Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Auto fill third party web form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto fill third party web form

Hi and Happy Holidays to everyone!

I have a application where products need to be registered with the manufacturer for warranty purposes. The manufacturer provides an online form to complete registration. They will not provide any API or link that we can customize to make entering these records faster. Right now it takes several minutes for each entry and we can have hundreds of entries per week.

I am looking for some tool that I can use to get my information from our system into their system using some sort of Auto Fill Tool. Has anyone used anything to do this? A quick web search turned up some tools that might work, RoboForm or DashLane?

Thanks

Darren

Re: Auto fill third party web form

Maybe create your own tool using Xbasic with the help of the CURL genie?

Comment

Jeff... that sounds like an interesting process. What would that involve? What would the communication between XBasic, cURL, and the manufacturer website look like?

Comment

The documentation here is a pretty good starting point:
        https://www.alphasoftware.com/docume...rl%20Genie.xml

I use the method to get a lot of information from Google.

I imagine just studying the manufacturer's web form in order to create the field/value list (and a few other configuration options).
        Use it for the curl configuration and run the curl .Exec() method. Maybe study the result headers and contents after submitting the form and handle that information with .GetHeaders() and .GetContent() to make sure you get the response/confirmation of success that you are hoping for.
        Of course, it sounds like that manufacturer could change the form and response at any moment but if they are unwilling to provide an official API, I guess there isn't much of a choice. You would be victim of that also with any 3rd-party auto-fill tool also every time the manufacturer made a change.

Comment

Found this on stack overflow FWIW: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-party-textbox
          Mike Brown - Contact Me
          Programmatic Technologies, LLC
          Programmatic-Technologies.com
          Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

I actually didn't understand that the requirement was to do an auto-fill of the web form (even if it was the title) from another web page but in reality an auto-submit with the values automatically filled in.
            This is done all the time by bots with tools such as wget.

Comment

Jeff... now I understand your replies.

Overall, if anyone finds a website that will let them inject data into that site's fields, via code, then post it here... so that we can all stay away from it... and the site that's trying to do it.

This is what security functionality is trying to shut down. You should not be able to do this.

Comment

Thanks everyone - I am going to plan B - mirror the fields on the manu site on a UX then the operator can use cut and paste on a two screen set up. Best I can recommend at this point.

Comment

We don't have an automated process to do this, but we do save some time when we use the USPS click and ship web site by creating a javascript string that we copy to the Windows clipboard from Alpha. We then paste this string into the console in Firebug (or in Chrome, it is the Developers Tools) and run the Javascript.
                  I am not sure if something like this would help, because we manually open the web page, find the record in Alpha, copy and paste the appropriate text, and then run the javascript. But it does save us a bit of time.
                  We use getElementById innerHTML for each field.
                  Hope that helps.

Jay
                  Jay Talbott
                  Lexington, KY

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
                    Jeff... now I understand your replies.

Overall, if anyone finds a website that will let them inject data into that site's fields, via code, then post it here... so that we can all stay away from it... and the site that's trying to do it.

This is what security functionality is trying to shut down. You should not be able to do this.
                    As Mike stated it is a question of design so for example you can fill this form using query strings if you need. Form is Form and it is then servers job to secure data.

Comment

When I clicked on the link above, it showed David's name but my business name and my email address.
                      Did David just take over my firm? Does that mean I don't have to go to work today?

In the link above, the link address is:

https://server.alphasoftware.com/con...lastname=Kates

but apparently Chrome remembered my other info. Make sure that "automatic" form filling is done correctly.

(btw, David, now that you have taken over my company, please remember to remit payroll for this week.)

Jay
                      Last edited by Jay Talbott; 12-19-2017, 10:02 AM.
                      Jay Talbott
                      Lexington, KY

Comment

Working...
                      X