Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Repeating Section Row Number Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeating Section Row Number Issue

I have a weird issue that has just recently started. By the way, I'm using Alpha Anywhere version 4.3. I have a UX with a repeating section. The first field within the repeating section is a text field with the lookup option enabled with the edit-combo list selected as the type. When I change the value of this field (called Sales Code), I want it to set the value of a field on the current row of the repeating section to 1 if the value is currently not 1. It is not working so I am testing to make sure that it is getting the current row number and returning an alert to me on the screen to show me that row number. It always returns 1 as the row number even if I am not on row 1. Here is the JavaScript that is running when I change the value of this field:

Code:
    var RowNum = {dialog.Object}.getRepeatingSectionActiveRow('REPEATINGSECTION_7');
    alert('Row # = '+RowNum;
    Also, I tried using this same code on another field in the repeating section that does not have any type of smart control enabled such as the lookup option and it works perfectly on that field.

Another issue that is not a huge deal right now, but is strange, is that ever since upgrading to version 4.3, any fields that have smart controls in them such as lookups or calendar/time controls are not displaying with the style set for the field. For example, in the repeating section above, the Sales Code field that has the lookup option enabled has a style set to Arial 12 pt font and color of navy blue. However the text is not displaying in that font size or that color. Unsure if the font name is displaying correct or not (probably is correct but maybe that is by default).

Any help that anyone can provide would be great! Thank you in advance.

Re: Repeating Section Row Number Issue

It works for me, you are missing the closing parentheses in your javascript (unless that was a typo).
    Code:
    var RowNum = {dialog.Object}.getRepeatingSectionActiveRow('REPEATINGSECTION_7');
    alert('Row # = '+RowNum[COLOR="#FF0000"])[/COLOR];
    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

In my code, I actually had the missing parentheses, it was just a typo when I put it in this forum. It still is not working correctly for me. It works fine on a standard text field but if I choose to enable the lookup option on the field, no matter what row I'm actually on, it returns 1. Thanks for catching my typo though.

Comment

David, it works for me. Try this component and see if it works, I think this is what you are trying to do.

Stephen
        Attached Files
        Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Repeating sections are funny row number will return correctly but make sure you understand logical and physical. It is explained in the documentation.

Comment

Here is an example with code to set the value to '1' if it is not already '1'
            Attached Files

Comment

Stephen,

Your UX works fine. Mine is not working but I have the same JavaScript you have. I have a meeting to go to right now but when I get back, I'll post my UX and see if it does the same thing on your end as it is doing to me.

Thanks!

Comment

Stephen,

I thought maybe I had something wrong in my code somewhere, so to be safe, I started to re-create my UX. I have attached the one I just created here. It is very raw and doesn't have much styling to it, but for me it does not return the correct row number unless I first click on just the row itself. So, in order to reproduce the error, simply click the drop down on the Sales Code field on the 2nd or 3rd row in the repeating section and choose a value for that field. The Javascript that runs after you change the field is set to return the row # of the current row but it returns row 1 instead of the correct row. If I click on the row somewhere first and then change the value of the Sales Code field on that row, it works. I can also click on any other field in the repeating section that is not a drop down first and then change the value of the Sales Code field and it works. It is as if the row is not getting focus when you just jump straight to changing the value of the Sale Code field first (which is what the user would normally do). Thank you for taking the time to look into this for me. I've spent a lot of time looking at it myself and just can't figure out why this is happening. As I said, it was working fine about a week ago or so and the only thing I can think of that has changed is upgrading to version 4.3 of Alpha. Not saying that is what caused it and it probably didn't cause it.

UX.zip

Comment

David, you mention you're using Alpha Version 4.3... but that covers a lot of builds. Which build are you using?

I opened your UX in Build 3962 (latest official release) and in the latest pre-release. I tried to add a simple debugger statement to the RS dropdown Sales_Code. When I saved I got this error...

RS_Error.png

Which means there's something funky going on with your data bindings... which are not set... but something must have been messed up at some point.
                  I removed all Data Binding Settings... even though there's nothing there... and then I could save.

I get the proper row returned.

So... go through the process of Removing all Data Binding settings... and see if that helps.

Comment

David,
                    I am also using build 3962. I'll try removing the data bindings and then set them back up and see what happens. Thanks!

Comment

In the sample you posted... there were no Data Bindings... is that right?

Comment

That is correct. I have a similar UX that does have bindings and that is where I discovered this issue. After reading some of the replies, I thought I would try to create a new UX and just see if there was an issue that I had not discovered with the original UX. I didn't put in any code except the On Change event for the Sales Code field in the repeating section which simply should return the current row that I'm on. If I change the Sales Code in the 2nd row, it returns that it is on Row 1 which it is obviously not.

I know that normally you would not start on the 2nd row, but in the original UX what I'm seeing is that if you navigate to an existing record and then go the next available line item in the repeating section to add more data, it is set to change some data based on the option selected in the sales code field and then jump to the next field on that row. What is happening is that the data on the 1st row is changing and jumping back to the next field in the first row. So that is why I started putting in code to just tell me what row I was on when I changed this field and that is when I hit this wall where it is returning the wrong row #. I tried your suggestion to remove the data bindings from the UX that I posted here and now that one is working OK. I have not tried it yet on the original UX. I'll keep you posted if that works or not. Thank you!

Comment

OK, I just tried to remove all data bindings from the original UX and re-map everything. I still get the same issue with it telling me I'm on the wrong row. Since removing it from the UX that I posted here did work, I'm going to try to re-create the entire UX and see what happens. It may be tomorrow before I get a chance to do that, but I'll post my results here when I've completed that.

Comment

Just to confirm... you took your sample UX... the UX you posted here... removed all Data Binding... and now your sample UX is working for you?

Comment

What data back end are you using? You could try posting your original UX here, along with SQL (if sql) dumps containing sample (or empty) data of the 2 tables.

Comment

Working...
                              X