Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sparkpost Webhooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sparkpost Webhooks

I see sparkpost offers webhooks, and they want me to give them a page to send data to in setting up the webhook.

Can anyone help me understand what I would need on the page to capture the data and save it to a table?
    I want to at a minimum, get a read receipt or an "open" confirmation on an email sent and save it to a table for later manipulation via AA.

I am not experienced in this area at all. I tried reading the documentation, but as this is totally new ground - I don't get it.
    I get that they are sending the information TO the page and the page needs to say hello in some way. I also understand that I will need to do something to save the info as it comes in so I can manipulate it later - so that's what I do know - now HOW to do that is another thing.

Thanks for any advice.
    It is snowing here in New Orleans, so it is like I woke up in the wrong area of the country - let's just say I have some time to sit in front of my PC today...
    It might as well be raining frozen cat turds in my opinion today.
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Re: Sparkpost Webhooks

This is one of those things that seems complicated... and may even be documented as complicated... but is so straight forward.

You need to create an a5w page with only XBasic tags in it... no meta tags, no html tags... nothing.

Code:
    <%a5

debug(1)

'Verification Request Variables
    'name will drive everything.

dim name as c = if(variable_exists("request.variables.name"),request.variables.name,"name not found")
    if name = "name not found" then
    	'something hit this page... but not what we wanted...just end
    	end 
    end if

%>
    It's all pure XBasic between the tags. Sparkpost will tell you what request variables they're sending in their Webhook call. You get them as in the example above. If my a5w page was named SparkpostWebhook... then Sparkpost would send out a call like...

Code:
    http://www.yoursitename.com/SparkpostWebhook.a5w?name=test&otherparam=test2
    This means that 2 Request Variables are available for you to process... name... and... otherparm.

Sometimes a site requires that you send back an "Everything is ok" response... so... if all is good... you send back...

Code:
    Response.Status_Code = 200
    The only way to test this stuff is to add in a debug(1) statement, set the request variables manually, and then click the LivePreview tab.

Once things are ok in debug, then you can run the page yourself providing request variables for testing.

Comment

well according to sparkpost the test was successful and my server responded. Can't I load the page live and set an alert box with the stuff they sent to see it and confirm I am getting something?
      NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Think about that process. Sparkpost executes the callback and sends data to your page. Sparkpost does that. How are you going to load that page live to see the stuff Sparkpost sent?

The only reason for a Webhook is to capture something that happened with Sparkpost... something good... or something bad. Usually you want to save that data... or message... or whatever Sparkpost sent. So... capture it. You're running XBasic... you've got the data in the Request Variables... open a connection, and perform a SQL Insert... or Update... to your back end database.

Comment

Ok, getting somewhere now but still not exactly sure whats up - hope you can help me piece this together. First of all within sparkpost they allow for testing and when I click the test button there they claim they are sending this data to my webhook URL:

Code:
          POST /sparkpost_webhook.a5w HTTP/1.1
          Host: www.nwcopro.com
          Content-Type: application/json
          X-MessageSystems-Batch-ID: 77c2b630-d712-11e4-9642-efc2723b99c1
          Connection: close

[
            {
              "msys": {
                "message_event": {
                  "type": "delivery",
                  "campaign_id": "Example Campaign Name",
                  "customer_id": "1",
                  "delv_method": "esmtp",
                  "device_token": "45c19189783f867973f6e6a5cca60061ffe4fa77c547150563a1192fa9847f8a",
                  "event_id": "92356927693813856",
                  "friendly_from": "[email protected]",
                  "ip_address": "127.0.0.1",
                  "ip_pool": "Example-Ip-Pool",
                  "message_id": "000443ee14578172be22",
                  "msg_from": "[email protected]",
                  "msg_size": "1337",
                  "num_retries": "2",
                  "queue_time": "12",
                  "rcpt_meta": {
                    "customKey": "customValue"
                  },
                  "rcpt_tags": [
                    "male",
                    "US"
                  ],
                  "rcpt_to": "[email protected]",
                  "raw_rcpt_to": "[email protected]",
                  "rcpt_type": "cc",
                  "routing_domain": "example.com",
                  "sending_ip": "127.0.0.1",
                  "subaccount_id": "101",
                  "subject": "Summer deals are here!",
                  "sms_coding": "ASCII",
                  "sms_dst": "7876712656",
                  "sms_dst_npi": "E164",
                  "sms_dst_ton": "International",
                  "sms_remoteids": [
                    "0000",
                    "0001",
                    "0002",
                    "0003",
                    "0004"
                  ],
                  "sms_segments": 5,
                  "sms_src": "1234",
                  "sms_src_npi": "E164",
                  "sms_src_ton": "Unknown",
                  "template_id": "templ-1234",
                  "template_version": "1",
                  "timestamp": "1454442600",
                  "transmission_id": "65832150921904138"
                }
              }
            },
            {
              "msys": {
                "track_event": {
                  "type": "open",
                  "campaign_id": "Example Campaign Name",
                  "customer_id": "1",
                  "delv_method": "esmtp",
                  "event_id": "92356927693813856",
                  "friendly_from": "[email protected]",
                  "ip_address": "127.0.0.1",
                  "ip_pool": "Example-Ip-Pool",
                  "message_id": "000443ee14578172be22",
                  "msg_from": "[email protected]",
                  "msg_size": "1337",
                  "num_retries": "2",
                  "queue_time": "12",
                  "rcpt_meta": {
                    "customKey": "customValue"
                  },
                  "rcpt_tags": [
                    "male",
                    "US"
                  ],
                  "rcpt_to": "[email protected]",
                  "raw_rcpt_to": "[email protected]",
                  "rcpt_type": "cc",
                  "routing_domain": "example.com",
                  "sending_ip": "127.0.0.1",
                  "subaccount_id": "101",
                  "subject": "Summer deals are here!",
                  "template_id": "templ-1234",
                  "template_version": "1",
                  "timestamp": "1454442600",
                  "transmission_id": "65832150921904138",
                  "user_agent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_3) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2272.118 Safari/537.36",
                  "geo_ip": {
                    "country": "US",
                    "region": "MD",
                    "city": "Columbia",
                    "latitude": 39.1749,
                    "longitude": -76.8375
                  }
                }
              }
            }
          ]

