Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Mysql Connection String

"Certified" Alphaholic Phil Rolf's Avatar
    Real Name
    Philip Rolf

Default Mysql Connection String

I am attempting to access my form entries (mysql) from a plugin within Wordpress. I opened my wp config file and have the user name and password. When I go to build the connection string I keep getting errors. It appears to be the HOSTNAME that is causing the problem.

My WP is hosted at Godaddy. If you go to phpadmin (within the Cpanel) the path says LOCALHOST. That does not work (how does A5 know where to go with this), then I went to my cpanel and found the IP for the site. I enter the IP and still get connection errors. Can anyone provide the correct format for accessing my Godaddy WP databases?

Thanks
    Phil

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: Mysql Connection String

Might try the web/mobile section. Not much of that here in the desktop area.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Philip Rolf

Will the formating be the same as it is in the Alpha Anywhere section?

Thanks
    Phil

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Govindan Gandhi

i think these are something to consider:
    if alpha software resides in the same server it will be able to use the "localhost" for mysql server, that won't be a problem.
    if not then
    you need to get the database url, probably an extension of the server at godaddy with some suffix. you can login at godaddy and go to admin page and look for db url. once you know then you can construct the url in alpha with a port number 3306.
    then the mysql should be enabled for remote access. then you should be able to connect to the distant db via alpha.
    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
    mysql backend
    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
    ggandhi344@gmail.com
    1 914 924 5171

Real Name
    Philip Rolf

When I go to godaddy and pull up the db, this is what is at the top of the page "Server: localhost:3306

Is there somewhere within phpmyadmin where I can find the path...

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Look at your php code or config.php In your file system and you may get the path wp is using to het to the db.
    Also, be aware thsat a lot of hosts now are using mariadb as the real db host, not MySQL.

Had a few issues with that at the other major hosting company(Namecheap.com). They don't always tell you. Namecheap did help me a ton with the issues. Do not expect that from Godaddy.
    Lost one Joomla site completely. On the switch over one whole table was lost from db.

You may need to look into the ssh capabilities as well. Look in your cpanel for the label(ssh access).

I actually refuse jobs on Godaddy and never work with WP Blogs.

SSH allows secure file transfer and remote logins over the internet. Your connection via SSH is encrypted allowing the secure connection. In this section you can manage your SSH keys to allow automation when logging in via SSH. Using public key authentication is an alternative to password authentication. Since the private key must be held to authenticate, it is virtually impossible to brute force. You can import existing keys, generate new keys, as well as manage/delete keys.
    SSH (Secure Shell) is a program to log into another computer/server over a network securely. It provides strong authentication and secure communications over insecure channels. Your login, commands, text are all encrypted when using ssh.

Hope I helped some
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Localhost is if you're in the Hosted server. Your 3306 is pretty standard for Linux.

It appears you are on a ahared server where the db's are not directly available in your site, but in a folder share over all that are assigned to that server. They are basically differentiated by the name of the site and then the db name.
    I have one where the db is actually pw_joom189, pw means it is par of my pw site. joom189 is the real db name
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Philip Rolf

I was able to connect after talking to 3 different agents at Godaddy. I had to add my IP address to the Remote MySQL portion of the Cpanel. Once I did that I was able to connect. Now onto settings things up. Thanks to everyone for your help. Hopefully I can take it from here.

Phil

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Wp databases at godaddy shared hosting installed by the default install are not a public DB. Talk to GoDaddy support to get what you need.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.