Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sync lists one way only in disconnected app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sync lists one way only in disconnected app

How do you sync a list so that the idea is that the back-end table has a bunch of data, but the list only includes new data entered by the user? When you sync the data should be pushed out to the server/table, but not pull in any of the existing data on the table back to the UX.

eh?

P.S. filtering the table on the date helps, but only partly.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Re: Sync lists one way only in disconnected app

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
    How do you sync a list so that the idea is that the back-end table has a bunch of data, but the list only includes new data entered by the user? When you sync the data should be pushed out to the server/table, but not pull in any of the existing data on the table back to the UX.

eh?

P.S. filtering the table on the date helps, but only partly.
    create a temp table on serverside for that user then read the diffs and transaction the stuff by stored proc

Comment

hhmm..

Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

hhmm..

a safe mode for any off-line app

table .....A read user data
        table B diffs <user transaction or any kind)

action merge

so the question what is trustfull ofline or online data?
        Last edited by bea2701; 05-18-2017, 12:07 PM.

Comment

I know, but
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

I feel your question is missing important information... and concepts. First... have you actually tried pushing List edits back to the server using the default List/Detail View settings? How is your Detail View Synchronization Policy set up? What version/build of Alpha are you working with? Do you actually mean Sync... or do you mean RefreshListData? What code are you using for your sync?

Comment

I am going to make two assumptions. The logged in user is constant and the new local data does not have a primary key since it was entered in a disconnected mode.
              The only way I can think of to identify the records you are syncing to the server is to create a unique batch value that identifies the group of new records in local storage. You would need to add a new field to the table like BatchCode.
              To implement, you can combine the user name along with a date/time stamp like joeuser_2017_0518_1237pm. which will update all the records in local storage to that value before you sync. You can store that batch value in an unbound field on the UX which can be used in a search filter to return only the records in that batch, thus ignoring all other records on the server. Not knowing the application rules and requirements, you can easily create a lookup list of all synced batches based on unique BatchCode values stored on the server. This will enable you to easily distinguish records uploaded from their respective batches from various mobile devices. This also addresses if you use the synchronization batch size property and multiple users are syncing simultaneously. Hope this helps.

Note: I have been working on a disconnected expense and scheduling check in apps and have coded for all the nuances regarding disconnected data. it is critical to protect that data from being refreshed inadvertently (lost) from the server via filters, refresh options, improper app shutdown, etc.

Comment

I know, but
                what is the point the stored proc or ?

Comment

Hi Frank. Good to hear from you. That is helpful.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
                    How is your Detail View Synchronization Policy set up?
                    It seems to be working. I can't remember what I did yesterday, if i turned the policy on or what? Really not sure. But I don't have anything checked in the policy.

To sync I'm using: {dialog.object}.saveListEdits('LPN_LIST',{rows: 'allRows'});

But now it's definitely not pulling any records back. I don't even need a filter in the list. I can delete the list contents and then only new data is displayed. When I sync the list it pushes the data to the server a-ok.

Now what I don't get is why it's clearing default values of the controls on syncs?
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Right... by default a sync pushes data to the server... it doesn't pull anything from the server... which is why details and testing are so important.

Comment

i don't disagree. But sometimes you don't understand why something isn't working and you start changing things and you're not sure...
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

i don't disagree. But sometimes you don't understand why something isn't working and you start changing things and you're not sure...
                          I hate when that happens...
                          Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Sorry. I mispoke in my original post.
                            This would be an explicit push to the server
                            {dialog.object}.saveListEdits('LPN_LIST',{rows: 'allRows'});

Turn off all write-conflicts if that is not a requirement meaning your device will always take precedence.

Use this to refresh the list from the server explicitly.
                            {dialog.object}.refreshListData('List1');

OR
                            Use this to re-filter your data AFTER your list is synced to the server.
                            This would be your action java script to filter the data you want returned from the server based on some search
                            {grid.object}.runAction('SearchFilter'); values.

If your list is still dirty or your data has not been synced, you may have a write conflict or invalid data that can't be saved to the server.
                            Hope this helps.
                            Last edited by frankiez; 05-19-2017, 09:41 AM.

Comment

No that's fixed. I can push w/o pulling. Somehow when I started I pulled in all the data, thus my confusion.
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X