Alpha Video Training

Thread: Runtimes and bitmaps

Real Name
    Lanny Tonning

Default Runtimes and bitmaps

I changed the backdrop on an application to a .bmp photo from just a color and for reasons not understood by me, the message comes up that Alpha cannot load the bitmap. I've moved it to the same folder as the program/app data etc. It works fine on the full version where I modify the app, but will not load on runtime machines on the network either directly from the main machine or in a shadow...

Any idea of wazzup?

lt

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default Re: Runtimes and bitmaps

Not all bitmaps are created equal. There are different flavors of the .bmp format and my guess is that you are using a different flavor than the original bitmap..
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Lanny Tonning

Hmm. Well, the run time doesn't like OS/2 or Windows BMPs. Nor .jpg bitmaps....guess I'll go with a color from the selection window. I'm sure that somewhere there is a note on just what kind of bitmaps the runtimes will run...I'll be searching.

lt

Real Name
    Lanny Tonning

As with most stuff, it was easy once I figured out what to do. The proper method is not to load from a file. That will be fine with the full version display of the form but won't show up on the runtimes. Change Embedded Bitmap is the way to get this done. Works with full version. Works with runtimes and will show up in a shadow. So. There. As for loading the bitmap into the table and dragging it into the form design area....well - I was not able to get that done - but I'm sure there is a way.

lt

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Lanny,

There was some mention in some older threads regarding a possible size limitation (of which no documentation has been given since I see) ...You did not mention the sizes of the images you were using but regardless have you tried reducing them down in size to see if they work then??
    Mike

Real Name
    Bill Jordan

I don't remember why but I found that I had to save bmp's in the code tab area of the control panel for them to appear/work properly.

Real Name
    Steve Andrews

Lanny,

We had problems with loading bitmaps until we did just as Bill pointed out and put the bitmap within the code section. Upon doing so, instead of loading the bitmap from a file we loaded it from a library. When you do so, select the "BML Images" category. You will now find your bitmap there.

This process being totally free of paths it is cleaner and rarely gives the problem of being unable to load.

Steve

Real Name
    Robin

I tried the suggestions I found here from Lanny & Bill and they seemed to work fine in the runtime/shadow on my pc, but when the other workstation is optimized his bitmaps still show the magenta background instead of being transparent. The png images seem ok, but not the bmp's. Is there another issue I should look into on the other workstation? I compacted all the attached .alb files on the server first.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Jon P Moody

A5 V7?

Real Name
    Robin

The app originally begain in v4.5 but was been updated to v11 (when the bitmaps were added) and now to v12
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Craig Schumacker

If I am reading your problem correctly:

BMP formatted files can not have transparent backgrounds. PNG can have a transparent background if it is created as such.

The BMP can be converted with Photoshop, or Gimp is a similar app you can download and use under a public license. Just open the BMP, remove the background layer, and save for web as PNG.

Real Name
    Robin

Alpha is supposed to render a magenta background RGB of 255-0-255 as transparent. It works on one machine with the runtime but not with the other...my guess is the network optimize is not updating files that have not changed with the new version.

I did make a png out of one bmp just to test it on a form. I reselected the new bitmap which should have triggered the change to the dictionary but still it shows as pink. I am going to try copying the dictionary files from one shadow to the other next.
    Last edited by MoGrace; 11-26-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    Robin

Real Name
    Craig Schumacker

I seem to remember that the BMP transparency always left a pink halo on the border pixels where transparency occurred, so I never used it. I had forgotten it even worked. I'm kind of picky about image files being crisp.

I also seem to remember having to delete the picture from the dictionary before the new one was reflected. You might try compacting after removing, then adding the image again.

I also seem to think I found Alpha handled bitmaps better if added to the application's dictionary, and embedding in the table / set dictionary's made for inconsistent results.

It's been a while since my findings, but I'm pretty sure the above accurately reflects my findings. Again, not too sure this helps you at all...

Real Name
    Robin

It was 2 settings in Preferences:

Alpha Anywhere Theme: Windows XP
    XP Theme: Enable
    Robin