Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Wiki Update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wiki Update?

I switched back to legacy help yesterday as well. Couldn't find a couple basic things I was looking for when I just needed a quick syntax reference.

This actually calls for both Martin and Sarah, and even such a team as that would have quite a challenge.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Yes, the new system seems to work best when you know the answer, if only partially.

Comment

I think we need our own Help for the top 100-200 functions and methods that we actually use, and skip the rest. If we all list our most-used functions and methods, I would be glad to create an online Help resource that gave syntax for each and also included a hyperlink to Alpha's help on that topic. I use a Help product already to create online help for my customers that is easily searchable, indexed, etc.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

That sounds a wonderful idea Steve.

If it becomes a viable resource, I would help support as is needed and as I can.
          I am quite sure others would as well.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Steve,

The problem for v11 users is there are a lot of topics that relied on images that where hosted on the old wiki site. When Alpha took that site down they basically disabled a lot of the built it documentation for v11. If you search the same thing on the new site it is not even close to the information in the v11 docs in most cases so if they do have an mage in the new doc site it does not relate to any of the text in the v11 doc.

Now while you or I could spend countless hours building a custom documentation site, it should not be the responsibility of Alpha end users to fix what Alpha broke. All they would need to do is restore the wiki site and the problem would be solved. What would it take? Just restoring the url and a few mb of server disk space.

It is not like Alpha is not aware they broke the documentation for v11 users as it has been talked about on the forum for quite awhile. I can only assume they do not care at all about Alpha users that do not submit to constant subscription updates. Things like this is one of the main reasons I am leaving Alpha as soon as I can afford to do so.

Comment

I do not think Alpha understands how important the vast numbers of "non paying" v11- and Desktop users are to their bottom line. A good analogy is your local Starbucks. Most of the customers sitting there, for hours, spent about $5. Not much revenue, even if they come back often. But the fact that they sit there, making it crowded, is word of mouth, draws others to enter. The non-paying masses are vital to Alpha in terms of word of mouth, new projects, popularity, etc. If Alpha loses that base, rather than capatolizing on it, big loss.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

Alphas new business model seems to be geared towards enterprise users and not the independent developers anymore.

Like Starbuck, I would take 1000 $5.00 customers any day over 1 $5,000.00 customer. Alpha seems to only want the big cats now and I am not a big cat. I may become one in a few more years but it will not be with Alpha.

Comment

On the topic of function index, does this page help: http://www.alphasoftware.com/documen...ions/index.xml
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Here is what the internal docs look like in V11 now that the wiki site has been taken down.

If Steve wants to rebuild the docs or someone wants to help me then maybe we can put a useful documentation site back together.
                    It would take awhile with a little here and a little there but I guess it could be done as it is evedent that Alpha is not going to put the wiki site back up.

I use DrExplain for creating oniine documentation for my apps.

Here is a quick sample if it was done for the V11 docs. Just one topic but you would get the idea.

Alpha 5 V11 Docs Example

Comment

Actually, it can be done in Joomla pretty simple, but suspect Steve has a solid idea or he would have said nothing.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                        Actually, it can be done in Joomla pretty simple, but suspect Steve has a solid idea or he would have said nothing.
                        Like I said, Steve can do it or I can help as it is obvious Alpha does not care about existing customers.

Comment

What I would like to do is create a better index to the current help file. I cannot 'recreate' the help file because I won't live that long. And I don't want to index everything, just what people find important. We cannot put overwhelming effort in to this because any day now, Alpha might add the same welcome index to their current Help, the our work is for naught.

Personally I think everyone should abandon any of the old help or wiki but, like I said build this temporary or permanent helpful index.

Everyone has different tools. My Help looks like this: http://help.iadn.com/ckeditor/
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

I think the major problem in new Wiki is that you can not list anything you want so basically you do not find anything. Also the layout how wiki shows results does not work in paractise (many separate pages).

To shutdown old v11 wiki seems to be against common sense. Obviously it is just V12 marketing question to Alpha.

When you loose customer it is so difficult to get it back. You can get some picture of the popularity of Alphas web platform doing searh using filetype:a5w. One would expect that they would take good care of their customers. New and old ones. Desktop and web and mobile.

Comment

what was the function you were looking for?

Comment

The main strength of Alpha is the "Helper" functions and methods. Obviously, with great variety comes a large number of potential searches. When I search it is because I am new to the method and illiterate, I don't know the correct description. In the old system, we could scan a whole list of methods and drill in, in the search for answers.

Comment

Working...
                                X