Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Creating a list on a menu screen

Real Name
    Bob M

Default Creating a list on a menu screen

I am creating a CMS program for my own use. I am using A5V10.5

I access a variety of customers in the database throughout the day. I could, every day, want to revisit several of them several times a day as I receive more information.

Is there a way to show, on the opening screen of the program, the last 5 reviewed in my program and those five names (Last Name, First name, Unique Contact ID#)? Hence the list can change in one day or over several days (as opposed to doing a query and opening that info in the appropriate form. The parent table, in my set, holds all the relevant information.

My first thought is creating 5 variables and as I access a customer store the information in a variable field on the screen and list the variables on the opening screen. I want to be able to click on the name and it takes me to the customers more detailed information. But this seems bulky to me.

FYI, I am not fluent, or even competent, in XBasic but I can get through with Action Scripting.

Thanks in advance

Real Name
    Robin

Default Re: Creating a list on a menu screen

Hi Bob,
    In the table that holds the customer info, add a date field with its calculated value set to date(). Also add a logical field that you set on the form to be a checkbox and set the field's OnChange event to save the record.

When you review a customer, set the checkbox to TRUE and the date field will be updated. Any change to a record will update the calc field if you don't use the checkbox.

At the close of the app (assuming every day) you could run an update operation to set the logical field to FALSE for all customers who do not have the date field = date().

Now when you open the app the following day, you can display the customers whose date field was yesterday using a filter on the form or you can call the form with a query.

I'll see if I can make you an example using AlphaSports...
    Last edited by MoGrace; 06-13-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Robin

Open AlphaSports and import these two forms based on the customer table. Open Cust_Rev to see records dated 6/12/18. There is also the option on that form to select a different date (6/8 or 6/11) in case you don't see this today...

edit_cust_info.a5pkg
    cust_rev.a5pkg
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Bob M

Thanks.

I will take a look at the Alpha Sports suggestions

Real Name
    Dave Mason

In a current CRM I sell, The user is presented an option to open a report(in preview) of similar to what you are wanting? Just created a report for people scheduled for followup and then just ask the user if they would like to see it when they enter the application. If they click "ok" they can view report, then print as needed.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Bob M

Thanks for the input. What I think I did was a combination of suggestions.

Created a logical field in my main table called Under_Review. I placed it on the base form of my customer detail form as a checkbox. Defaulted it to .F. for data entry. If my work with a particular customer is not done (usually for lack of documents attached to their record), I check the under review box on the customer's detail screen.

I placed a button on my opening screen that opens a filtered browse (under_review=.T.). This calls a filtered browse with Customer ID, First and Last Name and city of residence fields. I used rowdblclick event to open the detail customer screen. And, then I am at the point where I can continue adding information and remove the under review check if done or leave it there if still more to do.

Thanks for the input. It certainly helped and pointed me in a final plan/method that works.

Real Name
    Robin

Good to hear.
    Robin