Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

SFTP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SFTP

I am in need of an automated SFTP procedure. Alpha provides FTP utilities, but as far as I know, not SFTP.

I have been using FTP Voyager which works quite well for SFTP. I have been using the GUI, but I would like to use the command line options to fully automate the process. I can't get it to work despite trying for weeks. The process completes and I get a msg that the process succeeded, but the file is not on the server - or maybe it is, but it's not where I (think I) put it.

I have also used Filezilla, but there are very few command line options, and none that would allow you to upload or download files.

I have come across Winscp which my reading tells me should work as well, but looks like a new learning curve.

Has anyone had success in automatic SFTP upload and download with ANY product?
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Re: SFTP

Hey there,

I tried for a while on this and decided to just do it manually using FileZilla. I think what you would have to do, which I haven't wanted to do, is create your own script that could run on your local dev machine which would check for updates to files, then run it's own code to publish the files. Someone may have actually done this in a way that could be run by the alpha dev server using xbasic, but I haven't found it. Does seem like a bit of hole in the process doesn't it?

Comment

Yes.
      Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

I have used SFTP using cURL and winSCP to download and move PDFs and CSV files nightly for some months now, with the script running in a runtime instance every night. It's a roundabout way and may be possible to do without running it via .bat and .txt command file although it has been useful to have the trace of which files were downloaded on what date. I should imagine the basic principle might work too from browser-based applications, or if it is something that can be run automatically every night then move that into a runtime app that runs on the server.

cURL -listonly with output to a text file, then iterate through each file found to first download then (re)move the file. I have not been able to get this to work without passing in the certificate code, so will have to set something up to grab the new certificate details as and when they change.

DIM FTPAddress as C
        FTPAddress = "ftps://{username}:{password}@{ftpsaddress}/"

run("curl -k -listonly " + FTPAddress + " --output " + FTPLocalRoot + cFolderName + "" + curListFileName)

I write a batch file that runs a text file with commands starting with the below.

FTPCommandDownload = evaluate_string(<<%txt%
        open -certificate="{CertificateNo}" {FTPAddress}
        option batch on
        option confirm off
        %txt%)

then for each file

FTPCommandDownload = FTPCommandDownload + evaluate_string(<<%txt%
        get "{fileNameDL}" "{FTPLocalRoot}{cFolderName}\%txt% + fileNameDL + """") + crlf()

then at the end

FTPCommandDownload = FTPCommandDownload + "exit"

Save the .bat file under a unique name and save a text file with the code.

File.from_string(FTPLocalRoot + "Scripts\DLBatch_" + cFolderName + "_" + vc_Today + ".txt",FTPCommandDownload)
        File.from_string(FTPLocalRoot + "Scripts\DLRun_" + cFolderName + "_" + vc_Today + ".bat",""C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\WinSCP.com" /ini=nul /script=" + FTPLocalRoot + "Scripts\DLBatch_" + cFolderName + "_" + vc_Today + ".txt")

Then run the batch files which calls the text file with the commands.

run(FTPLocalRoot + "Scripts\DLRun_" + cFolderName + "_" + vc_Today + ".bat")

If files need moving/removing too then rm or mv commands can also be used in the same file. Haven't done uploads yet but would imagine the WinSCP commnds should work just fine for that too.
        Last edited by NoeticCC; 12-13-2017, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drgarytraub View Post
          I am in need of an automated SFTP procedure. Alpha provides FTP utilities, but as far as I know, not SFTP.

I have been using FTP Voyager which works quite well for SFTP. I have been using the GUI, but I would like to use the command line options to fully automate the process. I can't get it to work despite trying for weeks. The process completes and I get a msg that the process succeeded, but the file is not on the server - or maybe it is, but it's not where I (think I) put it.

I have also used Filezilla, but there are very few command line options, and none that would allow you to upload or download files.

I have come across Winscp which my reading tells me should work as well, but looks like a new learning curve.

Has anyone had success in automatic SFTP upload and download with ANY product?

Gary check this https://www.rssbus.com/apps/ports/sftp the have more but i can see see u need the client or server

out of the box hippa trusted https://www.rssbus.com/mft/
          run under iis or standalone
          Last edited by bea2701; 12-13-2017, 06:51 AM. Reason: edit

Comment

The one we use is from sysax. Here is the link: https://www.sysax.com/index.htm

The standard license is adequate for simple SFTP transfers and works well.

Mike
            Mike Reed
            Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Alpha now has functions and methods to do SFTP!

Very exciting - however, in using the command:

sftp.ReceiveFile(filename,destination)

I am able to download all files from the ftp server, but some of them are empty. They are all txt files.

Has anyone who has successfully used these Alpha sftp functions, offer some guidance?
              Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Alpha's SFTP functions

I am trying to use Alpha's SFTP functions.

I have gotten as far as getting the List of files on the ftp server:

dim sftp as inet::sftp
                sftp.ServerHost = "ftp.servername.com"
                sftp.SecurityMethod = inet::SSHSecurityMethod::Password
                sftp.UserName = tusernameer.
                sftp.Password = tpassword
                sftp.ServerPort = 22

dim Listing as C
                sftp.ListDirectory(Listing,"/outbound")+"<br>"

?Listing

and that works fine.

The Listing is one long line so I do the following to parse the string in to separate file names, and use sftp.ReceiveFile to
                download each file. Each file does download, but some are empty with no content - they are all txt files.

dim i as n = 0
                dim tn as n = 0
                dim extracted_str as c
                dim filename as c
                dim destination as c
                for i=1 to 2000
                extracted_str=extract_string(Listing,"-rw-rw-rw-",".txt",i,.t.)
                if extracted_str=""
                tn=i-1
                i=2000
                else
                filename=word(extracted_str,10)+".txt"
                destination="c:\aaa"+chr(92)+filename
                filename="/outbound"+chr(92)+filename
                ?filename+"<br>"
                ?destination+"<br>"
                ?sftp.ReceiveFile(filename,destination)+"<br><br>"
                end if
                next

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong here?
                Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

I'm having the same trouble. I want to automate some sftp routines, but I can't get Alpha's SFTP function to work. Did anyone ever get it working in their app? Gary?

Comment

Working...
                  X