Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Combine two tables in a browse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combine two tables in a browse?

I think I'm trying to do something impossible, but it won't hurt to ask. Is there a way to combine a parent record and child records in a browse or list as separate individual rows? Let's say fields 1, 2, and 3 in Parent table are identical in structure to fields 1, 2, and 3 in Child table, and they are linked in a one-to-many relationship. I would like a list or browse showing the following:

Row 1 (Parent record) Field1 Field2 Field3
    Row 2 (Child record 1) Field1 Field2 Field3
    Row 3 (Child record 2) Field1 Field2 Field3
    Row 4 (Child record 3) Field1 Field2 Field3
    I know that I can create a new table by copying the Parent table and then using an Append operation to add the Child table to it, and then base the browse on that, but if there's any way to do this dynamically without creating a new table first, I would be very interested in learning about it.

Thanks!
    Nathan

Re: Combine two tables in a browse?

Take a look at mapped tables and see if that does what you want.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

That doesn't seem to accomplish what I'm looking for. The linked table appears to be similar to a one-to-one set. The browse needs to show the record from the Parent table as a separate row from the records from the Child table.

Nathan

Comment

Nathan,

Make a temporary table and
        1) Find the data and Import(transfer) the records with some of the Reference_Group, display_Sequence from Two tables.
        2) Play with the Temp table
        If you know the xbasic, will do easy to transfer the records to Temp table.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan Zeiset View Post
          I would like a list or browse
          And then do what with it?

A list may be an answer, but it depends on what you want to do with it.....

How many users?
          Last edited by Al Buchholz; 03-09-2017, 02:51 PM.
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD
          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

John,

I'm not sure what the purpose of the temp table would be. Do you mean to base the browse on the new temp table?

Al,

I have a members table and a dependents table. I would like to have a browse that lists a member and his dependents in the same browse (or list). Each member or dependent would have multiple office visits associated with them. When the user selects the member or one of the dependents in the list, the associated visit records would be displayed in another browse.

Nathan

Comment

Nathan,

I'm not sure what the purpose of the temp table would be. Do you mean to base the browse on the new temp table?
              Make a new table which will hold the Transfer data and you have to manipulate with xbasic.

If you want to see with Browse, there are no way to show as your layout(post #1).

You can do with xDialog ListBox. - still get the data from Parent and child tables.

Comment

Create a view and use it for the grid.
                Nicholas Wieland
                LedgerSuite.com Corp
                [email protected]
                http://www.ledgersuite.com

Comment

Create a view and use it for the grid.
                  On the desktop with dbf tables? Have an example to share?
                  There can be only one.

Comment

I agree with Al. Curious as to purpose for the resulting browse or list. If it's simply to display data consider using a previewed report.

Comment

I'm trying a different approach to displaying the data I want. If I decide to come back to this idea, I'll repost here.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!
                      Nathan

Comment

Al,

I have a members table and a dependents table. I would like to have a browse that lists a member and his dependents in the same browse (or list). Each member or dependent would have multiple office visits associated with them. When the user selects the member or one of the dependents in the list, the associated visit records would be displayed in another browse.

Nathan
                        Then as Tom Cone described, I'd use a report to display the data and have a linked field with an onclick event that you would click on to open a form/browse to the proper data for maintenance.
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD
                        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Al,

Nathan
                          You may need to normalize your tables differently. To link members to dependents you need a common field they all share - like a CLIENTID field. But you will also need a unique MEMBID to refer to them individually in order to show visits. If you think of your client member as the head of household, then you can add a logical field to the member table to show TRUE for that member, and false for the others. A separate CLIENT table is where you generate the unique CLIENTID when a new client is added that can also act as the header table for a set.

Code:
                          Members:
                          CLIENTID  MEMBID  HOH  NAME
                          12345       7880       .T.     DOE, JOHN
                          12345       7881       .F.     DOE, JANE
                          12345       7882       .F.     DOE, BILLY BOB

Visits:
                          DATEIN        MEMBID  KEYLINK (auto increment)
                          12/15/2016  7881       10000014
                          03/01/2017  7881       10000123

CLIENT
                            |==MEMBER
                               |==VISIT
                          Last edited by MoGrace; 03-10-2017, 12:47 PM.
                          Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Code:
                            Row 1 (Parent record)   Field1     Field2       Field3
                            Row 2 (Child record 1) 	Field1     Field2 	Field3
                            Row 3 (Child record 2) 	Field1     Field2 	Field3
                            Row 4 (Child record 3) 	Field1     Field2 	Field3
                            Something isn't quite right in what you are telling us. Is the above lines 2-4 supposed to be the same child #1 with multiple records or is it supposed to be 4 separate people and should be:

Code:
                            Row 1 (Parent record)       Field1 	Field2 	Field3
                            Row 2 (Child [COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=3]1[/SIZE][/COLOR] record )     Field1 	Field2 	Field3
                            Row 3 (Child [COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=3]2[/SIZE][/COLOR] record )     Field1 	Field2 	Field3
                            Row 4 (Child [COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=3]3[/SIZE][/COLOR] record )     Field1 	Field2 	Field3
                            with the multiple "visits" in another table?
                            Mike W

Comment

In my example, John Doe is the 'member' and Jane and Billy are the 'dependents' - they are all records from the same members table.
                              Robin

Comment

Working...
                              X