Thread: SQL Genie issue

Real Name
    James Ledford

Default SQL Genie issue

I am having an issue in the SQL Genie on the Grid control. I have used it many times before, but I am using a new database and it is giving me fits. Basically, when I go to add a link to a table none of the fields will come up, and when I switch to the column tabs there are no columns. I have a UX component that reads and writes with no problems using the same connection string, and I can execute a query within the SQL Genie itself. I was wondering if anyone had seen an issue like this before, as I am sure it is something simple I am doing wrong. If I wasn't able to successfully do so many other operations on the database I don't think it would be as frustrating.
    These images are showing the SQL genie when it isn't working as expected on the left, and when it is working as expected on the right. I am using MySQL, and this database is still on my local machine.

BadTime.png Working.png

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

Default Re: SQL Genie issue

It would help if we could also see the tab to the left of the genie (Tables)

Also, if you look at the top of the broken columns page, you see that the tablename is blank. If you click the table drop down and select a table, does it work? Does it show any tables in that dropdown when not working?

Real Name
    Rich Fulham

1) Is "tblcoils" the exact lower/upper case that it appears in MySQL?

2) Query the database system objects to see if "tblcoils" shows up. In Microsoft SQL this would be:

use your_database_name;
    SELECT * FROM sys.objects WHERE name = 'tblcoils';

I don't know the MySQL equivalent.

3) Try renaming "tblcoils" to "coils".
    I had weird stuff like this happen in MS SQL when I used "sys" as the leading characters of table names, as in "sysTbl". Maybe Alpha is doing the same with the "tbl" prefix in MySQL.

Real Name
    James Ledford

Quote Originally Posted by lgrupido View Post
    It would help if we could also see the tab to the left of the genie (Tables)

Also, if you look at the top of the broken columns page, you see that the tablename is blank. If you click the table drop down and select a table, does it work? Does it show any tables in that dropdown when not working?
    The drop down list does show the tables at times, sometimes it doesn't. I'll be honest, I just wrote the SQL statements without the help of the genie and they all work fine. The builders throughout Alpha just won't show any information about the tables. I am fairly sure at this point that the MySQL version and Alpha just aren't getting along. Either way, the application is working, so I really appreciate the helpful replies. I will probably try to rewrite the application at a later time with an earlier version of MySQL and see if that is the issue.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

What version of MySQL are you using?

Real Name
    James Ledford

MySQL 8.0

Real Name
    Rich Fulham

Perhaps the SQL Login you are using does not have enough permissions. Alpha is much happier if you use a login that is considered the owner of the tables and, dare I say, a sql login that has unrestricted access to everything in the entire SQL instance (like access to the system databases). I have not used MySQL with Alpha. But I can say when working under Microsoft SQL and Alpha, especially with IIS, it is rather painful not using the Windows user that installed the SQL instance or the "sa" (System Administrator) account for the SQL instance.

Real Name
    James Ledford

Rich, I went down that same path. I have it set up precisely the same as a previous application I made a few years ago with the only exception being the version of MySQL. It was driving me crazy, so I just bypassed it, but I will revisit the issue later when I get through this phase of development. Thank You again for your responses.

Real Name
    James Ledford

Just a quick update. I installed SQL 5.7, rebuilt the database, and the SQL Genie worked as expected. I guess the new version of SQL just doesn't play nice with this build of Alpha.

Real Name
    Joe Lavely

I am having the same issue with the list control builder. I installed a new computer to run the WAS, and I installed MySQL 8.0.

The WAS runs fine with it, but all the Alpha files it is serving were developed in MySQL 5.6.
    The only problem I had was a table that was named groups. In 8.0 groups is now a reserved word. I was able to work around that without much trouble.

So I decided to upgrade my development machine to MySQL 8.0 and now I have the same problem.

Does Alpha not like MySQL 8.0? Before I roll everything back, is there another solution?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

I would send that in a bug report to Selwyn. I imagine he will get back to you pretty quickly. However, you should make sure it is still an issue in the latest version of Alpha first. It may be a known issue he already fixed.

Real Name
    Joe Lavely

From Selwyn - MySQL 8 is not supported. You must use an earlier version or mariadb.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

Did he happen to mention WHEN MySQL 8 would start getting support?

Real Name
    Joe Lavely

He did not say. I am rolling back to 5.7.