Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Data Driven Forms Parsing JSON Splitter that may help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Driven Forms Parsing JSON Splitter that may help.

If you are building forms from the Template this code may help.

Video of Data Driven Forms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xVtxn3Y6lM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

function getName(){
    // get the value of the JSON data returned by the form
    var result = {dialog.Object}.getValue('JSON');
    //If there is no data we do not want to loop through "result" so we set our display message and write it to the div with an id result
    var txt = 'No extra results';

if(result.length > 1){
    //if we have data then we set txt to an empty string.
    txt = '';

jQuery.each(jQuery.parseJSON(result), function(k, v) {
    // we are building the display string
    txt = txt + k + ': is ' + v + '<br>';

});

}

document.getElementById("result").innerHTML = txt;

}
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The output looks something like this
    Field1: value entered by the user
    Field2: value entered by the user
    Fieldn: value entered by the user

Not very pretty but all fields in the JSON are displayed on a new line.

Re: Data Driven Forms Parsing JSON Splitter that may help.

Kind of a related question that comes to mind is, "How to setup Selwyn's data driven from to behave like a real LISTBOX or GRID that has multiple rows(records) and fields (columns)?" Trying to dump the data from that type of form is not quite as easy or more precisely getting the ViewBox to store the data changes for posting back to the server isn't so easy.

Comment

Here the list box is bound to a UX and you can edit the viewbox by clicking on the element you want to edit.

http://www.datadrivensystems.co.uk/alphasnip/ashobiz/

Our form data does not lend itself to being displayed in a table because of the changing structure.

I think your question is interesting for people collecting rows of identical data. Are you hoping to edit the form data after it is collected?

Comment

I have my form working, but there must be a much easier way of doing it than what I found. Selwyn's video tripped me up a little bit because it treats each row in the viewbox as a field and not a record. So, in your example it would be like trying to send the three properties: SubHeading, Percent, CSSClass for each row in the ViewBox to the server to processed by an xBasic function. It's easy to send the data from the repeating sections (where the data is edited) up to the server. But sending it from just the Viewbox's data array was a challenge. I'd like to know the best way of doing that.

Comment

The method we follow

Let's talk about a service booking program.

So the services are

1 Beauty
          2 Airport pick up
          3 Speedboat.

So for these services, we have created some hard-coded fields

Who is requesting the service?
          Where will the service be performed?
          What date?
          What Time?

This is all handled by a mapping to predefined SQL columns.

As we don't understand every question to be asked we have a free form editor.

Beauty extra fields.
          Do you want tea or coffee?
          Do you want Betty or Marge?

Airport pick up.
          Do you require child seats?
          How many bags?
          Any extra large items?

Speedboat
          How many guests?
          Will you be fishing?
          Number of very large life vests
          The number of children life vests?

This text is saved as name value pairs. This is the text I am splitting. It is saved in one column per record.

Example both strings are saved in the same column just different records

Stored
          {"Where":"In horizon hotel","DropPlace":"In khalifa mall","Passengers":2}

Displayed
          Where: In horizon hotel
          DropPlace: In khalifa mall
          Passengers: 2

Stored
          {"integer":2,"Phone":"085640911080","item":true,"radioButton":"Alpha"}

Displayed
          integer:2
          Phone:085640911080
          item:true
          radioButton: Alpha

The code I published splits without you having to know the "Key" so the name in the name value pair is not a problem and you do not have to predefine it in the way you normally define a column in SQL.

Comment

There is a way to do what you want with a normal list control. I developed a component that I'll be demoing at the DevCon. Are you going to be at the DevCon?

Comment

Yes, will be at Devcon. I am at Heathrow now and flying in a few hours. I will sleep at the Viking tonight

Comment

Look forward to seeing you.
                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

I will not be at DevCon this year. (sad face)

Sean, I assume you were talking about Michael's example.

Just for the record, I looked at using the regular LISTBOX with a freeform template layout, but I did not see how I would be able to edit data from both a parent table and a one-to-many child table. The Nested SQL that can be setup for a ViewBox really seemed to fit what I needed. I'd just would like to know:

How to postpone gathering of the ViewBox's underlying data array until a submit button is clicked. At the moment I constantly rebuild the "value" of the viewbox as a JSON string the instant a change occurs from editing data in the ViewBox, like Selwyn's example. I think the solution has to do with calling my attached custom function of the ViewBox with a js "apply()" with a proper "this" value. It would be helpful if Selwyn had an example of collecting row and column values from a ViewBox just at the time of Submit.

Comment

Working...
                  X