Alpha Video Training

Thread: SFTP

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Default SFTP

I am in need of an automated SFTP procedure. Alpha provides FTP utilities, but as far as I know, not SFTP.

I have been using FTP Voyager which works quite well for SFTP. I have been using the GUI, but I would like to use the command line options to fully automate the process. I can't get it to work despite trying for weeks. The process completes and I get a msg that the process succeeded, but the file is not on the server - or maybe it is, but it's not where I (think I) put it.

I have also used Filezilla, but there are very few command line options, and none that would allow you to upload or download files.

I have come across Winscp which my reading tells me should work as well, but looks like a new learning curve.

Has anyone had success in automatic SFTP upload and download with ANY product?
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Default Re: SFTP

Hey there,

I tried for a while on this and decided to just do it manually using FileZilla. I think what you would have to do, which I haven't wanted to do, is create your own script that could run on your local dev machine which would check for updates to files, then run it's own code to publish the files. Someone may have actually done this in a way that could be run by the alpha dev server using xbasic, but I haven't found it. Does seem like a bit of hole in the process doesn't it?

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Yes.
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

"Certified" Alphaholic NoeticCC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Andrea Gill

I have used SFTP using cURL and winSCP to download and move PDFs and CSV files nightly for some months now, with the script running in a runtime instance every night. It's a roundabout way and may be possible to do without running it via .bat and .txt command file although it has been useful to have the trace of which files were downloaded on what date. I should imagine the basic principle might work too from browser-based applications, or if it is something that can be run automatically every night then move that into a runtime app that runs on the server.

cURL -listonly with output to a text file, then iterate through each file found to first download then (re)move the file. I have not been able to get this to work without passing in the certificate code, so will have to set something up to grab the new certificate details as and when they change.

DIM FTPAddress as C
    FTPAddress = "ftps://{username}:{password}@{ftpsaddress}/"

run("curl -k -listonly " + FTPAddress + " --output " + FTPLocalRoot + cFolderName + "" + curListFileName)

I write a batch file that runs a text file with commands starting with the below.

FTPCommandDownload = evaluate_string(<<%txt%
    open -certificate="{CertificateNo}" {FTPAddress}
    option batch on
    option confirm off
    %txt%)

then for each file

FTPCommandDownload = FTPCommandDownload + evaluate_string(<<%txt%
    get "{fileNameDL}" "{FTPLocalRoot}{cFolderName}\%txt% + fileNameDL + """") + crlf()

then at the end

FTPCommandDownload = FTPCommandDownload + "exit"

Save the .bat file under a unique name and save a text file with the code.

File.from_string(FTPLocalRoot + "Scripts\DLBatch_" + cFolderName + "_" + vc_Today + ".txt",FTPCommandDownload)
    File.from_string(FTPLocalRoot + "Scripts\DLRun_" + cFolderName + "_" + vc_Today + ".bat",""C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\WinSCP.com" /ini=nul /script=" + FTPLocalRoot + "Scripts\DLBatch_" + cFolderName + "_" + vc_Today + ".txt")

Then run the batch files which calls the text file with the commands.

run(FTPLocalRoot + "Scripts\DLRun_" + cFolderName + "_" + vc_Today + ".bat")

If files need moving/removing too then rm or mv commands can also be used in the same file. Haven't done uploads yet but would imagine the WinSCP commnds should work just fine for that too.
    Last edited by NoeticCC; 12-13-2017 at 03:43 AM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by drgarytraub View Post
    I am in need of an automated SFTP procedure. Alpha provides FTP utilities, but as far as I know, not SFTP.

I have been using FTP Voyager which works quite well for SFTP. I have been using the GUI, but I would like to use the command line options to fully automate the process. I can't get it to work despite trying for weeks. The process completes and I get a msg that the process succeeded, but the file is not on the server - or maybe it is, but it's not where I (think I) put it.

I have also used Filezilla, but there are very few command line options, and none that would allow you to upload or download files.

I have come across Winscp which my reading tells me should work as well, but looks like a new learning curve.

Has anyone had success in automatic SFTP upload and download with ANY product?

Gary check this https://www.rssbus.com/apps/ports/sftp the have more but i can see see u need the client or server

out of the box hippa trusted https://www.rssbus.com/mft/
    run under iis or standalone
    Last edited by bea2701; 12-13-2017 at 05:51 AM. Reason: edit

VAR
    Real Name
    Mike Reed

The one we use is from sysax. Here is the link: https://www.sysax.com/index.htm

The standard license is adequate for simple SFTP transfers and works well.

Mike
    Mike Reed
    Phoenix, AZ