Alpha Video Training

Thread: Calling Forms in different set

Real Name
    Bob M

Default Calling Forms in different set

This might be something simple. Did a search but don't see anything similar.

I have a database with several sets. I want to call a form from one set via a button on another form (specifically an opening dashboard/main menu.

Perhaps a set should be set up as a child of the main set? This is an insurance customer management application with two high-level contacts. One is for contact personal line (auto/home) products and another set is for business type products/contacts.

I suppose it is possible I have too much info in each primary table (this info is not duplicated in other tables) for the respective set. and could define the primary with fewer fields. That said, the basic info for each contact is different as to basic info, such as name, address, and phone numbers. There is similar information in so much as they each have quotes, policies, comments.

Perhaps I have not done the best job of explaining, but hopefully, someone will understand the premise in the second paragraph.

Thanks

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: Calling Forms in different set

Not sure what call a form would mean.

If you simply want to open a form the action script element, Open Form or Browse layout will accomplish this and has settable options for what to do if the form is already open, etc.. If you want the xbasic it is

:Form.view(layout_name)

Image 7.png
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Bob M

Thanks, Stan

Call is my terminology for open.

Senility has set in, I guess. I swear the forms I was looking for were not on the AS list but, alas, now they are.

A quick philosophical question I know has been here more than once. What percentage of data review, data entry, data edit/change work is done using Dialog Boxes with XBasic Data Entry versus simply designing a form?

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

I don't do data entry so I wouldn't know. (Just data mining and warehousing.)

xdialogs allow for more control, validation, etc. and reduce the need for provision of rollback processes. Forms are much simpler to design and implement.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Having done more than a few insurance apps, One set of tables can handle it all and probably make the app a bit simpler and quicker.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Robin

I have a database with several sets. I want to call a form from one set via a button on another form (specifically an opening dashboard/main menu.
    If you are looking to create a main menu with buttons to call your other forms, you can do this with a 'dummy' table. You do not need to have any links to the other tables or sets at all. Take a look at the AlphaSports Menu.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Bob M

MoGrace,

That is my current direction

Real Name
    Robin

You might want to look in the Wiki for how to use as form as wallpaper. It can get a bit tricky using the form events, but you can keep the form always open and ordered to the bottom of the stack when other forms are opened.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Dave Mason

My dummy table-"adummy" only has one blank field. It holds the menu form. Menu form is nothing but a form with buttons and information. Buttons just open other forms as desired. almost any button on a form can open another form regardless of Tables and sets it may be built on. How you open that other form is a bit more tricky sometimes.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46