Alpha Video Training

Thread: Simulating List Detail View Sync Errors

Real Name
    Jmo

Default Simulating List Detail View Sync Errors

I am curious if anyone has ideas on how to simulate list syncing errors to help build out systems to handle said errors (making it easier for the end user to know what to do). I currently have a mobile app (using phone gap) that I can not for the life of me get to throw an error when syncing (whether it be a write conflict error or some other error) but some of my users from time to time get sync errors that stop that current record from syncing and any future records from syncing (obviously a huge problem). When they open up the record that has the error there is not an error message in the global error message placeholder for that detail view so at this point I don't know what is causing the error. I figure if there is a set of errors that are common to lists with detail views (i.e. write conflict errors, value errors, any others that I don't know of) it would be helpful to simulate these in working preview to build out ways to handle them when the user comes across one of them.

If there isn't a set of common errors, is there a way to check if a row in the list has an error when it is being drawn, and get access to what type of error it is so at least I can create a way for the user to email me this data when it occurs so I can at least be a little less blind in fixing the issue.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: Simulating List Detail View Sync Errors

I think there are a number of deliberate faults you can introduce. Some issues you can introduce at the app level by using UX methods. Some issues you can create.

Check these methods and their notes for info on testing:

{dialog.Object}._getOnlineStatus();
    {dialog.Object}.serverIsAvailable([timeOut [, successFunction [, errorFunction]]);
    {dialog.Object}._setSimulatedOnlineStatus(mode);

Without using a simulation you could try any of these:

Put your device into Airplace Mode
    Once your UX is loaded and ready to sync, shut down the Alpha server
    Once your UX is loaded and ready to sync, rename the SQL Table

In the current set of release notes, do a search for 'simulate'... lot of info there.