Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Create Multiple Records at once in disconnected mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create Multiple Records at once in disconnected mode

Hello,

I am trying to find a way that I can create multiple records at once using a json string as a default list of fields. Example:

I have a table called Samples
    I have a sub table called sample details
    In the sample details table I have three fields (sampleid, column, value)
    When I add a new sample it then needs to iterate through the json file to find all the fields required for that table
    It then adds a new record in the sample detail table for each json entry
    So, sample id would be duplicated several times, and 'column' would be the name of the field to be edited
    'value' would end up being edited in the user interface
    'column' would not be edited since it's basically the field name

Sample ID: 1

Sample ID Column Value
    1 Name Joe Schmo
    1 DateStamp 12/29/2016
    1 Location Whatever should be typed here
    Can a repeating section work for this? FormView? Anything? During devcon 2016 an example was shown of how to do this, but I haven't found anything online.

Re: Create Multiple Records at once in disconnected mode

Web? Mobile? (real Mobile... not a web app running on a device browser).

Do you want to sync back to a database?

So... instead of "normal" columns of data, you want to "pivot" (in a sense) and create a 1 row for each column.

It's really just master/detail where the detail is a 2 part key (SampleId and Column). This could be done with FormView, Lists, or Repeating Sections... it really depends (a bit) on what your target device is... mobile... pc browser... etc.

Comment

Hi David,

The issue is in the creation of a new record which needs to have all the fields required by the form (your understanding of a pivot is essentially correct). I know we can use form view, lists and repeating sections, however I have a need to add multiple records at once based upon a json file (or some other method) which lists all the fields required for the form. It needs to create a new record in disconnected mode which means there isn't an ability to check a database table for the fields required (which is why I think json would work fine).

Comment

Are the "required fields" static (at the time of app build)? Once defined in your Sample Details table... they are what you'll need to provide data for... is that right? If so, then rendering a UX with a control based on that Detail table, will carry the fields required... connection or not.

How you want to run disconnected is also a matter of choice. You can utilize device file storage or a sqlite database.

Are you going to be collecting data offline then syncing later? Web app? Mobile app?

Comment

Hi David,

The fields are static at the time of deployment....however, my goal is to make the json file (or other storage of the structure) something that can update when a full synchronization has taken place. The app has to run in disconnected mode and then sync as normal. It will be used as a web and mobile app and needs to run the same on both (as it does with my other disconnected applications). The idea, is to have a javascript event (such as tapping on 'new record') which would then read the json file (stored on device and update on sync) and create all the records required to match the structure. The whole purpose is to be able to create these multiple detail records without having to use server side code. I saw an application designed this way at devcon 2016 and a demo (by one of the main guys at Alpha - but can't remember his name) of small lightweight app there as well which did the same thing. We are proceeding on this path because we will have 40 forms and need to modify them quickly....and I can't be redistributing the app all the time.

Comment

Could you break it down a bit further? This type of process needs to be explained in detail.

"Read the json file (stored on device and update on sync). Does this mean that today I would create new records and at some point sync. But... that JSON might then be updated and may contain more or less columns... so that if I create new records tomorrow... the number of records may be different?

Also... "and create all the records required to match the structure". If there were 10 columns required for this form detail, then 10 records would be created... and each record would require User input. Once the user has completed the 10 records the data would be saved offline... but ready to sync at some point.

Is this right?

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
              Could you break it down a bit further? This type of process needs to be explained in detail.

"Read the json file (stored on device and update on sync). Does this mean that today I would create new records and at some point sync. But... that JSON might then be updated and may contain more or less columns... so that if I create new records tomorrow... the number of records may be different?

Also... "and create all the records required to match the structure". If there were 10 columns required for this form detail, then 10 records would be created... and each record would require User input. Once the user has completed the 10 records the data would be saved offline... but ready to sync at some point.

Is this right?
              The JSON file could be updated at any time upon synchronization and then any new records after that need to reflect the most recent structure. I'm assuming we could use client side data cache to store the json.

Yes, if there were 10 columns all ten would require input and then saved locally on the device (using the standard disconnected capability), and when the user decided to sync it would be pushed to the server.

I appreciate any help you give David. I was really hoping that someone had seen the demo at the conference and knew where a link was to it. Thanks.

Comment

What was the nature of the demo? Was it a completed app?

Comment

Working...
                X