Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

UI suggestions for dynamic lists, dynamic controls and immediate editing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UI suggestions for dynamic lists, dynamic controls and immediate editing.

This is the quickest I could come up with.
    http://screencast.com/t/B9K8M1PoQovC

It shows;
    7 questions within 1 subject area.
    If you client wants a scrolling string of all subject areas and all possible answers, it's doable but will kill the user and the application IMHO
    If you can show me a prototype in Alpha DT to show what you need is indeed possible, I'll try harder.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Ted, your example looks awesome, but it still only demonstrates one question type - yes/no.

Steve's questions have other questions types mixed in. So Question 2 might be a drop down list (Red/Green/Blue) and Question 5 might be a lookup field.

And then for the next question set, the drop down list might be Question 4 instead of Question 2 - with a different set of possible answers.

I would like to know, however, what you did that with. Is it a list control?

Comment

Steve,

If your customer really wants a form that looks like his original spec, and if he wants it to be fast, friendly and EXACTLY how he wants it, you can provide that quite easily.

You develop a different UX for each set of questions, each UX is built in exactly the way the customer wants it.

It's a rather old fashion way to do it, but it might actually be EASIER to do it that way.

Each UX would only have to worry about itself, so it would be much faster than trying to juggle all the different controls and data for each question set.

In saying that, I have no idea how many we're talking about. It may be that some questions are similar enough between different sets of criteria that you can get away with 5 UX's to handle 20 different question sets.

But I think you are going to spend the rest of your life tracking down speed or ease of use issues if you try to compact it all into a single UX.

Just my two cents after thinking about it for a few days ....

Comment

Larry, put like that, I'm not sure what Steve's customer requires is possible on a smartphone, either web or native shell due to limitations of screen size and processing power.
          I asked Steve to do a mock up of the requirement in Alpha Desk Top just to establish if what is requested is indeed possible.
          I can do mixed options but they will need to be consistent, as in Question 1 = RGB, 2 = Yes/No, 3 = Value List from Lookup - all within the single primary question framework.
          Screen size and orientation is another issue, so do you think his customer would accept tablets?

Nope, not a List Control.
          PM me if you wish to know or Lenny will get me. This was just a trial to see if it could be done.

Comment

I have the same needs as Steve. Problem is, there are 200 to 300 questions per project out of a possible 1500 questions. Each project can have a different set of questions, so it is not practical to create separate components for each possibility. Here is a pic of our component
            questions.png
            Pat Bremkamp
            MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Does this float your boat?
              http://screencast.com/t/WplnypoQq7o
              Not pretty, but its a Proof of Concept and I'm doing it Pro Bono.
              The lookup fields can be based on selection criteria, so Pools will have one set, Furnaces another, and Electric Circuits a third. The logic is the difficult bit. LOL!
              I'm using SQL as a back end in this example, and as I said, it's a PoC.

Pat, the challenge comes with screen sizes and processing power. I have tried using a straight web connection with tablets and it works - sort of. Not as good as a native app though.
              In addition it needs to be responsive and pick up the media platform and that's yet another hurdle.
              Last edited by Ted Giles; 12-10-2016, 01:03 PM.

Comment

That second video certainly floats MY boat - I don't know about anyone else!

Will PM you cause I'd like to know how to do that ...

Comment

I had another thought about how to do this:

What if you created 7 different UX controls. Each one would be designed to pull up a single question with a single question type.

Then create your main UX. The purpose of the main UX, then, is to determine which of the "question ux's" it will need to load, in what order and with which questions.

So you would have one UX designed to be used for a drop down list and another UX to use for a Yes/No field and a third UX which is a text box control.

The task then becomes - get the list of questions. Loop through the questions to pull up the UX that will best allow an answer for each one and put the UX in it's appropriate container on the main UX.

The only downside I see to this (other than a possible speed issue) is that on each question you would likely have to submit the UX - so if you answer 3 out of 5 questions, for instance, you could not easily abandon the edit - those three would already be saved.

I have NO idea how easy this would be to implement, but it might help compartmentalize the problem or suggest another solution.

Comment

Ted - you have it here. Some immediate editors right in the List and some others will have to be on another panel card.

Did you do this with A5 or something else?

If you did it with A5, would you share even the basic building blocks and methodology?

BTW, this also needs to be mobile-device friendly, and while it doesn't have to be completely off-line, we're aiming for as much off-line capability as possible including an extensive use of the data cache.

Thanks.
                    -Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

Steve, I haven't actually tried it in Alpha, this has been done using something else which I am more used to.
                      I have an old version of V12, so I can try to replicate it.
                      In the meantime, I'll write up the logic and post it.
                      It's phone friendly, and off line can be built in.

Comment

Thanks. There are several controls that should be immediate:

Short Text input (lots of numbers - such as chemical readings)
                        Yes/No button pair
                        Switch
                        Checkbox (Logical)

Others, such as choice lists and long text can/should be on the next panel.
                        -Steve
                        sigpic

Comment

Like this?

http://screencast.com/t/iSJRUzMkoGn3

Shown in a small smartphone. Scrollable but in demo mode, Virtual keyboard not shown.

Comment

Ted, This being written in c# and JS should be usable about anywhere in any application.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

True Dave.

Comment

steve,
                                these are just form inputs.
                                if you read your first post
                                The response controls are variable - they can be RadioButton, Choice List, Checkbox, Switch and a couple others. All of this is data-driven, from the question to the type of control that is needed.
                                it looks more like templating than input form. however if that is an input form, is that a requirement that you need to use alpha built components as lists, ux, viewbox etc., or you can just use html page or a5w page with your form and just deposit the data into a backend db. and then the data is available to all the alpha five components in the desktop or browser interface.
                                thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                                mysql backend
                                http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                                [email protected]
                                1 914 924 5171

Comment

Working...
                                X