Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Printing barcodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing barcodes

I have an Alpha 5 db that i have used for years that have records to print labels on products that are for sale. I can't figure out why it is so difficult to print readable barcodes in Alpha 5 to be scanned in Quickbooks POS.
    Alpha 5 printed labels, the POS will read them and show in the search window, but will not pull up the Sales Ticket. If I print labels in QBPOS, the POS will read them in the search window and pull up the Sales Ticket like it should. I would like to print the labels from A5 if possible.
    what do i need to buy to be able to read barcodes from my A5 db?
    I have downloaded the trial version of Bar Tender Pro and I think I need a ODBC driver to connect,
    Years ago I worked with a guy and he used Bar Tender and I think he used a Fox Pro driver? does that make sense? that might not even be the right name.

Do I need to buy a special font? or buy a program that will connect to Alpha 5

any suggestions?

Thanks!
    David
    A5V12.3
    Win7, 64 bit
    Qbks 2018 Enterprise
    QODBC R/W

Re: Printing barcodes

It is actually VERY easy.
    Create a report - add a calculated field
    the expression is like this:
    printQRCode(serial_number,225)

My field is called "serial_number"

If nothing else, this will help you get going!
    heres a link to the documentation about it:
    https://www.alphasoftware.com/docume...20Function.xml

Then once you have the report built you can call it via a button click to print all or filtered on the serial to just print out the one you need.
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Alpha 5 printed labels, the POS will read them and show in the search window, but will not pull up the Sales Ticket. If I print labels in QBPOS, the POS will read them in the search window and pull up the Sales Ticket like it should.
      That sounds to me like the QBPOS barcodes have a crlf() (or the QBPOS equivalent) embedded at the end of the barcode to say the entry has been done, move on and do the lookup. That addition to the barcode is probably done automatically by the program.

Also found: http://www.idautomation.com/font-encoders/quickbooks/

Program the scanner to either include or append start and stop characters in the data returned from the barcode for lookup, since this is now part of the invoice number. The barcode scanner may be programmed to include a return function after the barcode is scanned which will usually invoke the Find or Search buttons.
      Last edited by Stan Mathews; 01-05-2018, 09:25 AM.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks Charles, I have the barcodes setup on an address label, I can't get Quickbooks Point of Sale to consistently read the labels. If I have one that it will read, when I scan the barcode in POS, it reads/displays the number in the search box but does not add it to the ticket inn the POS.
        Thank you Stan, what you say makes sense. I found a label that was printed in Bar Tender barcode program years ago that QB POS reads and puts on the ticket like it should. So does Bar Tender have a "crlf()" built into its program also?
        here is a pic of 3 labels
        the 2 barcodes on the left is an old label printed w/Bar Tender connected to this Alpha 5 db. the font is barcode is 2 of 5
        the one on the Right is printed with Alpha 5. the font is Barcode 39
        barcode compare.jpg

so if I buy a barcode font 2 of 5 what are the changes of it working using Alpha 5 ?
        If I buy the Bar Tender program, it has that font. the problem is I havent' figured out how to get it to connect to Alpha5.
        David
        A5V12.3
        Win7, 64 bit
        Qbks 2018 Enterprise
        QODBC R/W

Comment

Since you are currently able to print readable barcodes I would suggest you add the crlf() to the current value to be barcoded, as a test.
          There can be only one.

Comment

I tried that and it would not read it.
            calc_code = "*"+trim(barcode)+"*"+crlf()
            and then I tried it without the crlf() and now I can't get it to read the barcode at all.
            I am going to put this on hold and move to another problem.
            thanks!
            David
            A5V12.3
            Win7, 64 bit
            Qbks 2018 Enterprise
            QODBC R/W

Comment

What I had in mind was

calc_code = "*"+trim(barcode)+crlf()+"*"

The "*" are the start and stop symbols of what is encoded between.
              There can be only one.

Comment

We produce a 2 of 5 code in Alpha for our ID badges. We did need to download the idautomation code for it to work properly. Once we set it to the proper size, all was good.

badgeno1 = "*"+alltrim(str(employee->Badge_No))+"X*"
                CLOCKBADGE = i2of5("00000"+ALLTRIM(STR(employee->Badge_No))+"3232000")

Hope this helps...

Tom

Comment

I tried the calc_code = "*"+trim(barcode)+crlf()+"*" and still doesn't read.

the Bar Tender program says:
                  Currently, BarTender supports these types of database connections:
                  • Text File
                  • Microsoft Access
                  • Microsoft Excel
                  • Microsoft SQL Server
                  • Oracle
                  • MySQL
                  • SAP IDoc
                  • IBM DB2
                  • IBM Informix
                  • PostgreSQL
                  • Firebird
                  • OLE DB
                  • ODBC

I would assume the ODBC?
                  does anyone know of a link?

for some reason my message didn't post right,
                  Last edited by David; 01-10-2018, 03:07 PM.
                  David
                  A5V12.3
                  Win7, 64 bit
                  Qbks 2018 Enterprise
                  QODBC R/W

Comment

I may go the idautomation route but wanted to see if I could get the Bar Tender to work.
                    David
                    A5V12.3
                    Win7, 64 bit
                    Qbks 2018 Enterprise
                    QODBC R/W

Comment

this is an old message but I still need a solution to printing a readable barcode from any Point of sale program.
                      I have contacted idautomation, downloaded their trial font but could not get it to work to experiment with, the font didn't look right,
                      here is the response they gave me
                      Currently, the only solution that we have for producing barcodes in Quickbooks is the Code 39 (which is a self checking font). It requires an asterisk at the beginning and end of the data. If you need to generate UPC barcodes (which require a font font encoder to format the data) directly from Quickbooks, then we do not have a solution. If your goal is just to print barcodes internally and the barcode type does not matter, then Code 39 will be the appropriate choice.
                      I have responded to this, I don't want to print in Quickbooks, I want to print UPC's directly in Alpha 5, Is that feasible?
                      David
                      A5V12.3
                      Win7, 64 bit
                      Qbks 2018 Enterprise
                      QODBC R/W

Comment

Working...
                      X