Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Styling Alpha using Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Styling Alpha using Alpha

Richard

Yes and Kudos to Alpha standard Html and CSS works so you can search the web and adapt the code.

Comment

Charles, I agree 100%.

We are trying to do exactly what you suggest, so our form templates would have common themes and "blocks" so you could build, rather than deconstruct, what suits you.

The question boils down to
      to take the styles a bit further
      which styles?
      What things do people need adding or tidying?

Comment

Does anyone know how to create a hyperlink within the button without the look of hyperlink styling, and also so it still works as a button? Haven't been able to override the blue/underline style with inline style option, and don't want to change local css. Also it stopped working as a button, meaning you need to click the text itself to make it link. I would like to push anywhere within the button to make it work.

hyperlink example.PNG
        Last edited by asap rich; 03-06-2018, 10:23 PM. Reason: edit to add pic

Comment

You could try something like this.

buttonLink.a5wcmp

Comment

Why wouldn't you just create your normal button... and then call window.open() in the click event?

I wouldn't want to have to create 2 controls per one button... seems a bit much.

Why do you need to create a hyperlink within a button?

Comment

Thanks again Michael, I think that'll work!

David I'm trying to make a button that will skip down to a certain area of the page. I have a long form, and just want the menu to go to the beginning of a container with specific info to fill out or edit. Would window.open() be able to control where it would scroll to? The html method works atm.

Comment

Ok... thanks... now that we have some details... your button click event code would be...

Code:
                location.href = "#bottom";
                Where "#bottom" is the id of your anchor tag.

And... not that you need it... but removing the underline from a hyperlink is done by setting it's Style to text-decoraction:none;

Comment

That is an improvement over hyperlinks. Thanks!

Comment

Michael, I certainly know you do great work. But to me, I think what should be done is programmatic.

The way to make this more like other development environments is to allow applying any css file and having those classes show up when clicking the little "class" icon for a control. I know there are reasons they haven't gone down this road, but the gap between Alpha and other tools is closing in many ways and this is a stumbling block in my opinion.

Alpha controls should default to certain tags in a css file, just like basic html tags do (p, h1, etc.). For example, a PanelCard Header and Footer, should default to some class name that could be in any css file, such as class="PanelCardHeader". When an external front end developer hands over a design it's easy to integrate it because many items already match up. Those that don't you could then use the little button to pick the correct class.

I'm working with that scenario right now where a client already has a user interface design made up (graphics, css, navigation)....and it's a pain in the arse.

Having the additional stylesheets available is awesome, and Michael is the guy to do it. But I just think in the long run we need a better way to handle it.

If there is a way to do what I'm asking already, someone please let me know. Converting this stuff is NOT what I want to be doing.

Comment

Hi Sean

One of the major problems is CSS itself. There are some steps being taken to help but we are still a long way from having CSS that is up to date.
                      You could look at BEM to make your CSS more readable. It is currently not practical to scope CSS.
                      We are trying to use CSS Variables to play with style in the browser. Once we have something close we export (Manual process) the variables to Sass.
                      http://datadrivensystems.co.uk/demo/...m-dynamic2.a5w
                      Here is a look at forms using a number of Sub Themes. If you play with the pickers you can change the look of the forms, press Save and you can see the variables. Export gets them into a text file.

The moodboard is step 2
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_WB...ew?usp=sharing
                      Once you have played with the CSS Variables and set Sass you can see predefined Alpha components styled.

The final step is to build a UX
                      This is a little contrived but I guess you get the idea
                      http://smg.datadrivensystems.co.uk/l...ra/example.a5w
                      Change the size of the window to see the media query break points.

Comment

Hi there Michael,

I get what you are doing, and it's good. However, I just think Alpha needs to go more in the direction of other platforms as it relates to styling. Do you know why they haven't yet done that?

I will be taking a very close look at what you are doing in the next few weeks as I have a new mobile app which needs styling (for a new client, not one of my own).

Also, are you guys going to conference this year? It would be great to see you guys again and catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by WebDesignShop View Post
                          Hi there Michael,

I get what you are doing, and it's good. However, I just think Alpha needs to go more in the direction of other platforms as it relates to styling. Do you know why they haven't yet done that?
                          Retweet. I agree and I also echo your statement in a previous thread about this being Alpha's biggest stumbling block. RAD needs to be RAD in all aspects for a top notch tool. You can't promote RAD simply because you offer low code development if you haven't solved the styling issue.

I wish I had the time to devote to solve this myself, but I don't so that I was I use RAD tools in hopes of automating some of the easily repeatable stuff that is not business logic specific. That's where the tool should get me and then I pick up from there.

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

Just for clarification, I think Alpha is fine for promoting it as a RAD tool even with the styling issues. It still beats many of the other tools on the market for developing multi version apps (desktop, web, mobile). So, the styling thing is an issue YES, but is Alpha Anywhere a great RAD TOOL anyway....YES. The competition is growing but Alpha is still ahead of the pack....in my mind. Plus, I'm hoping Michael solves the issue soon. :)

Comment

I don't disagree that it is a RAD tool, I do however feel that in order to stand the test of time and hold up against competitors in this space the styling issue is going to have to be addressed. Overall I'm very happy with the product, enhancing the styling of finished products would for my purposes make it an extremely hard tool to replace. Can that be done now, certainly but with far too much effort and time.

As I've stated in the past, to be one of the "industry leaders" in this space there are improvements that can be made to the product that will propel it far beyond where it is today. Many of those have been made and Alpha is very aggressive with updating the product to stay relevant. The growth and enhancements in the product in the short time I've been using it have been extremely impressive and one of the primary reasons I have all the faith in the world that Alpha will solve the styling issue in an upcoming major release.

Comment

If you think about the design you want and make your templates with the inline CSS modifications required you can do it now.
                                Here are some examples - works great with Browser or Mobile.
                                2018-04-20_1127.png2018-04-20_1127_001.png2018-04-20_1128.png2018-04-20_1130.png
                                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                                Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                                US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Working...
                                X