Alpha Video Training

Thread: Bought a NEW Computer

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Default Bought a NEW Computer

Ok, so I FINALLY bought a new system - it should be here tomorrow night. How do I migrate correctly and with the least amount of fuss.
    My thoughts are to install AA first then copy my projects into the new install.

What do I need to do so that when I fire up my software, all of my projects are there including PG Build applications?

DO I need to deactivate the license?
    What is the correct order and steps to take?

I have an external USB drive now that I plan to hook up to the new system where I house my projects? Yes, I have made backups, but not in the last few days.
    My current system is still in working order so I can easily get to anything if I need to.

Thanks for any and all input on this!

BTW new system ( yes I am a gamer too!) seems to be an incredible bang for the buck.
    https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-...ct_top?ie=UTF8
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Default Re: Bought a NEW Computer

Using a cyberpower pc now. Very fast and very strong. From Best Buy. I have a client using the same computer for a server. Setup was done by his IT at my suggestion and he is running faster than was ever possible on a brand new Dell server. He is usung win10 pro and has a VM for winxp running too.
    Might be easier to name the new pc same as old one. I got the 2T hd, 16G memory and 3.5GHZ one. It is a year old and never a hiccup
    Ok, so I FINALLY bought a new system - it should be here tomorrow night. How do I migrate correctly and with the least amount of fuss.
    My thoughts are to install AA first then copy my projects into the new install.
    Projects should be in their own folders on a drive.

You could clone the hard drive rather than copy
    Last edited by DaveM; 06-21-2018 at 05:49 PM.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

There is absolutely no need to name your new computer the same as the old one as far as Alpha is concerned. You do not need to do anything special for activation.

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Thanks Lenny. did not know there had been a change.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

This is not a change. Alpha has never required or even recommended that a replacement computer use the same name as the previous one, though I have seen several message board posters suggest doing so.

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Gregg Schmidt

It used to be for "an easy" transition from old computer to new, we had to name the new computer the same as the old one because
    of Alpha Licensing.

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Well, either way, I still want to know what I need to do.
    So far it seems like I obviously need to install AA on the new PC then what?
    Do I simply copy my project folder into AA? If that is the case - WOW - so simple.
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Gregg Schmidt

That is essentially "all" you need to do (to start with).
    There are other things that might be affected by the move (connection to your back-end and/or A5 server, firewall settings).
    It's difficult to tell without knowing your setup, but as you know, it's one step at a time.

Real Name
    Jon P Moody

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Forziati View Post
    There is absolutely no need to name your new computer the same as the old one as far as Alpha is concerned. You do not need to do anything special for activation.
    Lenny, if that is the case, why did I have to shell out $299 for a new A5V11 license as the old one wouldn't activate on my new PC?

"Certified" Alphaholic Ted Giles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ted Giles

The naming issue is in the V11 documentation.
    When a machine breaks, a newcone with the same name can be used with existing V11 software.
    In the old days, Alpha would help you by deleting the old name so you could put in a new one if you were really stuck.
    Perhaps you didn't ask the question Jon?
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

http://ec12.example-software.com//
    See our site for Alpha Support, Conversion and Upgrade.

Real Name
    Jon P Moody

Ted,

If you mean Alpha would delete the old PC name on their systems so that I could re-register with the new name that's exactly what I requested. I was told in no uncertain terms that thatc was not an option as my license was out of support. Only options given were to rename my computer (not suggested by Alpha, but known to have worked in the past), possibly breaking my V12 & V10.5 licenses, or buy another copy of V11 for $299.

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Ok, so far so good with the new computer - runs like a champ!
    I looked at my old computer, the "workspace" is located on a certain folder in my C drive.
    Should I copy that folder to a thumb drive and put it in my C drive on the new PC? Does anyone know if the path is relevant and necessary, rather does it need to be exactly the same?
    Is this the best way to import my project?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Gregg Schmidt

I would certainly try to keep the path the same just for the sake of sanity.
    It really depends on how you wrote the code for your project.

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Ok, so far so good! I copied my project folder and all of it's contents to a thumb drive. I then copied the folder into My Documents folder which btw is not the exact original path. Fired up AA, clicked to open other workspaces, and I am right back to work. Zero issues.

