Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Wireless Networks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Networks

Hello

One of our key A5 desktop applications is for workshops who service, inspect and maintain trucks.

It would be useful if mechanics could use a Windows 7 device within a wireless network for entering and updating data.

We looked at wireless networks a few years back and quite honestly a pigeon with a note strapped to its leg could have communicated faster!

Has anyone any experience of running a desktop application on a network wifi - say 10 users?

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.

Kind regards

Alex
    Database Software Solutions Limited
    www.dbasesolution.co.uk
    http://www.precise360.co.uk
    PRECISE360 -
    LYNCHPIN -

Re: Wireless Networks

SQL or DBF?
    What Win7 device?
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Hello Giles

dbf

and Panasonic Tuffbooks i5s

Many thanks

Alex
      www.dbasesolution.co.uk
      PRECISE360 -
      LYNCHPIN -

Comment

I use a net gear router and it seems to handle around 10 connections real fine.
        Mostly for internet, but do run a couple laptops at a time + another desktop. No problems with this system up to about 100 yards.
        Very quick as well.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Look at using RDP or TSPlus and a server that will handle ten users in remote sessions.

Wireless networks are too sporadic to run in a thick client environment.

And performance is much better.

You are only displaying the screen on the remote device rather than transferring data to and from the remote device.
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD
          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Hello Muir.
            I did this configuration with A5 V9 for the NHS reviewing chronic diseases in the home.
            When the toughbook came back into wifi range the db was updated.
            Shadowed installation.
            A5 ran well on the Panasonics.
            Depending on the wifi spread, you may need a few repeaters dotted about.
            Suggest to build a micky mouse app and run it on the server and a toughbook while walking about the workshop. You will see the strength of the connection.

Comment

Ted

Firstly, for some reason I keep addressing you by your surname!!
              Please accept my apologies. I'm getting old!
              Thanks for your input.

An option that is starting to be asked for by customers is for their fitters to enter the data on jobs via an iPad.

Have you any experience of running a A5V12 desktop on a wireless network using iPads?
              Or using iPads as workstations to an A5V10-12 application?

Many thanks

Alex
              www.dbasesolution.co.uk
              PRECISE360 -
              LYNCHPIN -

Comment

Alpha, desktop versions, run under Windows and won't run on an iPad.
                There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
                  Alpha, desktop versions, run under Windows and won't run on an iPad.
                  Hi Stan

Is there not emulation software that will allow you to run Windows applications on an iPad?
                  The only emulation software I have experience of was running Unix under Windows which was a bit like the pigeon mentioned above!

Thank you for your help.
                  Kind regards

Alex
                  www.dbasesolution.co.uk
                  PRECISE360 -
                  LYNCHPIN -

Comment

Not for an iPad or any other tablet as far as I am aware. There is something called Parallels that is supposed to allow the operation of Windows programs on iMacs, desktop or laptop. I have not heard much good from those attempting to use it to run Alpha.

Doubtless one of the reasons A5V12 has Mobile/Browser and Tablet Optimized forums for those using "other devices".

What is available are remote desktop apps which allow you to connect to a desktop and operate it as if sitting in front of it.
                    Last edited by Stan Mathews; 03-29-2018, 08:52 AM.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Actually, you can run Alpha V12 on an iPad but not installed. You need to install Microsoft's Remote Desktop app on your iPad. Then you need to set up RDP on the server. Then using the WEB and WiFi you can remotely connect to your alpha app. The only issue is your form may need to be sized differently to fit comfortably on the iPad. I'm running 2 Alpha apps this way.
                      Alpha 5 Version 11
                      AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
                      DBF's and MySql
                      Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

I took a different approach using SQL as the Db on a server.
                        The Alpha side runs on desktops, with a SQL backend.
                        Then there is a mobile App which can be sized for phones or tablets. Due to the limitations of phones and tablets, the screens need to have a different design and feel. No RDP stuff so it's usable on any device with wifior 4g connectivity and a browser.
                        Users can choose to use dt or mobile, however mobile does require either wifi or 4g to work reasonably well.
                        Not all the app needs to be on SQL, just the data used to update the tables if you choose to use a hybrid dbf/sql arrangement.

Plusses amd minus to both approaches

Comment

Ted, how is the desktop app interacting with the SQL tables? Web component on the desktop? Active-link tables?
                          Finian

Comment

Hi Finian, it's Active-Link - no Web component as that would require a WAS license.
                            The objective was to slim down the updating details to the bare minimum. In my case, the web side recorded Met/Not Met/Partially Met, Date, Examiner and a few notes for a situation.

In Alex's situation - and I am making a huge assumption here - is that there are only so many things a mechanic would really need to record for a given vehicle.
                            Example;
                            Job Code
                            Time Started
                            Time Finished
                            Unexpected Events (cross threaded bolts, incorrect parts)
                            Tick list of things done if servicing

What isn't required is the rest of the bumph that makes up an application.
                            So the SQL side is just a very brief recording of events and could be imported to the main application for more detailed stuff like billing - OK a bit of redundancy - but very simple to set up and use.
                            Only the bare essentials need to be on the SQL side to reduce the Alpha SQL speed issues occasionally experienced.

Comment

Ted, I have a similar requirement updating a DT app running on remote laptops then pushing records when the device is detecting wireless/wired connection. For Active-Link tables, how do you prevent insert/update if no connection is available as I believe it's instant on a per record basis? I have to start on this project next month...hoping to avoid bumbling through. Documentation is a bit spotty on this topic.
                              Last edited by menehune; 03-29-2018, 04:28 PM. Reason: kant spel goode

Comment

Working...
                              X