Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Priority of skill development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Priority of skill development

Still wanting to know why you feel what Nils wrote is a joke.

Nils wrote a considered, factual opinion. Not sure why it would be thought of as a joke.

Comment

Kenneth,

I can understand you really like SQLite and that it works well for you, and that's great, but it doesn't change the facts about what SQLite was designed for.

It's best stated on the product website:

https://sqlite.org/whentouse.html

SQLite is not directly comparable to client/server SQL database engines such as MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, or SQL Server since SQLite is trying to solve a different problem.

Client/server SQL database engines strive to implement a shared repository of enterprise data. They emphasize scalability, concurrency, centralization, and control. SQLite strives to provide local data storage for individual applications and devices. SQLite emphasizes economy, efficiency, reliability, independence, and simplicity.

SQLite does not compete with client/server databases. SQLite competes with fopen().

RDMBS products like Oracle, SQL Server, DB2 etc. are designed to handle concurrent reads AND writes, and easily supports a very large number of concurrent write operations

Sqlite is not really built for this, as they also state temselves on the website, and the comparison to Access with regards to architechture is valid, it's the same approach that was used by DBase as well, and nearly all other file based database of the past.

I am fully aware that Sqlite can perform better than Access for multiple read only users in a web application, but that,s not the point, the architechure is basically the same.

I understand also that you feel that Sqlite is easier to setup and use, no complicated backups, no stored procedures, etc, and that's probably true, like it's true that's it's easier to drive a family car as opposed to an 18 wheeler truck, but both still have a purpose.

Rob asked how to build a usefull skillset for Alpha, not what is the easiest database I can use where I don't have to learn anything hard.

It really depends on what kind if work you do and what clients you have.

A fully featured RDBMS may be harder to learn, which is why most companies have full time or remote DBA's, but you as a developer can provision a fully loaded Windows server with Sql Server 2016 Express on Amazon AWS in about 10 minutes with NO knowledge of Sql server, and it's ready to use, and will cost you maybe 50 USD each month, and you can use that for as many applications as you want, or you can use Amazon RDS with MariaDb or similar.

If you have any questions on using Sql server or other database systems with Alpha, just start a new thread and ask, and I will do my best to answer there

Brgds
      Nils

Sql Server development and DBA services since 1995

Comment

Hi Nils,

If you did read my posts you can see that I in every post did tell that SQLite is not suitable for traditional client/server solution where clients has direct access to database. But it is very suitable for application server like Alpha or for Web Server as a backend database. It will beat any SQL client/server database in these solutions.

I hope you Nils undestand the difference. When SQLIte is as a backend server for Alpha or Web server it is not a client/server solution. "Database requests are serialized by the server, so concurrency is not an issue." Happy learning to you.
        Last edited by kkfin; 03-20-2018, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Rob indicated that he has not yet started using any SQL product, and I think Kenneth was just offering a valid and optional choice. It all comes down to choices and application requirements.
          From looking at the 'whentouse' link above, everything that Kenneth was saying is valid so I think it's just a matter of keeping an open mind and deciding how your application is going to be used.

I use MS SQL myself but I can see where SQLite could offer advantages if your application did not have a large number of concurrent users, did not have a large dataset, or if the content resides on the same physical machine as the application server.
          Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

I think Kenneth makes some very good points. I bet that a lot of Alpha developers would be well served with SQLite. I can see now that for many applications I built SQLite would have probably been a better choice overall. And 100,000 (or 1,000,000) hits per day vastly exceeds what most Alpha applications would even remotely approach (that's a wild guess off the top of my head - am I wrong? I seriously doubt it). My biggest application in terms of number of users is about 200 users per day. I suspect SQLite could handle it.

Rob says:
            Great info; thanks! I have a very small number of customers who use my system to schedule swimming lessons, so this may not apply. ...but still good to know.
            "very small number of customers who use my system" - Sounds like SQLite would be perfect for him.

