Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

What causes load errors and resynch errors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What causes load errors and resynch errors?

Hello all!

First a bit of <background>:
    I just started a new job and as a result have inherited an A5 desktop application developed by two other people that no longer work here. I am completely new to A5.

The database files are stored on a server and accessed via a network share. The users use Runtime to open the ADB. There are about 7 users that edit tables on a regular/daily basis and upwards of 15 with rights to do so. I figure about another 50-75 users use the DB in a "read only" fashion. I am still familiarizing myself with the tables but I suspect the largest table is ~150,000 KB with ~400,000 rows. The second largest file in the A5 directory is actually a .SEM file at 116,000 KB.

</background>

Recently the database has been complaining. "Error loading <set> the process cannot access the file b/c it is being used by another process. <file>" and, "Unable to resynch on Index."
    • What are some approaches I can use to narrow down the causes of these bugs?
    • Right now I am not able to recreate the errors on demand.
    • Are there logs I can review? Traces I can initiate and review?
    • Can anyone clarify what the Index error actually means?
    • What operations lockup a file/table?

Speaking of the "Error Loading" topic - I was able to clear up the message by doing some detective work and tracking down the only user that had the file open and asking him to close a Form that is based on a Set that included the table. He had the form opened in the background and was actually working with another form in the foreground so I am not sure what could have caused the lockup.

After he closed the form I was able to open it up just fine. No error message. Good! Or so I thought. As I was annotating the issue I had forgotten that I had left the form open and about 10 minutes later 2 users let me know they were receiving the error again. I closed the form and asked them to immediately re-try. They were both successful in opening the form.

Re: What causes load errors and resynch errors?

Welcome to the message board. The board also serves as a knowledge base and is searchable. "Unable to resynch on Index" has been reported from time to time. At the moment I don't recall the suggestions to avoid it.

Pertinent thread: http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphafo...dex#post665644

Alpha operations (batch processing, Operations tab) generally will be unable to complete if a user has a record open in change mode, as in opening a form, beginning a change to a name. This is not considered a bug but rather the way Alpha manages things. Conversely a user will be unable to do anything other than view a record if a batch operation is processing.
    Last edited by Stan Mathews; 09-21-2016, 08:28 PM.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Marco

Please send me a private message or email so we can discuss your situation.
      Al Buchholz
      Bookwood Systems, LTD
      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Hi Stan,

Thanks for the reply!

I've looked at that thread before. I'm not sure I got anything from it. Currently the company re-indexes every morning or so but still occasionally get the error message. Right now when this error comes up they just kick everyone off the DB and re-index.

The unable to load error actually prevents users from loading forms when it pops up thus locking out the users from even a "read-only" mode.

I am wondering if these are performance related issues. The DB seems sluggish. Just now it took ~ 15s to load the A5 Username / password prompt. My current understanding is they are using the A5 Security framework and a startup script for usernames and passwords.

The copy of the DB I keep on my desktop is much faster and responsive

Hi Alan,
        I am currently unable to send emails or PMs. My account appears to be restricted.

Comment

Originally posted by mgallardo View Post
          Hi Alan,
          I am currently unable to send emails or PMs. My account appears to be restricted.
          email alb @ bookwood.com
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

do you have the master password for administrator?
            is alpha using shadowed tables?
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
              do you have the master password for administrator?
              is alpha using shadowed tables?
              Hi Dave,

To the best of my knowledge shadows are not being used. Is there a quick and easy way to check for a shadow? I'll ask my users to verify weather or not they are running on a shadow copy.

EDIT:

Oh ya. Yes, I do have the Master password.
              Last edited by mgallardo; 09-26-2016, 11:31 AM.

Comment

BY logging in as administrator, you can set yourself up as an administrator. May make things a bit easier.

have you done a workspace compact? checked the indexes for each table? checked the sets for proper connections to tables?
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Is there a quick and easy way to check for a shadow?
                  Probably the simplest is to look at the Alpha control panel on the user desktop, tables/sets tab, detail view. If the path to the tables is the server location, not shadowed. If the path references local tables (actually shadow aliases is what they would be) the database is shadowed.
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Dave,
                    have you done a workspace compact?
                    I have not done a compact. I'll give that a shot.
                    Is this something I can do in a live environment without impacting the users?

checked the indexes for each table?
                    I am looking at Indices for a few of (what I think are) the heavily used tables. The problem is, I'm a bit out of my depth. I'm not quite sure what is best practices are and what should be avoided. I see some filters on some of the indices. I've read filters should be avoided but from what I can figure these filters were automatically created by A5 when the developer applied a filter to the "lookups" tab for the field rules.
                    Is there a way for me to track down where a specific Index is being used by a lookup or in other parts of the code?
                    I suspect there a few stray indices that are no longer even needed because they are not used by lookups anymore.

checked the sets for proper connections to tables?
                    I'm a little confused here. If I may ask a clarifying question; Do you mean the PK/FK associations between tables? I believe they are properly connected since the errors are transient but I can certainly verify the connections. What would constitute an improper connection?

Hi Stan,
                    Probably the simplest is to look at the Alpha control panel on the user desktop, tables/sets tab, detail view. If the path to the tables is the server location, not shadowed. If the path references local tables (actually shadow aliases is what they would be) the database is shadowed.
                    Would this be the same as looking at the System->data_source variable? If so, I think I will try to capture this variable in a table when the user launches the "starter" form. I think after a week I'll have a good idea if anyone is on a shadow copy.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me out!

Comment

COMPact.
                      need to be done with all out of the system, preferrably computers turmed off
                      indexes
                      I do not like filters in indexes
                      sets
                      Pk/FK is correct. if a connection is not field name to field name, it is not the best way.
                      if idnum is numeric 9 then the other fiel is best as numeric 9 also
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I think I found a function I can use to audit for shadow copies: A5.GET_MASTER_PATH

it'll return the path to the Shadow, else it'll return null string. so for our starter form OnInit I'll have this snippet run

Code:
                        dim tbl as P
                        dim computername as C
                        dim datasource as C

computername = api_getmachinename()
                        datasource = a5.Get_Master_Path()

tbl = table.open("tempshadowaudit")
                        tbl.enter_begin()
                        tbl.computer_name = computername
                        tbl.data_source = datasource
                        tbl.windows_user = WinUser
                        tbl.a5_user = a5User
                        tbl.enter_end()
                        tbl.close()

Comment

Originally posted by mgallardo View Post
                          I think I found a function I can use to audit for shadow copies: A5.GET_MASTER_PATH

it'll return the path to the Shadow, else it'll return null string. so for our starter form OnInit I'll have this snippet run

Code:
                          dim tbl as P
                          dim computername as C
                          dim datasource as C

computername = api_getmachinename()

tbl = table.open("tempshadowaudit")
                          tbl.enter_begin()
                          tbl.computer_name = computername
                          tbl.data_source = datasource
                          tbl.windows_user = WinUser
                          tbl.a5_user = a5User
                          tbl.enter_end()
                          tbl.close()
                          or use something like this..

Code:
                          if a5.Get_Master_Path() > "" then
                              else
                              datasource = a5.Get_Path()    
                          end if
                          Al Buchholz
                          Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                          X