Alpha Video Training

Thread: List Control - Display a dirty warning message that prevents user from moving off the list control panel.

Real Name
    Frank Zwolinski

Default List Control - Display a dirty warning message that prevents user from moving off the list control panel.

Since the last release of Alpha 5088 April 19,2018, my users have been getting an intermittent error on a clean list control.
    Steps
    1. Viewing schedule list.
    2. Tap Detail to move from list to detail view panel
    3. This message appears - "You must first save or undo the changes you have made to the List's Detail View."
    4. User unable to leave the list. The message displays BEFORE moving to panel.
    5. No edits have been made. The list is clean.
    6. The workaround is to swipe close and log back in.
    7. I was able to duplicate the error once in 70 tries. About 10 out of 250 users reported the error today.
    9. This is a disconnected app.

This message comes from the customization properties of the list control detail view..
    Is there a way to turn off the detail view customization messages if this is a bug?
    I display my own custom messages so I don't need the customization messages.
    Never had this problem in the past 2 years.

I recalculated all controls since the last version was over 6 months old.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Real Name
    Frank Zwolinski

Default Re: List Control - Display a dirty warning message that prevents user from moving off the list control panel.

Even though something is making the list dirty behind the scenes, I changed the Auto-Commit detail view on row select property to checked. This will commit any detail view changes automatically and not show the message. I deployed this change early this morning and no one has reported an issue.

If I remove the check box for the auto-commit option, I can use a custom java script function to determine which control is dirty in the detail view to help me understand what may be changing programatically. The javascript function is added to the list detail view customization warning message for "dirty Detail view record". See screen shot.

function savedetail() {
    var columnNames = {dialog.Object}._dataBoundControls;
    for(var k in {dialog.Object}.columnInfo) columnNames.push(k);

//need to figure out how to loop through all detail view controls and test for a5IsDirty property

var lcompanyname = {dialog.Object}.getPointer('COMPANYNAME');
    var fnDirty = lcompanyname.attributes['a5isdirty'].value;
    alert(fnDirty);

}
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Jeff Grannis

Default Re: List Control - Display a dirty warning message that prevents user from moving off the list control panel.

I have a similar issue so I came up with this bit of code that I can call from various points to try to see what is going on. I just look at all lists because the warning isn't clear as to which list/detail view is considered dirty.

Code:
    var arrayLists = {dialog.object}._listControls;
    var lObj;
    var arrayCtrlsInDV = [];
    for (i = 0; i < arrayLists.length; i++) {
        lObj = {dialog.object}.getControl(arrayLists[i]);
        console.log('-------'+arrayLists[i]+'-------------------------------------');
        console.log('Number of rows: '+lObj._data.length);
        console.log('Number of visible rows: '+lObj._rData.length);
        if (typeof lObj._dvIsDirty != 'undefined'){
        	console.log('Detail View is dirty: '+lObj._dvIsDirty);
        	arrayCtrlsInDV = lObj._controlsInDV;
        	for (j = 0; j < arrayCtrlsInDV.length; j++) {
        		console.log('DV control, '+arrayCtrlsInDV[j]+', isDirty: '+{dialog.object}.getControlDirty(arrayCtrlsInDV[j]));
        	}
        } else {
        	console.log('Detail View is not configured');
        }
    }

Real Name
    Frank Zwolinski

Thanks so much for that code. This is very helpful. Appreciate it.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Is there a way to turn off the detail view customization messages if this is a bug?
    If you don't want the message to appear, just clear out the default detail view error message settings. Then no error will pop up.

Real Name
    Frank Zwolinski

Peter, I tried your suggestion and I get a java script error. The auto-commit was my solution.
    listview_nomessage_error.png

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Can't say, Frank. It's worked for me. I've done that a couple of times. But it's hard to remember in which project or component(s).

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

Coming back to an old thread: We ended up getting this to work!

We used two containers, both 1 px thick.

The first container goes across the top of the UX at 100% width. (Actually, it is just above a Tab Control, but you get the picture.)

The second container goes vertically on the left for the height of the page. (Of course, 100% height doesn't work.)

In the mouse out event of both containers we save the UX.

I was stumped on this for a long time because I was trying to put a single container all the way around the space I wanted to save - but the container events don't work that way. You "Mouse Out" of a container every time you go over another control inside the container. But by just making them long skinny containers up the left and over the top it worked.

I now have a UX that autosaves if you try to leave, it doesn't do a million calls back to the server (like it would if I tried to save after every edit). It's not fool proof, someone could still find a way to close the browser without saving - but those fools don't need to use the app!

Thanks all!