Alpha Video Training

Thread: Active X

Real Name
    John Kukuda

Default Active X

OK I'll be the first.
    The beta shows an active x browser on a form. It works well, When you right click and select view source it displays the source. How can I read the html into alpha like html.body?

Former Alpha Employee Edward Larrabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Edward Larrabee

Default Accessing HTML in browser window

Perhaps you will find this topic helpful. It illustrates how to create an Xdialog that displays HTML.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Ha! You weren't the first. I believe I was, but aaron moved my brilliant post to the support forum. This one is mainly so I can get my "junior" status removed more quickly. (!!!!). Ah, I see that "Quick Reply" does not allow spell checking.

Ray Lyons

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by jkukuda
    OK I'll be the first.
    The beta shows an active x browser on a form. It works well, When you right click and select view source it displays the source. How can I read the html into alpha like html.body?
    I don't really understand what you are asking. Are you talking about an Xdialog or a Form? Can you give more details about what you want to do.

Thanks

Real Name
    John Kukuda

Default Data Mining

What I am trying to do is data mine.
    I need to be able to control the browser to post the requested data and read the screens sent back to put the data in to the database.
    I can do this now in a somewhat limited fashion wirh the get and post commands in alpha. Problem is some sites I visit require registration and send keep alive info and java scripts to my browser. I must look like a browser to maintain connection and continue to drill down the site. Once I can get this working I will probably want to put the focus on another window to run some basic x commands.
    This site

http://www.lencom.com/VisualWTSite.html

has a product that almost does what I want, called visual web task. I never been able to establish contact with them or I would probably have purchased.
    I know this can be done with alpha 5, I just don't know how.

Any and all suggestions are truly appreciated. If I have not made myself clear let me know and I will try to be more specific.

Once this is accomplished I think a newsletter article would be beneficial to the community.

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

What you want to do is possible, but not very easily. It requires knowing the exact format of the web page and if the site's admin changes the page then your code will need to be modifed.

The basic approach would be to get a pointer to the browser's DOM. How to do this depends on which ActiveX control you are using. Given a pointer to the DOM and knowing the name of each element you want to fill in and the name of the submit button, you can do something like the following

Code:
    dom.form1.firstname.value = "Lenny"
    dom.form1.lastname.value = "Forziati"
    dom.form1.submitbutton.submit()
    The above is only pseudo-code, I might be a bit off on the way to get to the elements. The Internet Explorer DOM is detailed at http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/b.../document2.asp