Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Pre-release and expired subscription

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pre-release and expired subscription

For what it's worth, the following verbiage was added to the Pre-Release Notes page within the last day:

IMPORTANT: The pre-release builds are only available to customers with a valid Alpha Anywhere subscription. If your subscription has expired you will not be able to use the pre-release build.

If your subscription is valid and you download and use the pre-release build please keep in mind that if you do not renew your subscription after it expires your edibility to use pre-release builds will end.
    -Roger

Comment

What is different about the Office subscription (I think) is that what you created in Word, for example, can still be printed after the subscription expires. You just can't edit the document any more.

As I read what Pete posted, it sounds like the Runtime(If still distributed) and AWS stop functioning completely after the subscription expires.

I think limiting the Developer by subscription is explainable, but trying to tell a client they have to pay for a web application, and pay forever for the use of that site is a tough sell for a developer. Yes, they would be eligible for the AS updates, but if the web app is 'Done', the updates have no meaning to the developer's client.

I wish AS the best, but I couldn't convince anyone that was a good deal...

Regardless, I hope AS clarifies their policy to their potential consumer's. Otherwise, every customer that let's their subscription expire leave's with a bad taste in their mouths.

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
        Well - as I said, I only deal with clients that understand they pay the required licenses, I've come to undertand just how expensive it must be to run an entity like Alpha, and the terms are the terms - As a developer I'm happy with the service provided and the advances coming through. Fact is if they aren't funded - they don't continue, and that's not good. So everyone needs to adjust to the process by re-thinking their model, as I have done, it will help you.
        Cheers Pete.
        You got the point. Now it is all about trust. I hope the Alphas customer base is strong enough.

Comment

Guys:

The software continues to work after your license expires. I am using some expired licenses myself - they work fine.

It only stops working if you are using a pre-release patch instead of one of the approved patches or if you try to install a patch that is later than your expiration date.

So long as your release date is prior to your expiration date and it is an approved patch, your software will continue to work.

Yes - Alpha could spell that out better.

And also, you can renew your license for other products on a Sunday at 10pm if necessary - while you can't with Alpha. There is stuff they need to work on.

Comment

Larry:

It sounds like you are a "Legacy" customer. At this point, I and many here are.

If you read Pete's quote from Selwyn, they are no longer selling that subscription model...

So, I think the concern here is "What happens to "Legacy" customers down the road when I write a new web app and need a new AWS license.

Another concern is can AS survive with a model that is so expensive? Certainly, none of my customers would hesitate to look elsewhere even if the end product was less than what can be created in Alpha, but a lot cheaper.

And, of course, there's the never ending nagging question "What if AS, or it's servers, collapse after I have spent years developing an my own resellable app?"

In the end, AS determines what steps it needs to take to survive. I just hope it works out well for all.

Comment

I have trouble believing that Alpha distinguishes between Legacy and non-legacy customers in terms of what subscriptions get shut down and what do not when a license expires.

And if you read what it says in the pre-release notes now, you will realize that it wouldn't be necessary to add that verbiage if they shut you down when the subscription expires, because they would shut you down whether you had a pre-release or not.

The end of the subscription ends your ability to get updates. And in today's world, having a working app on an old version of software will only get you by for so long. Eventually, an update to windows will come along or a security flaw will be found and you'll need to update your software. Better to just stay current in the first place.

Anything else is just eventual suicide, no matter who's software you are using.

Comment

"I think the real issue here is that we expect customers to have a valid subscription at all times.

For historical reasons, the legacy customer base (i.e. customers who were v11 users before V12 came out) have a special type of subscription that allows them to continue using the product after their subscription end (but limits them to the last official build that was available at the time their subscription ran out)

we no longer sell these types of subscriptions anymore.

we only sell 'true' subscriptions which means you must have a valid subscription at all times in order to use Alpha Anywhere."

-Selwyn

Larry:

Just going by what the big guy says... He is saying There IS a difference between their old customer base, and the new one on how the subscription plays out.. He is also saying that the software is now being rented (For lack of a more accurate term...)

It is what it is. I hope it works out well for them.

Comment

Well then, if you need a new subscription - give me a call!

I'll get you a legacy one for a small fee. Problem solved!

Comment

In fact it old news u can see for a long time what the roadmap is for A5 incl. priceing. In fact how Selwyn response is the question is is there still room for middle size customers seems tobe pending on (old) customer developers focus has been set on enterprise i think it a long term vision but partly i understand they made huge investment and too see their money.
                    A5 now has 3 types of lics, question is will work, i am not sure but it is there business and u have a choice of your own to make agree of bail out.
                    In my case i had i client running odata as standard for Phd and patient portal iaw mental healthcare incl. mobile , i have no idea what the price would be seems u have too ask sales but fairly mostly beyond the customer budget that is too say .

Comment

Larry:

Thanks for the offer, even if you are kidding a little.

As Eric seems to be saying, the cost is likely to compromise the percentage of small business clients any of us can get.

My concerns aside, I hope Alpha does well. I'm sure everything will be fine once we all embrace the concept of the licensing... It's just hard to wrap my head around the cost.

Comment

Craig the the question is none of us have an direct answer time will tell. As i see it merly enterprise custumers is a risk and big step towards, u have to be sure that is the right path. For myself i know the more SMB companies then fortune 500, so not all agree with A5 vision and priceing it and old debat. For sure as i mentioned the new "true" subscription model has a risk and change policy time by time. I think many develpers don't like it because it will reduce market opertunties u can't sell software with a MUST for long term every year u MUST pay else we take your business down, some will accept that others won't, to end most developers will be held responsible by law in countries because they sell the app server together with there product. So if the WAS/IIS server goes down u better have a good law man site by site. m2p.

Comment

I currently purchase(and sell) software or subscribe to software from around the world. That includes France, Germany, England, Italy, Vietnam, USA, Brazil, China, India, and on and on.

None of them shut the use of the product off if not renewed. They do stop support, updates and sometimes their forum usage but it stops right there.

These software products include some for Joomla and add-ons, as well as major development products for desktop and/or web apps.

To shut off an end client's access to their data for a developer's subscription is unthinkable to me, but I may be alone in my thoughts.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                            I currently purchase(and sell) software or subscribe to software from around the world. That includes France, Germany, England, Italy, Vietnam, USA, Brazil, China, India, and on and on.

None of them shut the use of the product off if not renewed. They do stop support, updates and sometimes their forum usage but it stops right there.

These software products include some for Joomla and add-ons, as well as major development products for desktop and/or web apps.

To shut off an end client's access to their data for a developer's subscription is unthinkable to me, but I may be alone in my thoughts.
                            Adobe has started doing this with their products ie) Photoshop, now you can only subscribe and if you stop the subscription, the software quits!
                            Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

completly wird behavior no other words

Comment

Originally posted by iRadiate View Post
                                Adobe has started doing this with their products ie) Photoshop, now you can only subscribe and if you stop the subscription, the software quits!
                                Photoshop is for artist developers. Images and pictures or animations made with Photoshop will not disappear anywhere if your subscription of Photoshop ends. So totally different story than with Alpha

Comment

Working...
                                X