Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

tbl.duplicate()

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tbl.duplicate()

I sent the following bug report to Alpha 11 days ago and haven't received any reply. At least a simple reply that "we received your message and are looking into it" would be nice.

Bug Description: When using tbl.duplicate() example - tbl1.duplicate(Newtable,3)

A5 should duplicate everything except for the records. I'm using this in a desktop scenario.

Everything copy's to the new table correctly with the exception of embedded xdialogs on forms. they do not link to the new tables data dictionary (.ddd) file. They either link to the original tables .ddd or nothing at all.

Since the embedded xdialog objects give a much more elegant look and feel to my application, it's important that they would transfer over to the new tables dictionary (.ddd) along with all the other layouts.

The forms, reports, etc. all copy correctly to the new table, it's just the embedded xdialogs on the forms that do not. I've only tried this with embedded reports, so I cannot verify that embedded grids, etc do the same.

If there's a work around for this, other than manually linking the new ddd through the embedded SuperControl design form, please let me know. Manually linking cannot be done by the end user.

Thank you for your help regarding this matter!

If anyone knows of a way to link embedded reports to the new table using xbasic, please chime in. I've tried tbl.duplicate() with version 11 and 12 getting the same results.

Thanks.

Re: Bug report, no response from Alpha Software

If your embedded xdialog were NOT a supercontrol; you could create it with an external function. Not saying I've tried that to see if it would duplicate...but it might
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Robin,

Perhaps you could point me in the direction of an embedded xdialog on a form that's not a super control. The forms design toolbox only has embedded xdialog as a super control or am I missing something?

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Unless I am off your track???
        copy the supporting files from the old table to the new table. Your forms and reports are in those files.
        do not copy dbf and ftp if the data went over.
        all others, you can copy - then compact.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

What was I thinking...?
          Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Dave,

I'm not certain what you mean by:

copy the supporting files from the old table to the new table. Your forms and reports are in those files.
            Are you referring to the tbl.copy method or copying the database design?

Basically what I have is a single interface with multiple tables, all with the same data structure and layouts. When I duplicate the table, everything is duplicated with the exception of the records, so the new table is empty and ready to input data.

The embedded reports on the forms should show the new tables data. However, the embedded "Report Preview" super control, remains linked to the old table that I duplicated the new table from. The only way I can link it to the new table is through the super control design form.

The embedded reports are very professional looking and add a lot to the application. Alpha did a great job, but I think they missed updating the tbl.duplicate method.

The tbl.copy method is similar, so maybe I'll try that and see if it works. Though I have a strong feeling the end result will be the same.

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

After you create a second table with alpha, alpha creates the supporting files that would hold forms, reports, field rules and other.

Your original table supporting files have all of that

copy those files to the new created tables and overwrite what is there.

More like "file copy" I think there will be 3 files to copy. 4 if you wish to move the .cdx index file.

Never copy .dbf or .fpt in this manner for the reason you stated.

Personally, it sounds a bit out of whak if all your tables are identical, but that is your business

The other way is to copy the table and all files to a new name and the zap the new table.
              Last edited by DaveM; 07-20-2016, 06:39 PM.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

You may also try
                A5_DUPLICATE_TABLE()

look at
                FILE_COPY()
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Dave! I'll try and see what happens.

Comment

Well I tried and as I suspected, the same results. The embedded report remains linked to the original table and displays the original tables data, not the new tables data. If I open the report from the report tab on the control panel (not embedded on the form) it displays the new tables data as it should. I suspect it's an internal issue when embedding the report on a form using the super controls. I can as stated before, manually link the new tables form (embedded report ) to the correct data dictionary, but end users cannot do that.

For now, I'll just use the standard report preview (not embedded on a form) and design the report preview toolbar to my liking. It works fine, just loses that pizazz!

Thanks again!

Comment

Robert,
                      Would you mind explaining the need for the users to duplicate tables? Are you having them do archives or something else?
                      Robin

Comment

As with Robin, we have seen people create new tables for each month, year, and many other reasons when it is almost never needed and certainly not prudent.

That is why she has asked this and it makes perfect sense?

I rarely every use super controls, so am not aware of the problems involved.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Robin & Dave,

I built a directory system. Each directory is for a different building or sub-building. Each directories data is encrypted with a different password. I originally built it all into one database set, but found it to be a pain trying to encrypt all the data for each buildings data records with different passwords. Since the layout doesn’t change, I decided to simply duplicate the table and then just encrypt each separate table with a different password. It works well, this is the first issue I’ve run into.

I suppose there may be an easier method, but this is what my brain came up with. It actually made my forms simpler not having to deal with sets with child and grandchild records.

Regardless, when duplicating a table using any of the methods built into A5, the layouts should be duplicated along with all the objects on the layout and linked to the new table. In my opinion Alpha missed this with the embedded xdialogs on forms and that's why I sent the bug report.
                          Last edited by R Kenyon; 07-21-2016, 03:51 PM. Reason: My post got cut off

Comment

When you say directory, do you mean for tenant data as in for a building management company? Perhaps for commercial and/or residential occupants?
                            Robin

Comment

Sorry Robin, but I cannot respond to your questions. But unlike Alpha at least I'm responding to your message. And I don't expect them to fix it, because apparently I'm the only person using the software in this manner. And I get it, it doesn't make sense to fix something for one person. This is the only project I've designed this way, I have developed and am using other software with embedded xdialogs and they work great.

Comment

Working...
                              X