Alpha Video Training

Thread: Multiple App Server Instances - Question

"Certified" Alphaholic mikeallenbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Brown

Default Multiple App Server Instances - Question

Currently I have a separate IP Address for each alpha instance. All of this works well. I have a need now to expand and create more instances. I'll be moving to a new, better, faster server and have asked the hosting company (Rackspace for anyone who is interested) for more IP addresses for the additional App Server instances. Well, they are giving me a hard time about the additional IP addresses. Because of the limited number of IPv4s available they don't want to give me any more.

So, my question is can I run my alpha instances using the same IP address but just a different port for each one? Any reason why I couldn't?

Thanks in advance!
    Mike Brown - Contact Me
    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
    Programmatic-Technologies.com
    Independent Developer & Consultant

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Default Re: Multiple App Server Instances - Question

Using different ports on a single IP address will work just fine. This is the configuration commonly used by customers.

You may also want to consider using the Application Server for IIS, where you do not need to deal with managing and balancing multiple instances.

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

"Certified" Alphaholic mikeallenbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Forziati View Post
    Using different ports on a single IP address will work just fine. This is the configuration commonly used by customers.

You may also want to consider using the Application Server for IIS, where you do not need to deal with managing and balancing multiple instances.
    Thanks Lenny. I thought so but wanted confirmation.

I'm interested in IIS, but, not sure of the steps needed to convert the "standard" alpha app to one that works with IIS. Is there a step-by-step guide available?

EDIT: ...found it: https://www.alphasoftware.com/docume...ion/index.html
    Mike Brown - Contact Me
    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
    Programmatic-Technologies.com
    Independent Developer & Consultant

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Lee Vasic

I went from running 8 instances of Alpha Server to 1 instance of IIS. I'm very happy with the performance.

Real Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by lvasic View Post
    I went from running 8 instances of Alpha Server to 1 instance of IIS. I'm very happy with the performance.
    This is out of context of this threat but I wonder the functionality of IIS integration.
    When using classic server you can use xbasic to start a Nodejs server in my case expressjs server and this server then starts in whatever port you want and serves html content to the client. This works fine in classic server and you can serve for example which is what I do forms and then have ability to run server side javascript using this expressjs server. You can use all the scripts available what you can find in web and your own.
    I wonder if this kind of functionality is still available using IIS. And does Nodejs work at all using IIS integration?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by kkfin View Post
    This is out of context of this threat but I wonder the functionality of IIS integration.
    When using classic server you can use xbasic to start a Nodejs server in my case expressjs server and this server then starts in whatever port you want and serves html content to the client. This works fine in classic server and you can serve for example which is what I do forms and then have ability to run server side javascript using this expressjs server. You can use all the scripts available what you can find in web and your own.
    I wonder if this kind of functionality is still available using IIS. And does Nodejs work at all using IIS integration?
    hotspot!!