As Kenneth said:
            Both MS SQL Server and MySQL and other siblings are without no doubt good choices.
            He didn't say MS SQL Server was no good. MySQL, SQL Server and Oracle (and really, MariaDB) are giants in the industry. People have their preferences as you can see in these posts. Rob (or anyone) won't go wrong if he uses SQL Server or MariaDB. But if it were me, and I only had a handful of users, I likely would try SQLite - even though all my projects are MySQL/MariaDB.
            Last edited by Peter.Greulich; 03-20-2018, 10:36 AM.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I certainly agree that Sqlite has it use in several applications, but the statement from Kenneth is just confusing and mainly incorrect.

"One interesting thing about SQL databases. SQL Server or MySQL and other traditional sql servers are actually client/server databases. So every SQL send to server makes a round-trip to server. There is then a lot of latency with each SQL command. These servers try to overcome this latency with stored procedure concept (single round-trip).

But SQLite does not have stored procedures. It does not need them. Every SQL statement is a stored procedure. No network traffic, not IPC so very little latency. So SQLite can handle traffic that would kill client/server database performance."

If you put a traditional RDBMS like sql server on your webserver, you will also have zero latency and no network traffic, and unless you have a large database, all data will soon reside in the memory cache, and then I doubt very much that there is any performance difference in read operations between the 2 products.
              You don't need to use stored procedures in a Sql Database, it's an option, just as you don't need to use views, it's also an option.
              You can get much better performance and easier development by using all the features of the database, but it's not needed.

In real life the latency between web servers and the database server is often very small, you normally put the servers in the same regional data center, and then you have internal server to server network connections with minimum 1, 10 Gbit or more.

Using Sqlite as a web server datacache is probably much better than using the file system, but it also prohibits the use of multiple webservers for redundancy and load balancing, a requirement for many corporate clients

Instead of discussing various database products, I would recommend that any Alpha developer learns the basic concepts of a Sql based database, tables, indexes, views, primary keys, foreign keys etc. They are all needed and useful in an Alpha application, regardless of which database is used, be that Sqlite, Sql server or Mysql etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                Hi Nils,

If you did read my posts you can see that I in every post did tell that SQLite is not suitable for traditional client/server solution where clients has direct access to database. But it is very suitable for application server like Alpha or for Web Server as a backend database. It will beat any SQL client/server database in these solutions.

I hope you Nils undestand the difference. When SQLIte is as a backend server for Alpha or Web server it is not a client/server solution. "Database requests are serialized by the server, so concurrency is not an issue." Happy learning to you.
                Kenneth,

I do understand the difference, I just think you are wrong in your comparisons and statements.

Especially here "Database requests are serialized by the server, so concurrency is not an issue"
                Concurrency is always an issue, also for Sqlite, just read the section on WAL,

https://sqlite.org/wal.html

And as you propably agree, Sqlite also gets quite complicated very fast if you need concurrency

Happy learning to you as well

Nils

Comment

Nils... there are only a couple of people posting in this thread who have actually used SQLite. I've only ever used it for mobile apps... and it was perfect... but I'd doubt I'd use it for anything else. None of the client work I've done over the last number of years ever called for SQLite. It was always SQL Sever, MySQL, and a bit of MariaDB.

If you choose one of the more traditional sql servers you'll get a lot more assistance in this forum if you have questions regarding the use of sql with Alpha.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
                    Nils... there are only a couple of people posting in this thread who have actually used SQLite. I've only ever used it for mobile apps... and it was perfect... but I'd doubt I'd use it for anything else. None of the client work I've done over the last number of years ever called for SQLite. It was always SQL Sever, MySQL, and a bit of MariaDB.

If you choose one of the more traditional sql servers you'll get a lot more assistance in this forum if you have questions regarding the use of sql with Alpha.
                    Hi David,

Yes, that's probably true, I would also only consider using it on a mobile device, and that's fairly easy

I don't really need support on neither SQL or Alpha, just wanted to clarify some of the issues on Sql and Alpha.

I have worked on a few projects during the last 4 years where we had different web applications and windows applications use our databases, and it was so much easier to code all the applications, including Alpha, when you could use the common views, stored procedures and functions between the applications.

Brgds
                    Nils

Comment

Originally posted by NBoje View Post
                      Kenneth,

I do understand the difference, I just think you are wrong in your comparisons and statements.

