Alpha Video Training

Thread: JSON Error With Phonegap Build

Real Name
    Greg Carmody

Default JSON Error With Phonegap Build

Hi,

I converted my phonegap app to use client-side data caching instead of SQL access. I have a couple of list controls that I populate with data from the cache using the setListColumnsAndPopulate method.

So I can run the app using 'Live Preview" and it will also run in Chrome without any issues. However, when I try it on Android tablet after phonegap build, I get this error as soon as the app starts:

----------------------------------------------
    Alert
    Error - Could not JSON.parse data in file
    ----------------------------------------------

I don't really know where to start debugging this ? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Greg

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: JSON Error With Phonegap Build

You'd have to post a sample UX showing this error. Where is the error occurring? At what point? Is it setListColumnsAndPopupate? Is it the data cache?

Android is very simple to set up for debugging. Search the Web for Android debugging and you'll find how to set it up on your device... and how it works when the device is connected via a cable to your PC.
    Once you have debugging set up, the console errors will give you more detail.

Real Name
    Greg Carmody

It looks like the error is occurring with the data cache. Android is trying to load a file, "http://192.168.0.4:1580/EDCMobile/A5SessionFile/jobs.json" and can't find it. (jobs is one of the entries in my client-side data cache). I checked the link to the file, and the directory "A5SessionFile" doesn't exist.

Here is the excerpt from logcat:
    12-08 13:03:10.964 18460-18510/au.com.hymans.mobile_edc D/FileTransfer: download http://192.168.0.4:1580/EDCMobile/A5...File/jobs.json to file:///data/user/0/au.com.hymans.mobile_edc/files/files/__AADataCache/A5SessionFile/jobs.json
    12-08 13:03:10.966 18460-18533/au.com.hymans.mobile_edc D/FileTransfer: Download file:http://192.168.0.4:1580/EDCMobile/A5...File/jobs.json
    12-08 13:03:10.972 18460-18533/au.com.hymans.mobile_edc D/NetworkSecurityConfig: No Network Security Config specified, using platform default
    12-08 13:03:10.978 18460-18533/au.com.hymans.mobile_edc I/System.out: (HTTPLog)-Static: isSBSettingEnabled false
    12-08 13:03:10.979 18460-18533/au.com.hymans.mobile_edc I/System.out: (HTTPLog)-Static: isSBSettingEnabled false
    12-08 13:03:11.042 18460-18533/au.com.hymans.mobile_edc E/FileTransfer: {"code":1,"source":"http:\/\/192.168.0.4:1580\/EDCMobile\/A5SessionFile\/jobs.json","target":"file:\/\/\/data\/user\/0\/au.com.hymans.mobile_edc\/files\/files\/__AADataCache\/A5SessionFile\/jobs.json","body":"\u001f�\b\u0000��*Z\u0000�]PAn�0\u0010�#��\u0001�\t\u0004�HV��\u0004.�D�\u001ezt�ld��v@�^z�����j�.�Ӯ��Z\u0010����N\u00052\u001e��^aU�%�\u001b\u000f{3iN�\/\u0019�$����g�\u0016�7\u00033��\u0002����#���\u0011H���� \u0015�zsA���fp��\u0019\n\u000f�@\u0007��h\u0004��B:ph�h�pkL\u0007m��s\u001b<�Z��A��\u000f�\u0016��;*3�P{�$\u001d)VY\u000e��T���X���\n��

Real Name
    Greg Carmody

Here is the remainer of the error from Logcat:
    java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://192.168.0.4:1580/EDCMobile/A5...File/jobs.json
    at com.android.okhttp.internal.huc.HttpURLConnectionImpl.getInputStream(HttpURLConnectionImpl.java:254)
    at org.apache.cordova.filetransfer.FileTransfer.getInputStream(FileTransfer.java:588)
    at org.apache.cordova.filetransfer.FileTransfer.access$500(FileTransfer.java:69)
    at org.apache.cordova.filetransfer.FileTransfer$4.run(FileTransfer.java:878)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1133)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:607)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:762)

Not sure why it is trying to access a json file on the server (192.168.0.4 is the ip of the server). I would have thought it would be sending sql to get the data from the db, then populating the data to a json file on the client?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Greg

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Are the versions for your plugins set?

Real Name
    Greg Carmody

Yes. However it keep generating duplicates without the version numbers everytime I do a save and submit to phonegap.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Right... then you're using an Alpha version that is not the current pre-release? And it's a mess.

So, Save only... and then in the Confirmation dialog that pops up, click the link "Click here to view/edit the PhoneGap Build XML configuration file". Check your plugins for versions... delete the duplicates... save it... and then, when you're returned to the Confirmation dialog, click Submit.

Real Name
    Greg Carmody

Same error......any other ideas?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

You'll have to submit the issue to Alpha.

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Try using the PreRelease ONLY for the phonegap publishing. It is working for us, although it could cause other issues. Try it and let me know how it goes. I have asked Selwyn when the Stable verison will be updated, and I'm hoping very soon.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

That's unknowingly dangerous. You've no idea what's going on behind the scenes while Alpha is generating the code needed for PhoneGap Build. You're taking a component developed and tested in one version and pushing it through processes in a much higher version. You've no idea if, when, where, it could break.

Real Name
    Greg Carmody

Will stick with the current release in that case. It is building without an issue if I follow the instructions provided by David to modify the config.xml before submit.

Back to the original issue, I had a change to my approach re using client-side data cache. After it became obvious it would be a major effort to sync changes back to the cache, and then sync the cache back to the db, I have eliminated the data cache and converted my drop-down controls to list controls. That way I can setup a hierarchy of list controls, and use the persist feature of the parent list control to cache the data for offline use, and also be able to sync back to the db once back online.

Eliminating the data cache seems to have fixed the JSON parse error.

Greg

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Hey David, you are right - but it worked fine. The new stable release fixes the issue though, so we only had a short period of time to worry about.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

No such thing as a new stable release... just a new official release. Check out the new pre-releases which fix the official release.