Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How/where to publish mobile part of app to IIS server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How/where to publish mobile part of app to IIS server?

Hello! We have developed a web-based backend in Alpha and successfully uploaded it to our server that runs the App Server for IIS. We created a profile to publish directly to IIS and all works fine. Now, we have completed the mobile part of the system in Alpha/PGB but I can't seem to find any documentation on how and where to publish it to our server and what the PGB "URL for Ajax Callbacks" setting should be.

Do we just use FTP or HTTP to put it anywhere we want on the server? Or does it need to be in a specific place, like under c:\inetpub? And then, how do we determine the correct callback URL to use? Finally, does the IIS App Server use a specific port that we need to reference in the URL? On my development machine, the URL for callbacks is "http://mymachinename:1580". I was able to find out what port the development server uses via the Alpha control panel. Not sure how to determine that in IIS or if I need to.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer!

Re: How/where to publish mobile part of app to IIS server?

There is not really any special difference as far as IIS is concerned between a pure web app. and a PhoneGap app.
    A PhoneGap app. is going to talk to IIS via HTTP also.
    Depending on your case (ie. use of PhoneGap plugins or not), you may not even need 2 separate "IIS apps" on IIS.

Test out just to understand.
    Let's say your web app. was published to IIS and you access using:
    http://www.example.com/myApp/
    When you build your PhoneGap app., just put http://www.example.com/myApp/ as your URL For All Ajax Callbacks (oh, and of course don't forget to have published your UX (your .a5wcmp file) while publishing your app to IIS.
    That will be your Initial UX Component.

Comment

Jeff, thanks for your reply. I currently publish my web app to IIS and access it using http://www.mydomain.com. In a separate project, I have the mobile app, which is a single UX control that includes a few PhoneGap plugins. I can publish it to my dev machine and upload it to PG Build, using the dev machine URL for the callbacks. Are you saying I should just merge/copy the mobile UX into the web app, publish the whole thing to IIS and change the callback URL for PhoneGap to http://www.mydomain.com as well? If so, does that make the size of the app installed on the mobile devices larger because of all the web app stuff in it? Never having done this before, I'm not sure how it all fits together...

Comment

The built PhoneGapBuild application is built only with the Initial UX Component you give it.

The PGB app makes an Ajax Callback to that specific, Published, UX Component in your IIS Server.

The PGB UX Component talks to the published IIS UX Component. Whatever the IIS UX Component does server-side, is then sent back to the UX Component on your device. It's 2 way communication.

I wouldn't keep that mobile UX component in a separate project... too difficult to work with regarding publishing... because you're now publishing to IIS from 2 different projects... and that's probably asking for trouble.

Just shove it into your main project. You can copy over the PhoneGapProjects files.

Comment

Thanks, David. I'll give that a try...

Comment

Jeff and David, I finally got the mobile part of the app finished and merged it with my "web-side" components as you instructed. After publishing it all to IIS, it worked perfectly! I really didn't understand how PGB works in conjunction with the published files on my server until you explained it. Thanks again for clarifying that and for all of your help. I am grateful and may actually be able to get some sleep again!

Comment

Working...
            X