Especially here "Database requests are serialized by the server, so concurrency is not an issue"
                      Concurrency is always an issue, also for Sqlite, just read the section on WAL,

https://sqlite.org/wal.html

And as you propably agree, Sqlite also gets quite complicated very fast if you need concurrency

Happy learning to you as well

Nils
                      Hi Nils,

I can see that your learning process continues. I am for sure not wrong. The quotation "Database requests are serialized by the server, so concurrency is not an issue" is from SQLite web page so I do not think they lie. Concurrency is not a problem at all when SQLite is used as a backend database for application server or web server. Also if you think client/server model it is just a problem when different clients use same time directly SQLite database. Here clients does not mean customers but a software solution. Directly means that there in not an Application Server between clients and database. So it is a problem in multi tenant solution but not if you use separate databases for customers. This is case for example in desktop applications.

Facts are facts then there are opinions. The fact that not many Alpha users do not use SQLite does just mean that they do not know SQLite. SQLite is a new thing in Alpha AND it is also for him. What comes to his opinion I am sure that still about six years or something he thought that DBF is the best database in the world.
                      Last edited by Peter.Greulich; 03-20-2018, 06:27 PM. Reason: Person called out by name.

Comment

Originally posted by RobPolley View Post
                        I'm just beginning to learn SQL, but none of my projects use SQL yet.
                        Learning SQL really is about learning concepts like primary/foreign keys, table joins, views and such. Read some tutorials, then fiddle with data, preferably a duplicate set of tables from your swim lesson app.

One tool you already have is the Alpha SQL Genie in the Web Control Panel. Try loading the AppWebServer Demo and use the Northwind connection which links to standard mdb files on your PC, no installation of other software needed. Create select statements using single and multiple tables and Alpha will show the portable SQL syntax as well as an option to see native syntax for various DBMS. Tweak the results with column aliases, filters and ordering.

Anything more complex like insert-update-deletes you can create a simple grid or UX with the option to show the SQL being executed in a message box. For learning views/aggregates/triggers/stored procedures/grant-deny privileges/replication, etc. you'll have to go the DBMS installation route.

Learn SQL syntax first. It will help the most down the road if you move data out of dbf files or start a new project from scratch. SQL statements wrapped in xbasic will make more sense too.

Comment

Hi Kenneth

Of course, one should always be learning.

in this case I am afraid that you either simple do not understand what Sqlite is and more important what it isn't?

It's not a a database designed for concurrency, the statement on the Sqlite website merely states that if you use the database and have more concurrent writes than can be handled, you just hope for the best. If you doubt this then read the section on Write-Ahead Logging (WAL)

It's also not designed for business websites that requires redundancy and load balancing.

That doesn't mean it's a bad choice if it fulfil your needs, my point is just that different solutions have different needs, and I agree that a lot of smaller Alpha web solutions can probably use Sqlite as an application server datacache / database, but if you move on to designing larger business or Enterprise solutions, that may be business critical, you will need something else.

I think I will end the discussion here and get back to work :-)

Best regards
                          Nils

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                            The fact that not many Alpha users do not use SQLite does just mean that they do not know SQLite. SQLite is a new thing in Alpha...
                            Ken, my company's license expired a while back...before SQLite options. Out of curiosity in the Desktop version can you create an active link table to a SQLite datasource? It looks like Alpha compiled the driver source rather than use the public ODBC.

Comment

Things has not changed. In fact you can create an active link table but you can not update/delete/add. However with older (and current) version of Alpha you can use OBDC driver for SQLite but the same problems with linked tables exists. I currently use the ODBC driver to modify/view data in Alphas security tables in server with an desktop application (not alpha) I have build. Thanks to SQLite I can do it easily.

Edit: Sidenote: With older Alpha(and current) you can use Xdialog which has Chrome plugin available. This means that everything you see in web (frontend) you can bring to Alpha. This with SQLite opens hole new world in Desktop development. Here is little example I did when testing Chrome plugin in Xdialog.
                              Last edited by kkfin; 03-21-2018, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Little update to my post above. I am currently testing in Alpha desktop side a third party web server to handle data with Alphas XDialog and using Northwind SQLite as datasource. I did notice that actually this ODBC driver for SQLite (Werners) works without errors(grud) using also Alphas active link tables. My current Alpha version is 4.5.4.0.

Comment

Working...
                                X