Alpha Video Training

Thread: UX Charts not displaying after Alpha Upgrade

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

Default UX Charts not displaying after Alpha Upgrade

My client is running an older version of Alpha (Still V12, but older).

They are installing to a new server and wanted to update to the latest and greatest. However, when they do so, their UX charts are no longer displaying.

After some testing, we discovered that the latest release of Alpha they can use is the 5/13/16 release. (I told you it was old!)

If they move to the 5/26/16 release (12.4.1 Build 3633.) the charts stop displaying. They tested other later versions also - none of them work. If they downgrade to their old version, all works fine.

The symptom is that the charts are completely blank. There are no errors displayed, there are no javascript errors showing up in the console. The image for the chart is where it is supposed to be, but the image is blank instead of having the chart in it.

These are standard UX charts being populated with a combination of xbasic and javascript.

I looked in the release notes for that version and don't see anything that relates to charts. It was just formview and phonegap fixes.

Everything else appears to work fine - even charts that are embedded in reports. It is only charts that are controls on a UX that seem to be affected.

Any suggestions where I should look to find the issue?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: UX Charts not displaying after Alpha Upgrade

Can you post a sample UX showing this issue?

At some point Alpha started loading google libraries as needed. Is it possible something is being doubled up?

What kind of charts are they?
    Last edited by Davidk; 11-30-2017 at 04:05 PM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

The application uses Sybase SQL Anywhere for it's back-end database.

The charts are part of a larger UX displaying a variety of dashboard items.

If it comes down to it, I can break out just the chart into a separate UX, but that doesn't fix the back-end issue.

I can also try recreating the chart from scratch in the newer version to see if it's simply missing something.

Now that I think of it, I didn't try recalculating all controls on the component after doing the upgrade. Might be worth a try...

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

recalculating didn't help.

The client is sending me a full copy of the application. If I can come up with a small test UX that shows the issue, I'll put it up here. (Or I'll just send it to Selwyn ...)

Real Name
    Ger Kurvers

New server maybe new Ip adress..... Does your client need an google api key and has he one? (existing applications on old ip adresses keep working even without key if needed if i recollect correct).
    Ger Kurvers
    Alpha Anywhere / V4.5.5.0- Build 5667
    Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2012 R2

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

This is a standard, built-in, UX chart control running off a data-series. We are not using Google and don't even have a Google api for anything in this system.

If we use the 5/13/16 release, it works. If we upgrade to anything after that, it doesn't work.

It doesn't have anything to do with the IP address. It fails the same in development mode and on the server.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

I suppose a bug report might be in order?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

Working toward that, but when I send a bug report I like to send an example with it and I'm not to that point yet.

The customer sent me the most updated version of their code and db. I'm going to try recreating the charts from scratch in a separate UX over the weekend.

I'm also going to try setting the chart to static data. Right now it's running off Sybase, so it won't be easy for Selwyn to test.

I was really hoping someone else was using these charts and had the same issue (only a year ago!), but I guess not!

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

You're right. Bug reports with an example can be a bear.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

When the client is setting up for their testing, they are installing 3633, for example, on their server and then re-publishing their components from Alpha Development Release 3633?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

Note: I built an app for my customer a few years ago. They run the app I built on several servers for several of their clients. Each is licensed. Though they have licenses, they have not updated Alpha since the final release of the product (in 2016) and they have not made a lot of changes to the software. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? I have not even heard from them in over a year - so the product generally works well.

Jump to the present:

My customer got a new client that wants to run this software. They figured - as long as we are installing new, let's get the latest of everything!

So, they upgraded themselves to the latest release of Alpha, then installed that release on the server, just assuming all would be fine.

When they tested on the server, everything worked except those charts.

Then they tested them on their developer machine and it didn't work there either.

So I got a phone call ...

We tried a few things and I convinced them to try a downgrade. After the downgrade on the development machine and the server all worked fine again. At that point, getting the customer up and running was important, so we let they customer start working while we took testing local.

So they installed one update at a time on their developer machine until it broke. We were hoping there would be something in the release notes of that version to give us a hint as to what is wrong, but it didn't work out that way.

We also try the things discussed in posts above.

At this point they have given me back all of the code (my copy is 2 year's old) and a copy of the DB so I can continue testing to see if I can fix the issue for them so they can upgrade everybody to the same, current version.

I am going to try to setup a sample UX, but I'm also going to try out the latest Javascript Charts to see if I can just replace the old UX charts instead.

And that is the story to date.