Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Trace window error - after a refresh shadow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trace window error - after a refresh shadow

For years we have never had a problem with refreshing a shadow. Now we get a 4 Warnings - (Trace Window) every time we do it. I am not a programmer but I can make out that the field named User_C seems to be the culprit. This is a calculated field picking up its information from the login person.

Warning [1]: Error(s) opening rules for field: USER_C
    Warning [2]: Error adding calculated rule to database engine.
    Warning [3]: Error(s) opening rules for field: USER_C
    Warning [4]: Error parsing 'calc' rules expression.

I have attached a picture of the field rule - any ideas on how I can fix this ?

Right now if someone refreshes, I have to delete their current shadow and do a whole new Network Optimize on their computer so they can work.

Thanks in advance
    Terri
    Attached Files

Re: Trace window error - after a refresh shadow

The error suggests that, for whatever reason, the shadowed copy cannot see the referenced variable. You might double check the login routine to ensure that the variable is being declared as global.

I was able to duplicate your experience by creating a global variable, creating a calculated field in a table referencing that global variable, deleting the variable, opening the table.

Warning [1]: Error(s) opening rules for field: NAME
    Warning [2]: Error adding calculated rule to database engine.
    Warning [3]: Error(s) opening rules for field: NAME
    Warning [4]: Error parsing 'calc' rules expression.
    Last edited by Stan Mathews; 08-30-2018, 12:34 PM.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks Stan - Jim Chapman built this database for us and as I look in the scripts he had this 'showGlobalVariables' -- I ran it and it does show the variable is global - see attached

Unless there is somewhere else I should be looking?
      Attached Files

Comment

That's as it should be. The question now is whether the same is true on the shadowed copy when the error occurs.

If you put a new button on a form (in the development database) and code it

ui_msg_box("Logged in user is"+var->vloginusertc)

then after a Refresh Shadow you should see the button on the user machine and be able to test.
        There can be only one.

Comment

It's telling me too few parameters? when I hit the button ?

Comment

ui_msg_box("ERROR","Logged in user is"+var->vloginusertc)

Comment

Thanks, Allen.

I was going to use the msgbox() function which doesn't require all three parameters but couldn't recall if v8 supported it. Swiched back to ui_msg_box() and didn't complete the thought.
              There can be only one.

Comment

Thank you both - it does return the user name on the shadow but unfortunately I still get the same 4 Warning errors if I refresh

Any more ideas?

Comment

When the global variable gets initialized can also be a factor. Is it dimmed in the Autoexec?
                  Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Hi Robin - thanks but like I said I am not a programmer - give me a hint on where I should look for the Autoexec - Also I have noticed that at least one computer (out of the 7 I have tried so far), does not have the warnings after the refresh - I have 23 more to check out. Any idea why that one would not show an error? The shadow comes from the same development database.

Comment

On the code tab where you found the global variables script you should find the autoexec.

I assume you have a pretty stable environment if you are still using V8. I don't see how anything could have changed but have you verified that the runtime version/build is the same as the development? All machines using the same Windows version/updates and antivirus?
                      There can be only one.

Comment

We have used v8 since 2009 (Started with v2!) - had problems at the beginning but things have been stable for most of the years - the only thing that has changed is we moved everything to a new server a couple of weeks ago. Until we did a refresh for something I did not realize it was not working -- EXCEPT it works on that one computer - very strange.

We are all on Windows 7 / same antivirus etc and the same version/build of V8 -

I looked for the autoexec in the code list but do not see it there - screenshot attached - I arranged the list in alphabetical order.
                        Attached Files

Comment

It is not necessary that there be an autoexec. You database may be set up so that the login process is triggered by the init of the startup form and the globals are populated there.

Issue is likely something with the new server. Can you check the detail view of the runtime users' control panel, tables/sets tab, and see if the list all point to the same directory? Or just the "good" one vs one "bad" one.
                          Last edited by Stan Mathews; 08-31-2018, 11:41 AM.
                          There can be only one.

Comment

I believe that is how it is set up - they click on the shortcut and it opens to their login screen -- so where do I find this 'init of the startup form' to check it out ?

Comment

In design mode if you use the File menu, Database Properties, you should see on the Startup tab the designation for which form is shown when the database is opened. If you put that form in design mode and check its events you should see Oninit.

But, as one computer is working correctly the issue is likely not the global variable. More likely something different with the new server and where the runtimes are pointed.
                              There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                              X