Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Forum not working in Chrome??

"Certified" Alphaholic mikeallenbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Brown

Default Forum not working in Chrome??

Suddenly if I visit this forum in Chrome only the header appears. Everything is fine in IE.

Anyone else?
    Mike Brown - Contact Me
    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
    Programmatic-Technologies.com
    Independent Developer & Consultant

Real Name
    javier

Default Re: Forum not working in Chrome??

Hi Mike,
    Similar problem here with Chrome.... I was writing a post yesterday and it would only save the first 6 lines of the post.
    Javier

Real Name
    Craig Schumacker

I'm not sure if this is related. There was a Microsoft security update last week that affected Chrome and IE, but not Firefox.

In short, for my client, the update did not allow an Excel spreadsheet to come of a web portal without corruption. The security update was for Office, but your issue sounds like there may be an update issue either with Chrome or Windows.

See below on the corruption or more accurately the lack of the ability to open files. These surprise attacks seem to be problematic. I remember the A5 app server was affected by an update back in version 8...

Problem with opening those file formats resulted from recent security update to MS Excel released by Microsoft. It appears that Excel is blocking outside (downloaded) .xls (html) files instead of giving a warning message.

You can find more details on this update following the link below:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...um=officeitpro

We are not yet sure if MS is going to release a fix soon. Our IT team is researching for solutions that can be implemented at our side to comply with the recent update from Microsoft. It may take some time as this change will affect may program modules and requires thorough testing.

As a temporary solution, please try the following:
    1. Uninstall this security update under Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> Installed updates
    2. You can unblock access for individual files you know are safe. To do this:
    Right click on the file and choose Properties
    On the General tab, click Unblock
    Click OK
    3. You can make use of existing Trusted Locations capabilities in Excel 2010, 2013, and 2016 via File -> options -> Trust Center -> Trust Center Settings -> Trusted Locations.
    You can save the web html file to a trusted location on the local machine (Excel comes with a set of default trust locations). If you do not see the local folder location you trust for these files, then press “Add new location…” button and add it in the Trusted Location dialog. If the HTML document is in a trusted location the KB fix is not applied (e.g. the unsafe HTML file is not blocked).
    This approach may unblock you, but it carries some risk as files of any file type in Trusted Locations are fully trusted. If an attacker can drop files into the trusted location they can easily exploit users who open such documents. Be especially cautious when specifying a custom folder as a trusted location.

Real Name
    Robin

Hi Craig,
    That link says the update is KB3170008.

Wish I would have tried that before dumping 365 for Libre Office...
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

"Certified" Alphaholic mikeallenbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Brown

Uninstalled and then reinstalled Chrome ...problem fixed.
    Mike Brown - Contact Me
    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
    Programmatic-Technologies.com
    Independent Developer & Consultant