Alpha Video Training

Thread: Form refresh

Real Name
    Jerry Hartness

Default Form refresh

I have a form that at the very top has the name of the program, however over in the setup file I give the user the option to change the name to whatever name they want. One the main form the name is picked up from the setup file: NName = lookup("setup",".t.","Name"), but when the name appears it is highlighted in black I have to use the mouse to click somewhere else to refresh the screen, so where do you put the "refresh display' on the form as soon as it is opened. What event? OnArrive, OnFetch ??? I have tried some of them and apparently they don't work.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

Real Name
    Robin

Default Re: Form refresh

A screenshot would be helpful. Is this the A5.window_title property you are changing?
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Sounds to me like the NName is calculated field and it is the first in the tab order. Suggest you try unchecking the Tab Stop property.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Jerry Hartness

No, it's is from a calculated field in another table and when it appears on the form that called it; it is hightlighted like a line when you select, as in Word when you want to delete and the cursor is there. Just need a way to stop it from being highlighted and that white line on the left is the cursor and it blinks
    Last edited by Jerry Hartness; 09-05-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hartness View Post
    No, it's is from a calculated field in another table and when it appears on the form that called it; it is hightlighted like a line when you select, as in Word when you want to delete and the cursor is there. Just need a way to stop it from being highlighted and that white line on the left is the cursor and it blinks

Attachment 45238
    Jerry

Go with Stan's suggestion....

https://www.alphasoftware.com/alphaf...l=1#post740057

Suggest you try unchecking the Tab Stop property.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Jerry Hartness

There are no tabs only anything. All of them have been disabled. I have another program with the same ideal, so will look at that one to see what I did there.

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

There are no tabs only anything. All of them have been disabled. I have another program with the same ideal, so will look at that one to see what I did there.
    Tab Stop is a property of the field object on the form. It is used when you press the tab button on the keyboard to move from object to object on the form.

From design mode, right click the data object, you'll get field properties with tabbed items - select setup - see attached image.

You can also set the tab order on the form by using the arrange menu option - set tab order - chose one of the options.

TabStop.jpg
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Robin

When you copy an object from another form it will always enable the tab stop by checking it.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Jerry Hartness

Al, I know what you are talking about, but I have unchecked all tabs as there are none needed in this program. It's a program you look at and you can search, add, edit, delete, but no tabs need to go from one field to another. Going to try again to upload picture. This is only 1/2 of the picture. At the top where it says "Stan Matthew, there are no tabs" the cursor is on the left side blinking and the only way clear it up is to click somewhere else on the screen so this is why I am requesting a Refresh Form when the form opens.

MainForm.PNG
    Last edited by Jerry Hartness; 09-05-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Al, I know what you are talking about, but I have unchecked all tabs as there are none needed in this program. It's a program you look at and you can search, add, edit, delete, but no tabs need to go from one field to another. Going to try again to upload picture. This is only 1/2 of the picture. At the top where it says "Stan Matthew, there are no tabs" the cursor is on the left side blinking and the only way clear it up is to click somewhere else on the screen so this is why I am requesting a Refresh Form when the form opens.

MainForm.PNG
    Jerry

Build a small sample and post it here or email it to me.

Something is getting lost in the translation.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS

Real Name
    Jerry Hartness

Well, got it fixed, and failed to look at this, but on the calculated field that is placed on to screen to look up the name, I never figured I should look at the properties and then setup and sure enough the Tab was enabled, so I did, I thought I did, was to turn all of them off. Thanks fer your help and you were right Al and Stan
    Last edited by Jerry Hartness; 09-06-2018 at 07:14 AM.