stability. Loyalty provides word of mouth positive feedback and generates recommendation(s) to others. There are many companies out there that thrive without any advertisement at all other than strong recommendations by word of mouth. It is a non-monetary form of advertisement that ultimately provides a hidden monetary resource to the company. But that hidden value to the company isn't realized if the company doesn't understand that or doesn't see it (commonly known as a blind spot - in this case a huge one). For the longest time, maybe for 20-years or longer, Alpha users, both desktop and web, all consistently spoke highly of Alpha, both the company and the software. But that started to change several years ago when Alpha began censoring posts it considered controversial. Whole threads, with input by dozens of users were deleted en masse. A slap in the face to many people (a.k.a. paying customers) who made serious and well reasoned comments regarding Alpha Five, the product and company. Since that time there has been a steady erosion of the legacy user base. People have been leaving the software that they have grown up with due to draconian licensing policies (some publicly unstated but strongly hinted at), ever-increasing prices, and an apparent disregard and disinterest in the legacy user base. All (presumably) in lieu of a new, wealthy, enterprise class of corporate customer (that may or may not really exist) and focused almost entirely on mobile development. Gradually, but steadily, more and more Alpha Five developers have been speaking negatively about Alpha the company. It's been a constant drumbeat that I hear all the time these days. And I speak with more and more developers looking for alternative development platforms. It's really sad. But Alpha doesn't seem to care. A company's reputation arises out of customer loyalty. If a company doesn't care about its own reputation, what more can be said?
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Those non-paying customers of today will generally become PAYING customers in the future if their pocketbooks can swing it. When other platforms can deliver a full blown for an upgrade price, then the developer starts looking at what the learning curve is for the new one. It may not have all the bells and whistles, but many don't need or care about those.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Due to technical issues which will not be detailed here, it is not possible to restore the wiki. It was removed with no advance notice because of those issues. We understand that while imperfect, many customers came to rely on the old wiki and we apologize for the inconvenience caused by it no longer being online.

We welcome all feedback regarding the documentation at www.alphasoftware.com/documentation, which we are continually adding to and improving upon. This includes content which may no longer be available, as well brand new content and better ways to find it all. Your suggestions on making this system the best it can possibly be are greatly appreciated.

Lenny Forziati
          Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
          Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

disappointing. but Lenny, at least, you are honest. thanks for the explanation.
            will have to make do with what we have.
            thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
            mysql backend
            http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
            [email protected]
            1 914 924 5171

Comment

Well there is also the v10 chm file that can still be used offline...
              Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny Forziati View Post
                Due to technical issues which will not be detailed here, it is not possible to restore the wiki. It was removed with no advance notice because of those issues. We understand that while imperfect, many customers came to rely on the old wiki and we apologize for the inconvenience caused by it no longer being online.
                I sounds to me like someone deleted the wiki site and did not keep a backup.

Then is it possible to have someone go through the v11 built in docs, find the image links to the old wiki site and then redirect those links to a new image location on the web?

I know this is a lot more work than just restoring the wiki site would have been but it would resolve the issue.

If none of this is possible, is it possible for me to manually edit the links in the built in V11 documentation and if so, where would I find that on my computer. While not an ideal solution it would allow me to hunt down the missing images when needed and rebuilt the link so it would display.

Comment

where would I find that on my computer
                  Found mine in
                  C:\ProgramData\Alpha Software\Alpha Five Version 11\Installations\CAlphaa5V11
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

I have C:\ProgramData\Alpha Software\Alpha Five Version 11\Installations\Calpha5V11 which only has addin_libray.AEX and addin_library.list

I did find C:\ProgramData\Alpha Software\Alpha Five Version 11\Installations\CProgramFilesx86a5V11\documentationImages\wiki.alphasoftware.com which has several folders with lots of images in them. Not sure if this is where the builtin V11 docs looks if you do not have an internet connection or not. Might unplug the internet and see.

Comment

Working...
                    X