Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Unbind Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unbind Form

Hi All,

I am new to alpha. I am hoping someone can help. I would like to create an unbound form if possible, or at the very least, unbind my form from it's current bound table and rebind to a different table. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Unbind Form

Welcome to the Alpha world.

From the control panel, right click the name of your form

Click Copy to

chose the new table/set to base the form on.

You should either give it a new name or delete the previous form if you are not going to need it.

You can keep the same name. but it can be confusing to you visually.

I would suggest that you also set the view mode to detail.
    Then you can see the name of the form and the table/set it is based on.

copyto.jpg
    Last edited by Al Buchholz; 07-22-2016, 09:40 AM.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Thanks Al. That worked.

Comment

Originally posted by eolsyn View Post
        Thanks Al. That worked.
        Good deal.

Remember, right click is your windows friend.
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Q for Al - can that function be done thru Xbasic? Or do you know if is there an xb function that can programmatically export the form as a package for importing into another app?

Edit: Found it here
          a5_copy_layout_to Function

Last edited by MoGrace; 07-22-2016, 11:11 AM.
          Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by MoGrace View Post
            Q for Al - can that function be done thru Xbasic? Or do you know if is there an xb function that can programmatically export the form as a package for importing into another app?

Edit: Found it here
            a5_copy_layout_to Function
            Wow - all of that and my lips never moved.....

I do see in the old help that function a5_copy_layout_to Function listed under Internal Use Only

I don't see the export/import Functions. Let me know if you find them....

Happy hunting. (must be Friday...)
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Albert Einstein

Comment

'export, opens dialog to save named form, requires entry of package name and location
              a5_backup_dd_object_saveToFile(explicit_dictionary as C,object_type as C,layout_name as C)

'import, opens dialog
              a5_backup_dd_object_unpack()

You can always create an action script, Menu Commands element, control panel context, and view the xbasic.
              There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
                'export, opens dialog to save named form, requires entry of package name and location
                a5_backup_dd_object_saveToFile(explicit_dictionary as C,object_type as C,layout_name as C)

'import, opens dialog

You can always create an action script, Menu Commands element, control panel context, and view the xbasic.
                Stan

Good ideas. I love using action scripting to show the functions behind the menus.

I'm looking for the function that is called when the OK button is pressed on the import/export dialog.

Trying some sleuth methods to get that, but not successful - yet..

I'm thinking if we know the OK function, then we can do this without a dialog.
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Possibly but I'm thinking they aren't separate functions and that the two menu command dialogs are wrappers which ultimately use

a5_dictionary_read()
                  a5_dictionary_write()

to handle the blobs stored in the data dictionaries.

But I've been wrong before this.
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post

'import, opens dialog

Every now and then I do think about Action Scripts - apparently I should have looked there first - Thanks Stan.
                    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Alan
                      I have a similar issue. Years ago I created an application and within it was a startup form so the run time users would fine it easy to navigate. I created it on my desktop and then uploaded it to the server. I had a copy on my desktop also. l am revamping that application for a new user but cannot delete the "Customer Startup" form. Since it is on the server that I no longer have access to it brings up a default form when i attempt to use it. I have right clicked and clicked delete in the menu, it asks if I want to delete but won't. I have no problem deleting forms that are on the desktop version. Any way around this

Thanks
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Ferranti View Post
                        Alan
                        I have a similar issue. Years ago I created an application and within it was a startup form so the run time users would fine it easy to navigate. I created it on my desktop and then uploaded it to the server. I had a copy on my desktop also. l am revamping that application for a new user but cannot delete the "Customer Startup" form. Since it is on the server that I no longer have access to it brings up a default form when i attempt to use it. I have right clicked and clicked delete in the menu, it asks if I want to delete but won't. I have no problem deleting forms that are on the desktop version. Any way around this

Thanks
                        Steve
                        Steve

Is the server running A5 development or runtime?

Since the default form is opening, that tells me that the saved form is missing or corrupt.

Are you looking to change the pointer to the startup form? that is under file - workspace - properties.

If the table/set structure is the same on the server and desktop, you should be able to move the table/set structure files from the desktop to the server. ( after an appropriate backup of each)

table - (.ddd,.ddm,.ddx)
                        set - (.set,.sem,.sex)

Let us know if that helps.
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

Al
                          I am doing the development on my laptop running the development version. I no longer have access to the server running the runtime version and that's where i think the problem comes from. I assume i cant delete a form that the system cant find. I did work around it by starting a new application and copying the table and the forms and reports i needed. I then used them in the new app and did not copy the startup form I didn't want. It looks like it is working fine. It would be nice to have a drop from database option for forms and reports in the event you don't want them showing in the control panel.

Thanks

Comment

Stan I think the A5 functions you listed

a5_dictionary_read()
                            a5_dictionary_write()

Are limited as to what dictionary entries they can read and write. I can't remember what they can and cannot read off hand. However the code in the following post gives an example of how dictionary entries can be read and copied to a different A5 dictionary file. That would be form, browse, script, function anything that shows up in the control panel for desktop application except tables index sets, stuff on the first tab.

The sample code will also work in runtime, and provides further documentation on the dictionary structure, further that is then what is provided by Alpha.

http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphafo...ons-in-RunTime

I hope someone finds this helpful.

Comment

Working...
                            X