Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Uncaught TypeError on Grid after installing latest Alpha release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncaught TypeError on Grid after installing latest Alpha release

Hello. After upgrading to the latest release (4491_4932), my web-based app that was running fine started displaying the following error in Chrome and Firefox (latest versions) when entering data in the Search part of a Grid:

Message: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'tagName' of undefined
    Source: http://localhost:8030/javascript/a5-44914932.js
    Line: : 41
    Column: 211

Stack:
    TypeError: Cannot read property 'tagName' of undefined
    at $gvs (http://localhost:8030/javascript/a5-44914932.js:41:211)
    at klass._srClear (http://localhost:8030/javascript/a5-...32.js:1073:389)
    at HTMLInputElement_blur (http://localhost:8030/javascript/a5-...32.js:1063:531)
    at HTMLInputElementwFunc (http://localhost:8030/javascript/a5-44914932.js:180:134)

...normally the trace info ends here, but ocassionally the following lines also appear after the above info:

at klass._populateCont (http://localhost:8030/javascript/a5-...2.js:2459:2347)
    at eval (eval at _eval (http://localhost:8030/javascript/a5-44914932.js:248:97), <anonynmous>:9:35)
    at Function._eval (http://localhost:8030/javascript/a5-44914932.js:248:97)
    at http://localhost:8030/javascript/a5-44914932.js:246:305

Interestingly, no errors appear when running the app in Internet Explorer (V11.0) and it's only happening in one of the many grids in my app.

The search part is comprised of several fields that are all Edit-Combo lists defined with the standard Alpha "Lookup definition" property. No user-defined Javascript functions are invoked during this part of the app. The grid does not have a detail part and is called from a TabbedUI. The initial state of the search part is closed and no errors occur when the grid is initially displayed.

When I open the search part, I can enter criteria in one or more fields and do the first search without any problem. However, when I click into any of the fields in the search part after the initial search is completed or click on "clear search criteria", the above error appears. I can then click "OK" in the stack trace window, successfully modify or clear the search criteria, and continue with the grid displaying the correct data.

I also found if I continue doing searches, clicking through the stack trace window every time it appears, after 5 or 6 searches, the error stops happening. I have no idea how to determine the cause of this issue or what information I need to supply to diagnose it. All I found is that for some reason it works just fine in IE but not in any other browser.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated!
    Last edited by pcsystems; 09-08-2017, 12:20 AM.

Re: Uncaught TypeError on Grid after installing latest Alpha release

Hi,

That release introduced overly aggressive JS error capturing. Try the current prerelease - much better.

Cheers

Comment

If you haven't already make sure you recalculate your UX components. If the component is prerendered you'll want to recalculate it at the component level and not use bulk recalculating.

EDIT: Someone will inevitably challenge me on the "not use bulk recalculating part". Email from Jerry at Alpha ...

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The process for both is essentially the same, except in the case of pre-rendered UX. The bulk process does not appear to rebuild the pre-render sections. We are looking at a number of solutions to make updating builds more seamless, and not require the developer to update any UX when they update a build.
      Mike Brown - Contact Me
      Programmatic Technologies, LLC
      Programmatic-Technologies.com
      Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

See these pre-release notes:

http://aadocuments.s3.amazonaws.com/...easeNotes.Html

For an explanation, search for "Detailed Javascript Error Reporting", it is under Build 4528.

Comment

Oh great! ...so it looks like the issue I wrote about is resolved.
          Mike Brown - Contact Me
          Programmatic Technologies, LLC
          Programmatic-Technologies.com
          Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

The latest pre-release also has a new bulk UX update process where you can select to recalculate all controls when you update. It is covered in the release notes under Web Control Panel - Bulk Operations UX Components

Comment

Thanks for your help in resolving this! After spending several days trying to track it down, I am very relieved! Since the component is a Grid, the "recalculate UX" process had no effect, but installing pre-release 4574 stopped the error from appearing.

As a relative JS newbie, I am curious as to what actually causes a "benign JS error" like this and why are they "acceptable"? Are they usually present in apps, just suppressed? How would I know if an issue is benign or critical and needs to be resolved?

Comment

Because JavaScript is asynchronous, it is possible for commands to run in unexpected sequences. For example, it is possible for a command intended to change the style of a control to run after a different command has destroyed the object that contains the control. That will throw an error if the code doesn't first check to see if the control still exists, or the error isn't trapped. Similarly, some actions run on a timer event (setTimeout), so the action may run well after an object that set the event has gone away.

This is a condition that can occur on Tabbed UI components as closing a tab destroys the object that was on the tab.

Another condition is some actions could be associated with the "window" object (basically the whole page) or some other object on the page like a different component. Such code may assume (incorrectly) that an object or control referenced by JavaScript will always exist.

Since the action is now meaningless (nothing to act upon), it doesn't impact any functionality. Since functionality isn't impacted, it is possible for such errors to exist but never be identified or even noticed.

One of the reasons build 4491 included detailed error reporting was to capture these previously hidden "errors" as it was very difficult to identify they even existed. The current pre-release builds no longer show the error message boxes, but some errors could still exist. The detailed error trapping can still be turned on for testing if desired.

JavaScript can be very complex, and although it is a "standard", not all browsers behave exactly the same or run the code in exactly the same sequence. Even in the same browser, a series of commands could run in a slightly difference order every time the sequence is called. This can occasionally result in an error or unexpected actions.

The Alpha Anywhere JavaScript library has extensive fault checking and error trapping, and we are constantly enhancing and developing the code to make it more robust. But we have no control over developer code, and it is possible some edge condition could occur that was never anticipated. If a problem is found in our code, we fix it immediately.

Comment

Jerry, thanks so much for your great explanation! Definitely gives me a better understanding of the process...

Comment

Any chance of a configuration option to turn off that error?

The Grid component has been operational for a year and the issue started with a recent republishing of the Grid for cosmetic changes.

We only get the error in Chrome. Maybe a Chrome setting?

Same A5-44914932.js location. Of course that code has been deleted by the time I go looking for it.

Installing Pre-Release or back level is ugly. On the current 4491.
                    Last edited by CarlMPearson; 09-15-2017, 04:24 PM.
                    Carl ~ Dallas, TX
                    I'm so old that pool balls came with Roman Numerals

Comment

Carl, the latest production build is 4584 and it resolves the issue. Installed it last night and the grids all work fine now. There is a property on the grid now under the "Advanced" section labeled "Capture detailed Javascript error information" which is turned off by default (what we want). Check that box if you still want to see the stack trace of errors as they occur.

Comment

Wow. Ask and I shall receive! I expected to have a weekend from h*ll working this one down.

When I fire up Alpha Developer and check for updates, it still says I'm current.
                        "You have the current version of Alpha Anywhere. (Build 4491_4932)"

BUT I see the new production version on the patch site. 4584_4961

Thank you for bothering to reply to this. Really. It shows the brotherhood of Alpha.

Look me up if you happen to go to the Devcon this year. Beverages included!

I normally hang back a month or so on new releases, but this one is worth the risk.
                        Carl ~ Dallas, TX
                        I'm so old that pool balls came with Roman Numerals

Comment

Working...
                        X