Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can not install v12 runtime as path too long in Windows7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can not install v12 runtime as path too long in Windows7

Did some testing....if we REMOVE the folder (node-inspector) from node_modules in v12 runtime, our app compiles (creates an EXE file) as it has for about 6 years. you will see that Lenny a couple messages down has said that this folder created a problem with ALPHA also. Bottomline, we aren't the only ones having problem with it. How do others get around this massively LONG path? Our prob has nothing to do with our machines that we can see.

s
    Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
    Do other directories get created but the installer balks on the indicated directory? I ask because I don't see an explicit statement that the path is too long, just that it can't be created. Does the installer work on other machines than your laptop?

Comment

I have tried deleting ther Nodes completely. Did not work out.
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

what happened? what was the error message? I have deleted the "node-inspector" and SO FAR the desktop "seems" to be working. Test time limited though.

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
        I have tried deleting ther Nodes completely. Did not work out.

Comment

Alpha did not start - no errors. No testing, just installed again
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I removed the two node directories for a test this morning, then compiled and tested the application. So far it appears to work ok. Is it safe to assume that if we do not use call methods to the Node Module that these directories are not required?

Comment

Great. Then something probably went wrong with my first install.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Using an installer?
                If so, you can leave out all the Node stuff. create another install for the node stuff, The the install for alpha. send both installs in one download. alpha installer should install the run the node install after.
                That is only IF you really need the node stuff.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

First day of 2017....Happy New Year to the Forum Group

I wish someone from ALPHA would say when is the node_modules required? This long path was put in during a later patch so it was created by Alpha. They should come out with some solution.

If we have a Web Project & create a A5WEBRoot to interface with our desktop app I assume (node_modules) would be required to run A5WebRoot. We are NOT interested in running on a mobile or tablet. PCs work fine for us. We can not do much testing as we are in process of converting our web-version from v10.5 to Alpha Anywhere v12 and needless to say that has lead to many problems.

Note that Lenny of Alpha previously said "You could try moving/renaming/deleting a folder within node_modules (e.g. node-inspector) and then test your application to see if it is still fully functional. That would be the only way to know for sure if it is required for your specific application."

In my opinion Alpha should do the testing not a user. Better if he stated when does a user/programmer NEED the node-inspector???? Maybe for us it would make sense to just use an earlier version of v12 runtime that did NOT have the node-inspector in it. Leaving it out, does what to our web-version?

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                  Using an installer?
                  If so, you can leave out all the Node stuff. create another install for the node stuff, The the install for alpha. send both installs in one download. alpha installer should install the run the node install after.
                  That is only IF you really need the node stuff.

Comment

Dewayne, did you ever try the Alpha Installer as Lenny recommended?
                    It might not be wholly to your liking, but he reckons it will work.
                    Unlike Dave, I have always used the Alpha supplied installer, up to V11 that is and it has worked flawlessy for me at any rate.
                    As for testing. I do agree that the adding in of Node should have been more thoroughly evaluated. If, as Lenny mentions, some people believe that the structure of Node is "broken" you have to wonder why it was used in the first place.
                    Having said all that, if you don't need it to run your app, then a quick method of excluding the component is required.
                    @Lenny. How would you go about doing that?
                    See our Hybrid Option here;
                    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

We did try the installer sometime ago and it did not do what we wanted hence the move to CreateInstall. And this app worked FINE up to v12. But maybe we should look at it again. BTW, do you have a LINK for it?

My programmer just informed me that he removed the node_modules & node_services folders from the "development, runtime & application server &"SO FAR" does not seem to be any problem but much more testing is required.

I agree with your Alpha comment & found folders called "v8-debug & v8-profiler" in node_modules. Are these Alpha related & additions? If so it appears that Alpha does have input or at least added items to the node-inspector folder.

Thanks for the suggestions...

Comment

Sorry, I don't know how you would get a V12 installer, I only use V11 installer.
                        If you open your application in V11 and try to run the V11 shipped installer, what happens?

Comment

My installer is astrum(FREE)
                          I did retest leaving out the node stuff and my app all work fine. MUst have been something I did
                          The long path error is a windows limitation.
                          Windows has limits on folders within a folder and lenth of characters. You need to look it up because it may be different on various windows systems
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

we will have a look at astrum....to see if it will work for us.

our solution up to now is to DELETE node_modules & node_services from the 3 alpha anywhere apps we have. We will do testing to see what happens and if it effects our web-version when we create the a5webroot....we ONLY have 1 app, a desktop version & its brother than runs on the internet.

here is one of the LONG paths & the one in the v12 development & runtime are much the same.

C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\A5V12 APPLICATIONSERVER\NODE_MODULES\NODE-INSPECTOR\NODE_MODULES\V8-DEBUG\NODE_MODULES\NODE-PRE-GYP\NODE_MODULES\REQUEST\NODE_MODULES\HAR-VALIDATOR\NODE_MODULES\IS-MY-JSON-VALID\NODE_MODULES\GENERATE-OBJECT-PROPERY\NODE_MODULES\IS-PROPERTY

262 characters with spaces.....

Comment

Win 10 can handle file path over 260 char.
                              Win 7 restricted to 260 max.
                              That's one problem M/soft has addressed.

Comment

Nope when you start the insaller in 10.5 it forces a v10 runtime folder which can not change. Looked around for 10 minutes and did not find the alphainstaller which wud allow me to point to our v12 app. Chop Chop Chop installer in v10.5, nada in v12.

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                                Sorry, I don't know how you would get a V12 installer, I only use V11 installer.
                                If you open your application in V11 and try to run the V11 shipped installer, what happens?

Comment

Working...
                                X