Alpha Video Training

Thread: Android App - Google Maps Launch

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Default Android App - Google Maps Launch

Hey Everyone,

Been working this one for a while and no solution - thought I would see if anyone has solved the problem.

I have an Android app that has a simple map super control. The user clicks the button and Alpha populates the google URL with the address.

In my web based version when used on a smart phone, when the user clicks the button it launches the address look up in the Google Maps app (which is very convenient). However, in my Android app the exact same super control launches the address look up in a browser on google.com/maps. The web based version of google maps has much less functionality.

So the question is how to use a map super control on an Android app to trigger the lookup in the Google Maps app and not the web version of Google maps??

Thanks,

Scott

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Default Re: Android App - Google Maps Launch

I think you would have to determine that it's on mobile, then supply a different function. The new function would have to use a google phonegap plugin to open the resource. I haven't tried this...just a thought.

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Update -

So I think I have figured out the problem and solution but I will continue to test. The problem is that when you click the link the map is opened in the Cordova in app browser. If you try and use one of the enhanced map features like directions that would normally launch the Google Maps app, this action causes an error because you are not in a normal webrowser but the Cordova in app browser.

So, the solution seems to be to have this setting in the target setting properties for the link (Browser Window Name). Instead of the default _blank,_parent etc. enter _system. This triggers the launch of the extrnal browser and from there things are normal.

This might come in handy for other users, since the in app browser would likely have other limitations when trying to use other external apps.

If this solution doesn't carry through to the final app release I will let the group know.

Cheers,

Scott

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

Interesting. Thanks for the update. I'm sure it will come in handy down the road for someone else.