Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

V12 Runtime License suddenly invalid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: V12 Runtime License suddenly invalid

@Gregg. I'm not sure that bug fixing comes under the heading of "getting things right"
    Lenny, Richard and Selwyn have helped me in the past and I always thank them IF it was my problem as opposed to theirs.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Just had this happen again. Would appreciate a response from Alpha, either to acknowledge the error or say 'not us'

Comment

You need to approach Lenny or Selwyn, Jon.
        Theyvrarely monitor this board.

Comment

Ted,

I will raise this with Alpha as it's happening too often now. There's no excuse for throwing off legitimate users with no way of resolving the issue except to wait for the problem to go away.

It's a known issue that keeps coming back and biting me, usually at weekends/evenings when I'd rather be resting.

Comment

I am not sure why the RT is checking with an AS server.
            If you purchased the RT, it's your problem if the app gets pinched.
            Also, it should be possible to run RT without an I/net connection.
            Have you tried changing the Win update settings? If the pc internet is set to "metered" that is one way of preventing Windiws updates.
            I know that people have issues when Win10 grabs the bandwidth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
              I am not sure why the RT is checking with an AS server.
              If you purchased the RT, it's your problem if the app gets pinched.
              Also, it should be possible to run RT without an I/net connection.
              Have you tried changing the Win update settings? If the pc internet is set to "metered" that is one way of preventing Windiws updates.
              I know that people have issues when Win10 grabs the bandwidth.
              Ted,

You have to have a valid RT license with current AA RT to run RT and license is checked against AS server.
              So there is nothing a developer can do to avoid this problem if it happens with valid license.

Comment

So you cannot run a V12 RT session without an internet connection?
                Not sure that is correct. If it is, it shouldn't be. Same with a dev license, you don't always want to be online.
                My other web toolkit allows dev off line locally, although there are license checks if you are on line.
                V11 hasn't got this problem.

Edit.
                Just reconfirmed with V11 and my old version of V12 while internet was disconnected. All works OK here.
                Last edited by Ted Giles; 08-22-2018, 07:36 AM. Reason: After additional testing.

Comment

Hello

Today we had issues with a large number of our users being unable to login into their A5V12 systems due to license restrictions.

Eventually it came back on line, and everybody is OK.

This is the third time this year this has happened.

I appreciate Alpha we don't live in a perfect world.
                  However, you need to get this fixed.

If you are going to restrict usage in this way it has to work 100% every day.

Kind regards

Alex
                  Database Software Solutions Limited
                  www.dbasesolution.co.uk
                  http://www.precise360.co.uk
                  PRECISE360 -
                  LYNCHPIN -

Comment

Alex, did you send this to [email protected]?
                    They don't monitor this board but occasionally Lenny pops up to give an answer.

Comment

Hello Ted

Yes my colleague is in discussion with one or the other.
                      Might even be both!

Thanks for asking.

Kind regards

Alex
                      www.dbasesolution.co.uk
                      PRECISE360 -
                      LYNCHPIN -

Comment

Comment

I would think the RT should be considered outside the active subscription policy. Developer clients who pay a fixed price for an installable product might or might not be online but they shouldn't be penalized if said developer decides against using Alpha down the road.

In reality RT applications naturally protect Alpha's revenue stream because if the developer copy expires the RT app can never be updated again. Most developer clients probably want/will pay for improvements as time goes on; therefore, renewed dev subscription.

Comment

I agree the RT should be outside the current licensing policy.
                            I also support Alpha in licensing the developer versions of their software. As you say it creates revenue streams which are necessary to fund ongoing development.
                            These aspects are of value to us as developers and we should rightly contribute.

However, they are irrelevant to end users. They don't care and why should they.
                            They have enough issues in their business without having to worry about those of Alpha.
                            Now I sympathise with Selwyn and all the good people at Alpha and their ongoing battle with hackers which I am led to believe is the cause of the woes.
                            But it?s a problem that needs to get sorted.

After all, if we were talking about interruptions to let?s say an organ transplant operating theatre, or a military base or a city's power resources, the issue would have been sorted by now.
                            When it happens, it causes end users aggravation. It causes us as developers? aggravation. It causes Selwyn and his team aggravation. It breeds ill feeling all round.
                            When it happens repeatedly as it has this year so far, it becomes wearisome.

I know its not an easy problem Selwyn and I know you and your team will be doing the best you can, but maybe you should look at the exclusion of the RT?

Kind regards

Alex
                            www.dbasesolution.co.uk
                            PRECISE360 -
                            LYNCHPIN -

Comment

Beware: I did distribute my runtime to a few clients a while back and they had issues. It seems I was unknowingly 1 version over my limit. It ran for a few weeks and had same issues as you. I Backed up 1 version and all was well.
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I believe there's an option for one-time activation, or offline activation for users that aren't always online. To be honest, for the runtime that should probably be the default. Why should 3rd parties be incovenienced and unable to use legitimate software because Alpha servers are playing up?

Comment

Working...
                                X