Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Priority of skill development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Priority of skill development

Thanks!

Comment

A good example is Reports. I used to blow up Crystal Reports before I starting using views. Alpha makes it easy to use a view. So If I have a report that requires 15 tables to be linked I create a SQL view and then build the report in Alpha. Another reason to use MS SQL is that it is used at the corporate level and if you have those skills or create something for them then it is not an issue. Also, if you start with express it will migrate to the Enterprise version, if your software exponentially grows.

Comment

Thanks, Lee!

Comment

Both MS SQL Server and MySQL and other siblings are without no doubt good choices. But they are some how complicated. You need to install and configure. Sometimes installing MS SQL Server can break you. You also need to be expert to take advantage of their over helming features.

Currently for SQL database needs I use SQLite. It is a most popular database engine with zero configuration and has full-featured sql implementation(also json support). SQLite is not best in client/server situations where clients access directly databases but this is not the case when between is an application/web server like Alpha(IIS or WAS). So it is perfect for website, application database, IOS, Android and so on. Alpha security loves it. SQLite is easy to understand, backup and copy. Makes life easy for developer.

Beside color and width CSS can be very complicated so I basically do not use it unless I really need to do something simple. I leave CSS for frameworks. I use currently Boostrap4 so in practice CSS is a synonym for a class name in html tag. With HTML tags and javascript I spent most of development time.

Obviously you need xbasic for server side. Unfortunately not much has happened with xbasic in recent years. Basically wrapper function after wrapper function so forget speed. I am sure that there is some logic in xbasic how functions are named but yet I have not found it. I try to spent minimum time with xbasic.

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
            I'm with Lee (mostly). MS SQL Server is extremely powerful with it's triggers and stored procedures (another word for programmability(as it called in MS SQL Server)), AA is cushioning the need to learn a lot of this by generating the code for you, but its very light on. So you might as well learn it in the database, so pick a database you think will suit your abilities and the outcomes YOU require - In the last 15 years in what we develop the database does 90% of the heavy lifting, without understanding the programmability of as database like MS SQL Server - i'd be washing cars for a living.
            Pete, I think you have your brackets in the wrong place. You have: (another word for programmability(as it called in MS SQL Server))

I think the correct syntax is: ((another word for programmability)as it called in MS SQL Server)

As for the SQL stuff - it's all double dutch to me...

Comment

Brackets go like the (this is what I said (and this is to clarify what I said)).. I know what it means.
              Anyhow my usage is as Nils responded in#7.
              Good luck with it. Remember anything worthwhile is never easy.
              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
              Albert Einstein, (attributed)
              US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Thanks Peter! I guess I have to improve only these skills -- sql, xbasic, javascript, css, and html -- that should keep me busy!

Comment

One interesting thing about SQL databases. SQL Server or MySQL and other traditional sql servers are actually client/server databases. So every SQL send to server makes a round-trip to server. There is then a lot of latency with each SQL command. These servers try to overcome this latency with stored procedure concept (single round-trip).

But SQLite does not have stored procedures. It does not need them. Every SQL statement is a stored procedure. No network traffic, not IPC so very little latency. So SQLite can handle traffic that would kill client/server database performance.

Comment

Ken,

Great info; thanks! I have a very small number of customers who use my system to schedule swimming lessons, so this may not apply. ...but still good to know.

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

Here is an interesting fact about SQLite, consider this info from Sqllite.org/about

"SQLite is an embedded SQL database engine. Unlike most other SQL databases, SQLite does not have a separate server process. SQLite reads and writes directly to ordinary disk files. A complete SQL database with multiple tables, indices, triggers, and views, is contained in a single disk file."

Replace SQLite with Access, and you have an exact description of how Microsoft Access works. Access is a great database, and has many uses, but it's not really suited for webbased multiuser databases, just like SQLite is a single user embedded database that stores all data on the device.

It's a question of picking the right tool for the right job, and this thread is about Priority of Skill development, not is SQLite a better database than Sql Server or MySql.

I can certainly see uses for SQLite in a Phonegap app, for saving large datasets that needs to be modified on the device. But then you need to write your own sync routines to get the data out of the device, so unless this is a one user solution it would make the app much more complicated.

In order of priority for building Alpha skills, my guess is that most clients are corporate, and they nearly always have large Sql Server/MySql/Oracle etc. server databases, so learning a Server based Sql database before SQLite is probably a better option

Comment

Originally posted by NBoje View Post
                        Here is an interesting fact about SQLite, consider this info from Sqllite.org/about

"SQLite is an embedded SQL database engine. Unlike most other SQL databases, SQLite does not have a separate server process. SQLite reads and writes directly to ordinary disk files. A complete SQL database with multiple tables, indices, triggers, and views, is contained in a single disk file."

Replace SQLite with Access, and you have an exact description of how Microsoft Access works. Access is a great database, and has many uses, but it's not really suited for webbased multiuser databases, just like SQLite is a single user embedded database that stores all data on the device.

It's a question of picking the right tool for the right job, and this thread is about Priority of Skill development, not is SQLite a better database than Sql Server or MySql.

I can certainly see uses for SQLite in a Phonegap app, for saving large datasets that needs to be modified on the device. But then you need to write your own sync routines to get the data out of the device, so unless this is a one user solution it would make the app much more complicated.

In order of priority for building Alpha skills, my guess is that most clients are corporate, and they nearly always have large Sql Server/MySql/Oracle etc. server databases, so learning a Server based Sql database before SQLite is probably a better option
                        Is this joke? Check your facts about SQLite

Comment

Hi Kenneth

Why should it be a joke?

Which facts about Sqlite have I got wrong?

Comment

Agreed... how is this a joke?

Comment

Hey Rob,

I have found the Joes2Pros books, lessons and videos to be an absolutely wonderful resource for when I first started learning MS SQL.
                              There is just something about the way Rick Morelan is able to present the material that makes it really simple, interesting and fun. At least I find it to be so.
                              The videos used to be free but might be paid service now however, there are still some great free videos on youtube ... https://www.youtube.com/user/Joes2Pros/playlists ... including how to install SQL Server ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h8e...z0cHXdmJHTYVph
                              Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

SQLite is far from single user embedded database. That is just one aspect. Sure it is best at a traditional client/server database where clients has direct access to database. So it needs application server frontend for example Alpha then clients can not access directly database. Also as a website database it can handle 100000 hits/per day and still 10 times more (1000000) without loosing performance. It has full-featured SQL implementation. It has nothing common with Access database.

When you talk about learning skills with SQLite you have time to learn because zero configuration, zero stored procedures, easy backup. You can concentrate to SQL and you can then use these skills in every platform(Windows, Linux, Android...) in future. So for learning sure SQLite is better to start with.

So if you are building traditional client server solution(multi tenant) then do not use SQLite or if you need clusters for your SQL data servers.

And David, did you forget put my name to your list?

Comment

Working...
                                X