Alpha Video Training

Thread: Alpha Five Version 5 on Vista

Real Name
    Keith Boardman

Default Alpha Five Version 5 on Vista

We used Alpha 5 Version 5 for the past 12 or more years on our oldest computer running Win98. Suddenly we can't access the computer (nothing shows on the monitor, though both the computer and monitor are on---it's not the monitor, as it works with our WinVista computer).
    When we contacted Alpha the man laughingly dismissed my problem because "that software is 20 years old." I was informed that to be compatible with Vista I would need Alpha 5 V11, and an annual "developers license" at a minimum of $499 is required.
    At this point I am still looking for simple database software which will work as well as Alpha 5 V5 did for so many years. We don't need all the latest bells and whistles, etc.

Real Name
    Keith Boardman

Default Re: Alpha five version 5.0

I've seen that stated somewhere else, that the software registration is tied to the computer's name. Perhaps I should get a computer tech out here at $100 per hour to change the name on our Vista computer, then perhaps we could install our A5V5 software.

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

There can be only one.

Real Name
    Keith Boardman

So Alpha 5 V5 would still not install even if the computer name is the same?
    Later last night I stumbled across a program called "LibreOffice- Base" from Portableapps.com which appears that it might suit my needs. Apparently I should download that and see if i can figure out how to use it.
    Thanks!

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Alpha should install. It should consider itself activated if

the computer name has been activated previously
    the license number is entered
    the activation.key file is copied to the computer

I never used A5V5 with Vista. If I remember correctly with XP the activation.key file needed to be copied to the directory where Alpha itself installed. With Win7 and later the activation.key file is saved in

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Alpha Software\Alpha Five Version #
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Keith Boardman

I just received a message from Alpha that a response had been received from Stan Matthews regarding the issues with installing Alpha 5. However, I do not see Stan's response here when following the link to this page.
    A computer tech is scheduled to come by tomorrow to address issues involving three different computers, so I've printed the message from Alpha, which quoted Stan's response, so that he can see it and hopefully it will be of assistance to him when he tries again to install Alpha 5 in our Vista computer.
    Thank you, Stan!

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Default Re: Alpha Five Version 5 on Vista

You created several new threads and brought other old ones to the top. All of your posts have been consolidated here in this thread, including Stan's response.

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

Real Name
    Keith Boardman

Sorry, but I could not see anywhere else to post.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Sounds like a video card issue in your computer will fix it. There could be other issues too though. Have you tried another monitor?
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Keith Boardman

Thanks for the response.

Yes, we tried two different monitors. One of those two is now connected to the Vista computer, so we knew it wasn't the monitors. One of my thoughts was that the tech who had to disconnect the hard drive and connect it to a different computer (the tray on the Win98 computer had not been used in about 15 years and wouldn't open) had made an error when reconnecting the hard drive. The computer was then taken to a different shop, where it was pronounced DOA.

Currently I am using the typewriter to prepare the labels for a mailing we have to send out next month. We are also searching high and low for an affordable database program which can be used in the Vista computer that we do not want to keep connected to the internet (antivirus software is no longer available for Vista, apparently). The program must allow for rather lengthy memo fields, and I haven't been able to find adequate information about any of the software I've found online. Any suggestions? We must have the ability to set up our own fields as to type and length, and to format reports and mailing labels to be prepared on a dot matrix printer. We have two large mailings coming up in December and June and I need to get started on entering the addresses and other information for those mailings. Following the December mailing there will be a large data entry project which then will lead to a number of reports printed on continuous-feed printout paper as well as address labels for two more mailings next year.

Thanks again.