Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Small but powerful trick for fast summits using the list control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small but powerful trick for fast summits using the list control

Hi everyone - I meant to share this months ago and forgot all about it, its about one of the things that slow the response back to the List on a submit.

The 2 minute video explains the benefit and the thing to avoid doing.

Play Video

Cheers.

Pete
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Re: Small but powerful trick for fast summits using the list control

Cool Pete!

Are you saying when you define the SQL query in the List property, there is a delay if 'that' query contains an ORDER BY clause?
    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Actually, are you saying the refresh would take a long time? That would make sense because the reason it appears to be faster is that you have already brought the data in and are only sorting client side and then doing an incremental refresh on that row...if I saw that right. Are you sure it is the ORDER by clause?
      NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Knowing what the List control does during a sync... and testing the posted theory... I can't agree. There are a ton of variables involved here... but... using a MySQL table of 830 rows, and looking at Network timing for List load and then List sync... the SQL ORDER BY is actually milliseconds faster.

Pete, can you show more than just anecdotal evidence that the claims in your video are valid? I didn't see any comparison or timings.

Comment

Let me tell you something.. anecdotal is it (definition - not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.) so it's my personal account - try it or don't.. words like evidence, claims etc. Are all over the top. This kind of response is why I really resist posting these days and I think many of the the names that used to post here may feel the same, this is a message board an area of contribution, not prosecution, contributors messages may or may not help some all or, what matters is the contribution.
          Pete
          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
            Let me tell you something.. anecdotal is it (definition - not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.) so it's my personal account - try it or don't.. words like evidence, claims etc. Are all over the top. This kind of response is why I really resist posting these days and I think many of the the names that used to post here may feel the same, this is a message board an area of contribution, not prosecution, contributors messages may or may not help some all or, what matters is the contribution.
            Pete
            well said.
            +1
            thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
            mysql backend
            http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
            [email protected]
            1 914 924 5171

Comment

Re: Small but powerful trick for fast summits using the list control - Just the facts - sir

Pete, Im sorry. I really thought you would be more interested in finding out what is really going on, I am not knocking you in any way and appreciate the fact that you took the time to post, I consider this group more about getting to the facts of the how and why. I also think that right or wrong your post is beneficial to the whole.
              DO not take my post as a dig on your competency, in my eyes your my superior.

With all that said, I still think your not seeing what you beleive you are and agree with david based on my limited experience with a row expander. A FULL REFRESH on a per row basis is what I think the order by clause is causing in some way which is why the incremental refresh on a single row while everything else is already client side is faster. Now I could be dead wrong, I am NOT an expert in anyway. While a row expander is NOT the same I think the issue is. Please do not hesitate to post as it helps us all. I have seen where adding a table in the sql query and using a group by clause to include the other table added a signifigant time increase while a view was much faster - point is there are often many things that can cause an issue and others that appear to "fix" while not actually being the cause of the bottle neck in the first place.

Either way, don't take offense. Your a great guy and your contributions help others. Finding the answer as to WHY the thing is faster is way more important. If David is wrong, he would probably be really interested as to why, if you're wrong we will have all learned somthing. It's a good thing all around, and again please do not take offense at my comments.
              ~Cheers
              NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

But Pete... there's no evidence that what you posted is based in anything real. Your video only shows you updating a List. If you showed both methods with timings for support I would have said... yikes... let's look into this and figure out why. If you posted a couple of sample components showing the difference that would have been great.

Let's think about anyone new getting into Alpha... and coming across your post. They'd be thinking that client-side sorting is the only way to work with Lists. Let's think about some experienced enterprise person trying to figure out if Alpha is something their company should be using... and then reading your post and thinking that SQL statements that include ORDER BY clauses slow down List updates.

There are a ton of variables involved here... and if you could show why your List updates are faster... based on the way you've configured your List Control... then that's what this board is for.

And I did try it... with a MySQL table of 830 records...

Client-side sort: Initial Load between 2.25s and 2.53s. Initial update: 475ms. Subsequent updates: average 200ms.
                Server-side sort: Initial Load between 2.28s and 2.53s. Initial update: 475ms. Subsequent updates: average 174ms.

Again... a buckets of variables will impact all of this. But your blanket statement doesn't have a basis.

Comment

Pete, my apologies if my reply offended you in some way, certainly was no intent on my part. I was just trying to clarify what I thought you were saying is all.

You have much more experience than I so please do not stop posting. Your posts are usually different than most and always interesting!
                  Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Let me clarify. SQL Server.

Comment

Which Version of SQL Server? I just tested with the same table, 830 Rows, under SQL Server 2016. Same results as MySQL... which isn't surprising.

Server-side sort: Initial load time between 2.21s and 2.55s. Updates averaging 170ms.
                      Client-size sort: Initial load time between of 2.25s and 2.71s. Updates averages 185ms.

The results you're seeing could be something specific you're doing with the UX or with the List Control.

By the way... really nice app design.

Comment

Thanks - I will look into this - just under the pump right now flying to the USA (in 2 days) for a month of business meetings and the DEVCON - so will get some time flying to put something together. All you guys relax, i'm not offended, just making a point.
                        Cheers.
                        Pete

Comment

Hey Pete,
                          Were you able to work on alpha while on the airplane? I remember trying to work in Alpha Ver 11 on an airplane where my laptop had no Internet connection. Even though my app needed nothing at all from the Internet, I could not get my component to run correctly in the browser - it thought the server was offline and it refused to recognize I was using a local server.

Turns out that Alpha thought of this issue and built the little known method "{dialog.Object}._setSimulatedOnlineStatus(mode)" into the UX. Where mode is 'off', 'on' or an empty string to reset the behavior to default mode. There is probably something similar for a Grid.

Comment

i loved the app ... would like to see demo for this i can do marketing purpose .. is it related to health care ?
                            nice work Pete...
                            To live anywhere in the world today and be against equality because of race or color is like living in Alaska and being against snow.�

- William Faulkner

Comment

Yes its a medical event measuring application that persists every event duration of a Patient in care, Patient/Provider interaction and duration in each physical location within one or more clinics, hospitals or entities. Being persisted to the database every event by Patient or Provider or between each of them can be replayed at anytime show the duration of each interaction event. The application will persist some 50,000 event duration with audit a day in a small clinical environment. The events are tracked by RFID badges worn by the Patients ans Providers. No issue using AA on the plane as I have a copy of the SQL Server on my SurfacePro.

Here's another example to give you an idea.
                              Deidentified.png

Comment

Working...
                              X