Alpha Video Training
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google Charts using Web Socket data from Server every 5 seconds - Video

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Default Re: Google Charts using Web Socket data from Server every 5 seconds - Video

Pete, for a second there I thought you were going to tell me to get my head outta my arse, lol - but I agree, I was just watching the Alpha weekly Q&A where they were talking about the ink control and its pretty cool how you can draw on the image, I currently use another app for that called Paper53 - I haven't made time yet to get into it because of all the other development I have in front of me but I am looking forward to it! I did not know about using it as an image gallery - so I guess I do need to pull my head out and have a look around!

Cheers~
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

Real Name
    John

Default Re: Google Charts using Web Socket data from Server every 5 seconds - Video

My use case is in commercial aviation maintenance. The grid holds thousands of tasks scheduled per week at several facilities each with 3-5 hangars capable of housing a 747. The FAA requires at least half those tasks are approved/signed off by a certified mechanic. The tasks are entered at a single location on desktop browser via editable grid. Workers in the hangars use a terminal to update the progress of a task, or assign "ready for QC". The QC guys sitting in an office with browser open "polling" task list on timer interval. What I want to create is a leaderboard setup where tasks ready or almost ready are constantly ticking towards the top using web sockets to tell the grid "refresh when a status changes". This helps the QC guys plan there day because they drive golf carts miles to whatever hangar is waiting.

After the worker in hangar clicks submit to update a task - Which client/server event makes the most sense to add "web socket send message code"?

Send direct from client after successful submit or some sever side event after sql, etc. Looking to reduce the App server load as much as possible. Thanks for any pointers, I inherited this project from someone who was better versed in Alpha, I'm getting there...slowly.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

After the worker in hangar clicks submit to update a task - Which client/server event makes the most sense to add "web socket send message code"?
    Without knowing how you're submitting... what you're doing... it's impossible to say. You could be running an ajax callback that takes care of updates. Where ever and what ever you're using to update... it may be at that point you want to send a message. Your comment... "Send direct from client" may indicate you may not understand web-sockets as implemented by Alpha. The web-socket server... running on the server... always gets the message... whether sent from the client or from the App server... and then broadcasts it.

Real Name
    John

A lot I don't understand. The grid inserts/edits a single record and is submitted with the stock submit button on each row. Currently 50 or so other users are refreshing on 5 minute interval, want to make that real-time instead. Seems the best option is afterRowSubmit, use Action Javascript-WebSocketActions to send a message from client to socket server. Instead of ajax call back to App server xbasic function doing the broadcast. Both messages would essentially be "refresh now". Was just wondering which approach is more efficient.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Remember that with a Client-side message, the component sending the message does not receive the message. If you're just refreshing data in a grid, then afterRowSubmit with Client-side message sounds pretty good.

Real Name
    John

Thanks for the confirmation David. If and when I can finish this I'll post a video of it working. I think it might be of help to others in the same confused state.

"Certified" Alphaholic peteconway's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Conway

The single simplest thing you could do is change the submit button so that it refreshes all other grids (using a socket message to fire the event) when it is clicked. you would just need to add the javascript in the section that listens for messages. Then turn off the 5 minute refreshes as they would no longer be required. You can elect not to refresh if the Grid is dirty incase someone is entering data, then once they submit it will all refresh again. - good luck.

Pete
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Real Name
    Peter Conway

Here is the link to the ink as an image gallery in the pre-relase section - Play Video
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Actually I found it here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfLDJ4-oYNI

Your link was not the right one, any-who I looked at the release notes but the videos would NOT load from there for some reason for me so I found it on YouTube.
    Alpha is pretty good about spreading out the resources so you can find what your looking for.

Thanks again for pointing out the image gallery option, looks pretty awesome.
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

Real Name
    Peter Conway

Here is it in action in one of my components.. Play Video

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Man, there's no end to a "Bound List" - get it bound list? lol
    Thanks for sharing, I was particularly interested in the view box mention - ANOTHER new thing Alpha has introduced that I have yet to get into!