Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha 5 V11 acting stupid; seemingly after Windows 10/Office 2016 Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha 5 V11 acting stupid; seemingly after Windows 10/Office 2016 Installation

I am going to post the most annoying behavior lately from Alpha 5 here and then post other stupid error messages in a separate post. So, here goes with the #1 Annoyance:

Because of the #2 Annoyance (described separately) in my application, I went into the operations tab to create a totally new import operation that I could access from a script. I also follow this one up with an append operation. Basically, in the times past, Excel 2007 I think it was, would of allowed you to create a DBF file directly from within Excel itself. When we started with 2010, this feature of Excel went away so I had to divide my operation into an import first from an XLSX file created by Excel 2010 and then do a separate append operation once the dbf file was created. Ok, so that worked as long as we were on Windows 7 and Excel 2010.

Now here we are with Excel 2016 running on Windows 10. We had previously updated from Alpha 5 v10.5 to Alpha 5 v11, avoiding the Alpha Anywhere product because of the extremely high cost of Alpha anywhere. So, when my old import operation refused to work because of part of the #2 annoyance, I started from scratch and used xls instead of xlsx, because xlsx now refuses to work when created from Excel 2016. When I run the import operation, I start getting dialogue boxes with the message "Table Not Found" ..Local\Temp\xyz.dbf, 0 records will be imported. Then, you click ok, then it runs the operation. Why does it insist on looking first in my app\local folder for this dbf file in the first place and giving me this idiot message about 0 records being importing, and then it imports it from where it is supposed to after you click ok. I am trying to eliminate all the idiot messages because I don't want my user seeing confusing dialogues like this. So how do I stop this behavior?

Import Operation.JPG

Re: Alpha 5 V11 acting stupid; seemingly after Windows 10/Office 2016 Installation

All imports to existing tables consist of in import to temporary table followed by an append (from that temp table) to the destination table. If you want to verify just view the xbasic of any import operation you have that imports to an existing table.

Why does it insist on looking first in my app\local folder for this dbf file
    Alpha is looking there for the temporary table from which to append to the destination. As to why that is failing is hard to say. View the xbasic behind the operation and see where Alpha expects the temp table to be and verify that the location exists.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Re: Alpha 5 V11 acting stupid; seemingly after Windows 10/Office 2016 Installation

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
      All imports to existing tables consist of in import to temporary table followed by an append (from that temp table) to the destination table. If you want to verify just view the xbasic of any import operation you have that imports to an existing table.

Alpha is looking there for the temporary table from which to append to the destination. As to why that is failing is hard to say. View the xbasic behind the operation and see where Alpha expects the temp table to be and verify that the location exists.

That is interesting Stan. Can you tell me how exactly I find the xbasic code for the import operation? While I am waiting on your response, I will google it, but it will probably be faster if you see this in time.

Thanks,

Bruce

Comment

Oh never mind Stan, I found the XB in blue right beside the run icon, and the xbasic came right up. I learned something new about Alpha 5 today. Thank you

Comment

Then let's tack something on. When you see the xbasic notice that you can copy to clipboard or save as script. Imagine the possibilities.....
          There can be only one.

Comment

I am also getting a lot of "Out of Memory" or "Read past end of file" messages lately as well. The one I got right at 5 was an "Out of Memory". I don't think that really means that, so what else could it be when I get that one?

Thanks,

Bruce

Comment

Alpha can report an out of memory error when trying to import an Excel file that is a later version than supported by the type of import routine chosen. So if you have an .xlsx named as .xls and try the classic import operation, no go.
              There can be only one.

Comment

When we were discussing looking at the Xbasic script for the import, what I discovered in part were these two lines:

import.file = "\\fstyler\revenue\kathy\nmtaxtoa5.xls"
                import.db = "\\fstyler\revenue\kathy\nmtaxtoa5_temp_table.dbf"

\\fstyler is obviously a network location. I don't see it create the nmtaxtoa5_temp_table.dbf at all.

However, the actual error message has to do with a message saying the table is not found in my user\AppData\Local\temp folder, from my hard drive. It needs to quit worrying about that, because I am not saving this file to a dbf on my hard disk. I am working totally off a network location because I am not the main user, another person is. So, I decided to run all this activity through the network folder because as a person who deals with this particular user's application since I created the application, I cannot access her hard disk files from my computer based on our company sharing policies.

Is there a way to get this message to go away given this scenario?

Thanks,

Bruce

Comment

I noticed you haven't tried what I suggested in your other thread about setting the file as new instead of existing - did you try it?
                  Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by MoGrace View Post
                    I noticed you haven't tried what I suggested in your other thread about setting the file as new instead of existing - did you try it?

Comment

Yes I did try it with a little success as I recall. Haven’t worked with it any since the day of my post.

Comment

MS-Excel V3.0,V4.0,2003,2007,2010 (*.xls;*.xlsx)
                        These are the allowable ones.
                        Suggest that you save the Excel sheet in V4 and try it.

When you create the Import Operation using the Genie, are you able to set the following correctly?;
                        No Field Names
                        Import File location
                        Result Table
                        Select the Field names

If you are running this on your machine using network drives you have access to, you should see the results in your V11 Workspace Tables.
                        If you are attempting to run it using someone else's network drive to which you don't have access, you may fail.

Can you let us know if this application is a Runtime/Shadowed/local installation please.
                        See our Hybrid Option here;
                        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X