Alpha Video Training

Thread: Magic Numbers

Real Name
    Fred Sides

Default Magic Numbers

I have a collection application running under Version 10.5. Someone entered $44.14 against a $88.28 bill and reported that the input amount changed itself back to $88.28. There are several ways that the process can be accomplished and they tried a couple of other ones with the same result.

After reporting it to me, I looked and could not find anything within the programming that would cause such.

As a test, I created a file with a single numeric field with two decimal places and no field rules as part of a Version 10.5 application. I then populated it through the default browse. If I entered 88.28 and then tried to change it to 44.14, it automatically reverted to 88.28. And when I started with 44.14 and tried to change it to 88.28, it reverted to 44.14. Either of these numbers could be changed to anything else and anything else could be changed to either of these two numbers (at least as far as I tried), but I could not get one of them to change directly to the other.

When I ran the same experiment under Version 12, everything changed as would be expected.

If anyone has the time, could you please try to duplicate this test and let me know how it goes and if there are other such 'magical' pairs out there.

VAR
    Real Name
    John Lemisch

Default Re: Magic Numbers

I can confirm your situation. the work around is to change 44.14 to (for example) 35.00, then change it. Weird

Real Name
    Fred Sides

I'm going to switch my users over to Version 12. It seems the easiest and safest solution, not knowing if there are other 'special' numbers of this type (this was the first time the issue was raised in at least 7 years of using the application). I'm just throwing this information out for anyone who might potentially run into a similar situation to let them know that they don't need to spend any time looking through their code, there is something odd going on within Alpha. By the way, all my tests were run on Windows 7 machines.

In my particular case, I was feeding the amount to be credited into a numeric variable defined for the form in question. This allowed me to be able to enter more decimal places at input. If I entered 88.28 as 88.280 or 44.14 as 44.140, both seemed to work. It was only when just two decimal places were involved that the 'magic' occurred.

Real Name
    Paul Verboom

This has come up before A5 uses a CRC checksum to determine i field value has changed. The two numbers you mentioned give the same checksum. In ver 12 a larger CRC is used.