Alpha Video Training

Thread: Same PhoneGap app two different UX components (Version Management)

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Default Same PhoneGap app two different UX components (Version Management)

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if this is possible. I have a PhoneGap app (Apple Store and Google Play) that is widely used by thousands of end-users. It is a critical app and there can be no downtime. Moreover, I have no control in forcing them to upgrade.

I would like to make a major upgrade to the app and then release a new version on the app store. The changes to the UX that is the basis for the PhoneGap app will be so significant that it will break the existing installed app.

My question: is it possible to use different UX components for the same PhoneGap build project? I would like to use a new UX for version 2 but upload it to the existing PhoneGap project (and ultimiately as Version 2 on the app stores). That way the existing iOS and Android App would communicate with UX version 1 and the upgraded iOS and Android app would communicate with UX version 2?

Thanks!

Scott

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: Same PhoneGap app two different UX components (Version Management)

I think that makes sense.

Your existing, compiled, installed, app is calling UX1 on the server.
    Your new app will be calling UX2 on the server.

There is no forced update process going on... so original users would never see any changes.

If your back-end tables do not change so that they don't break Version 1... AND... you do not change Alpha Versions/Builds... then things should be ok.

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Hey David,

Thanks for confirming that. I will proceed along those lines and let the group know if I hit any snags. It makes sense it should work though, otherwise any major updates would be impossible because without forced updates the original app users would end up with broken apps each time a major new version was introduced.

Cheers,

Scott

Real Name
    jay oken

Scott,

When we do a major pgb update we do the following:

1. Make a copy of the UXcomponent, give it a new name and make our changes (and use this new component in our existing pgb project).

2. In the prior versions UX component, we add a line of code in all of our Xbasic functions (both general and Server-side functions) that immediately pops up a message telling them to update to the latest version and then stops processing. This updated prior version UX then gets published (to the app servers) after the new version is released in both app stores.

3. As an added measure of control (but totally optional), we use a different subdomain reference in pgb for this new version (submission to pgb). That way we can choose to shut off the prior version if we want. As an example, while our domain is www.myschoolanywhere.com, we use https://pgb1.myschoolanywhere.com for v1 of the app, http://pgb2.myschoolanywhere.com for v2. It requires that you manage your DNS server entries correctly though.

Hope this helps.
    Jay

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Thanks Jay! Very helpful tips.