Alpha Video Training

Thread: Get Current Position of Android Device

Real Name
    Phil Samuels

Default Get Current Position of Android Device

I am working on a Tablet Application (uploaded with PhoneGap). On one Panel, I want to display the Longitude and Latitude of the tablet's current GPS Position (ultimately, I'll also put a Marker on a Map Control, but that'll be easy, once I get the longitude and latitude).

I put the following code in a Button's "On-Click" control, as a first step (and a test):

var lat = position.coords.latitude;
    var long = position.coords.longitude;
    alert('Found location: ' + lat + ', ' + long);
    {dialog.Object}.setValue('TEXTBOX1',lat);
    {dialog.Object}.setValue('TEXTBOX2',long);

Unfortunately, when I clicked the button, I didn't get the "Alert" message and the 2 textbox controls did NOT get populated.

I DID turn on Location Services on my Android Tablet. Also, I included the "Geolocation" plugin in my Phonegap upload. I'm thinking that I probably have to do something to retrieve the "position.coords" information, to make them available to Alpha.

I hope I'm just missing something obvious and this is an easy fix. I'd appreciate any assistance you can offer.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: Get Current Position of Android Device

Have a look at Alpha's UX Template for geolocation... it reads as if it's for iOS only... but I don't think so... it should work on Android.

Yes, client-side you do need to make a call to get geolocation. Also have a look at the plugin information... there you'll see this sample code...

Code:
        var onSuccess = function(position) {
            alert('Latitude: '          + position.coords.latitude          + '\n' +
                  'Longitude: '         + position.coords.longitude         + '\n' +
                  'Altitude: '          + position.coords.altitude          + '\n' +
                  'Accuracy: '          + position.coords.accuracy          + '\n' +
                  'Altitude Accuracy: ' + position.coords.altitudeAccuracy  + '\n' +
                  'Heading: '           + position.coords.heading           + '\n' +
                  'Speed: '             + position.coords.speed             + '\n' +
                  'Timestamp: '         + position.timestamp                + '\n');
        };

// onError Callback receives a PositionError object
        //
        function onError(error) {
            alert('code: '    + error.code    + '\n' +
                  'message: ' + error.message + '\n');
        }

navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition(onSuccess, onError);

Real Name
    Sean OKelly

There is action javascript available for geolocation (called Geolocation Functions) and it works well for us on windows/android/ios. The one catch we have seen is that you need to check "Get accurate position within a designated radius" so that it wil make multiple attempts to get location data. The first attemp comes back very poor usually. Now, our apps are in disconnected mode a lot so it relies mostly on GPS rather than GPS + WIFI and this is why we need it to make multiple attempts. If you are in an area with good cell coverage then maybe the first attempt is fine.

Real Name
    Phil Samuels

Hi David and Sean-

THANK YOU so much for all your help. Yes, ultimately, I was missing the "navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition" function, which I've read more about, after getting your notes. What I was trying to do, works great.

I kept the code very simple: I wanted the user to easily display the current location, on a map and I've expanded it to create a route from the Current Location to an address that they can enter. The code is placed in the onClick function of a Button.

Here's the code, I used, in case it will help someone else accomplish this task easily:
    I created two TextBox fields, called TextBox1 (hidden) and TextBox2 (visible: to enter the destination address). And, of course, there's a button to activate the script, below:

//This function runs if the Location Service is on and the GPS position can be determined
    var Success2 = function(setfields) {
    //Set the Longitude and Latitude field variables, based on the current location
    var lat = setfields.coords.latitude;
    var long = setfields.coords.longitude;
    //Then, I created a single field that holds both numbers, with a comma separator and put that into the hidden TextBox1.
    var myPosition = lat + ','+ long
    {dialog.Object}.setValue('TEXTBOX1',myPosition);
    }

//In the event of an error getting the coordinates, this will tell me the error that occurred.
    function onError2(error) {
    alert('code: ' + error.code + '\n' +
    'message: ' + error.message + '\n');
    }
    //This pulls the Navigation coordinates from the device and runs the function(s)
    navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition(Success2, onError2);

//Finally, the fun part: After the user enters an address into TextBox2 the system and clicks the Button, this runs:
    //Get the Values from both TextBoxes show the Route in a "text field' (that's designated as a DIV)
    var a1 = {dialog.Object}.getValue('textbox1');
    var a2 = {dialog.Object}.getValue('textbox2');

var m1 = {dialog.object}.getControl('ROUTE1');
    m1.plotRoute(a1,a2);

I'd still like to test it a little, but, so far, it has been perfect... and I couldn't have done it, without your help. I'm also going to try some of the options (accuracy, etc.) to see if it makes a difference.

I hope that code is helpful for someone else who wants to do something similar.

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.