Alpha Video Training

Thread: How to create a portal for 6 existing WEB apllications

"Certified" Alphaholic Ronald Anusiewicz's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ronald Anusiewicz

Default How to create a portal for 6 existing WEB apllications

Over the last 2 years, I have created 6 mobile web apps all totally independent of each other. Each app has it's own security system with a list of users and permissions. Each app has been built using ux components. The only web pages are index and denied.

Just recently, I was asked if I could create a Portal where a user could log in just once and have access to all the apps by just clicking on a button.

I'm sure this can be done. However; my background is desktop and I'm not sure how to do this in the web environment.

Where could I find an outline or example of how to build something like this.

Thank you
    Alpha Anywhere v3.5
    Version 12.3, Build 2999
    MySql56 & DBF's

Alpha 4, 5, Anywhere

Ron Anusiewicz

Alpha Software Employee Beta Spark's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Default Re: How to create a portal for 6 existing WEB apllications

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Anusiewicz View Post
    Over the last 2 years, I have created 6 mobile web apps all totally independent of each other. Each app has it's own security system with a list of users and permissions. Each app has been built using ux components. The only web pages are index and denied.

Just recently, I was asked if I could create a Portal where a user could log in just once and have access to all the apps by just clicking on a button.

I'm sure this can be done. However; my background is desktop and I'm not sure how to do this in the web environment.

Where could I find an outline or example of how to build something like this.

Thank you
    Hello Ronald,

We have an article on this topic, "Sharing Web Security Across Multiple Projects". This should help you get started: https://www.alphasoftware.com/docume...ple%20projects
    Sarah Mitchell

Looking for answers? Try our documentation.
    If you can't find something, let us know!

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Might be easier to implement a persistent login, in other words setting things up from the beginning to have dynamic connection strings would have made it easier but my guess is at this point you would really have to think this through. - why not just add the components to a new app called - the multiapp?
    In other words throw all the "APPS" components in together in one app available via a menu...
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

"Certified" Alphaholic Ronald Anusiewicz's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ronald Anusiewicz

If I was starting from scratch, if would be a lot easier. Unfortunately, I was learning how to build WEB apps so I started real simple and with each, the complexity grew.

In other words throw all the "APPS" components in together in one app available via a menu...
    That will work. My only issue will be security as each app has it's own unique requirements. Sarah's link should help.

Thanks
    Alpha Anywhere v3.5
    Version 12.3, Build 2999
    MySql56 & DBF's

Alpha 4, 5, Anywhere

Ron Anusiewicz

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

I know I started out REAL simple without any knowledge really, and Alpha Software gave me the ability to create my web application where no other software could. Like you the complexity has grown, along with the knowledge I gained here. My wife can attest to the cursing, and my firm belief I was too stupid to do this - but I never gave up.

Maybe you need an all NEW security table that combines everyone and perhaps as we all know any associated tables that define the user in other ways. It's just a thought. Anyway - good luck, and I am sure you will it figure out!
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"