My anxiety was unnecessary, Alpha Software went right back to work as though nothing changed including connection strings, etc. I literally went right back to working on my project immediately. The biggest pain was copying the files to the thumb drive because it took quite some time, but the new computer is much faster and copying the files to the new PC was quick and painless.

I'll post back any caveats I run into - but again, this went REALLY SMOOTH. Simple as copy and paste - right back at it!

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Charles,
    Just wondering? Which variant did you get? I got the very old one with 3.2GHZ some years back and the newer one is 3.5GHZ. They now have a 4.2GHZ.
    Also, can you give a money amount you paid. Mine was 769.00 a year ago from Best Buy(shipped).
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Dave, the link I posted in the beginning shows the exact machine and cost that came to $789.09 with overnight shipping! From what I can tell, meaning user experience, the processor speed differences between a 2.8 and a 3.4 are irrelevant. My old machine had 2 physical 3.4ghz and 5 gigs of ram, it's an IBM 286 server with redundant power supplies. It still runs fine but because the hardware is much older I could not upgrade windows beyond 8 PRO or install the latest .net framework.
    Performance wise the new machine is clearly much faster and I am very happy with it. I just setup virtualbox to run ios in a virtual machine and I am hoping to clone my old hard drive windows 8 PRO setup and set that up in a virtual machine as well.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Sorry Charles, should have looked. You have 6 core and 1 TB drive, I got AMD instead of intel(my choice) and 8 core(not needed) +@Tb and small ssd . That was a year ago and I picked it up at Best Buy store to save shipping. Plan to get another one pretty soon.

Like I said, client just replaced an ancient server with similar, but faster and larger SSD. It was about 850.00 at Best Buy
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Either way - great machines at a great price! I should have done this a couple of years ago. I was a little nervous knowing I would have to move and reinstall all of my everyday applications - AA being the main one I use, along with Office, Photoshop CS3, etc. It makes me realize how important online applications are now. One thing I knew for sure, the application I built to run my business with AA was going to be there, regardless of the device I am on! So even though, my development machine was down my business never was.

So the final word on this is this - it was really great to simply install the latest release, copy my project and get on with my work!
    Microsoft Office 2010 Professional on the other hand...horse-expletive.

"Certified" Alphaholic iRadiate's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stephen

I'm just wondering if you could have also simply Exported the workspace then Imported the workspace into Alpha on the new machine?
    I suppose this would do the same thing as copying the the files yourself.

Glad it worked out well!!!
    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.5.5.0 Build 5667-5254 IIS v8.5 on Windows Server 2012 in Hyper-V

Real Name
    Charles Parker

probably, as I have done that in regards to a bug Selwyn was helping me with a year or so ago. I think it was at that time he recommended I delete some of my old backups or something that made the export extremely large unnessarily.

Real Name
    Ben Sacherich

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesParker View Post
    Ok, so far so good! I copied my project folder and all of it's contents to a thumb drive. I then copied the folder into My Documents folder which btw is not the exact original path. Fired up AA, clicked to open other workspaces, and I am right back to work. Zero issues.

My anxiety was unnecessary, Alpha Software went right back to work as though nothing changed including connection strings, etc. I literally went right back to working on my project immediately. The biggest pain was copying the files to the thumb drive because it took quite some time, but the new computer is much faster and copying the files to the new PC was quick and painless.

I'll post back any caveats I run into - but again, this went REALLY SMOOTH. Simple as copy and paste - right back at it!
    It sounds like moving your project files was easy. Are there any settings or configuration files that you copied from your old computer? I'm now doing a fresh install and I don't remember the settings I tweaked. I'd like to know where my preferences are stored and what is the best method of migrating them.

Real Name
    Charles Parker

Everything just worked as expected no reason to fear or migrate preferences as far as I know. I have never tweaked the UI but I am pretty sure those preferences would be stored in the same folder with everything else.

Real Name
    Ben Sacherich

Does anyone know where Alpha Anywhere stores its global UI settings? I'm assuming that these are not stored with my projects.

"Certified" Alphaholic glenschild's Avatar
    Real Name
    Glen Schild

Hi Ben

Try C:\ProgramData\Alpha Software\Alpha Anywhere Version 12\Installations\CProgramFilesx86a5V12

Cheers

Glen
    Glen Schild

My Blog