SO I created an xbasic page on my site with the following xbasic:

Code:
          dim campaign_id as c = if(variable_exists("request.variables.campaign_id"),request.variables.campaign_id,"Events not found")

dim cn as sql::Connection
          	dim result as l = .f.
          	dim args as sql::arguments
          		result = cn.open("::Name::Connection1")
          			if result then
          		args.Set("pub",campaign_id)
          			sqlstm = "INSERT INTO alphanwcopro.spost set post = :pub"
          		cn.execute(sqlstm,args)

end if
          cn.close()

It of course does an insert into the post field that says: "Events not found"

Looking at what they are sending I thought that campaign_id would have been a variable. What would I put as the variable name if I wanted to capture just that? Am I understanding that right right?
          In sparkpost the Events I am trying to capture are Delivery and Open
          How do I determine what the "variables are?

Anyways, some success.

Comment

This... from Sparkpost Webhook doc...

EVERY event created by SparkPost has a "type" property which refers to the Event Type JSON Key.
            This means the data sent to the Webhook is JSON... and probably in the Request.Body. I always forget this stuff until I start working with it again. I've Implemented dozens of Webhooks... and somehow they're always a bit different.

In this case the data sent will not be available in Request.Variables.

Assign Request.Body to your pub argument and see what gets written to your table.

Make sure that post field is a big one. It's probably going to be a long string. Looks like there are 2 records... 1 for message_event and 1 for track_event.

Once you have the string you can get back into your Webhook code, paste that string into XBasic and assign it to a character variable in XBasic. Then convert it to an XBasic property variable (a dot variable) and then parse through it's contents.
            Last edited by Davidk; 12-09-2017, 04:28 AM.

Comment

I was just reading request.body in another thread - saw your comments relating to mandrill and an HTTP post. Yes of course, I made the field a 5000 varchar lol just in case.
              Last edited by CharlesParker; 12-08-2017, 11:20 PM. Reason: edited "response.body" to read "request.body"

Comment

Right... I knew I'd worked through it with Mandrill... over 3 years ago... yikes.

Grabbing the Request.Body should give you the information needed to get at the data Sparkpost is sending.
                Last edited by Davidk; 12-08-2017, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Yep, that did it.
                  So the code on the xbasic ONLY page is currently:
                  Code:
                  <%a5

dim events as c = Request.Body

dim cn as sql::Connection
                  	dim result as l = .f.
                  	dim args as sql::arguments
                  		result = cn.open("::Name::Connection1")
                  			if result then
                  		args.Set("pub",events)
                  			sqlstm = "INSERT INTO alphanwcopro.spost set post = :pub"
                  		cn.execute(sqlstm,args)

end if
                  cn.close()
                  %>
                  That gets the whole thingy doodle in the field in the database...next I gotta figure out how to comsume this in a meaningful way. Maybe actually send an email and see what I get in there. The test data is EVERYTHING they could potentially send me. I don't want or need it, but perhaps it wouldn't hurt to get it anyway.

Comment

If it's all JSON, use json_parse to convert it to an XBasic dot variable... and take what you need from it.

Comment

great more to learn...lol.
                      Ok, so question - If I am understanding this correct, I use parse to get all of the json data into pointers (e.g. p.campaign_id) and then I can do an insert of all the data that I want right?

Comment

Correct

Comment

I have to say - I thought this part wold be easier with just
                          dim pp as p
                          dim camp as c
                          dim events as c = request.body
                          pp = json_parse(events)
                          camp = pp.campaign_id

then I would just make camp the :pub arg and do my insert.
                          I tried to use the returned JSON in the interactive code editor to fart around as well - I am just flailing around here, as I said I thought this would be the easier end of this since we are now dealing with what is essentially a text string.

Comment

nope.
                            you are not reading your post well.
                            the sparkpost event trace sends you json, you need to parse it and see the local identity
                            Code:
                            <%a5
                            dim message as c
                            message = request.body
                            dim pp as p
                            pp = json_parse(message)
                            dim campaign as c
                            campaign = pp[1].msys.message_event.campaign_id
                            ?campaign
                            %>
                            as far as i know, you don't need to send response.status.code=200, your server will do it for you.
                            you put this code in the a5w page and then run the test in sparkpost and see what the response it shows, down below the execution.
                            it should come back as
                            you server responded with
                            ''

''
                            Example Campaign Name
                            thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                            mysql backend
                            http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                            [email protected]
                            1 914 924 5171

Comment

campaign = pp[1].msys.message_event.campaign_id
                              I think this was the missing mental link for me. I will work on this in a bit - thanks for the insight into what I was looking for, I looked at so many different examples and yet none of them appeared to me to tell me the heirarchy to use from the parsed json. Your probably right on the 200 response - that was actually left in from some of my first attempts that were failing and I was trying to understand why - thought it needed it at first and just left it there, sloppy but in the end I hope I can post what works and help out the next guy as he works through this and maybe even another service like stripe or something. Again, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X