Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Append Multiple Records for One in Transaction Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Append Multiple Records for One in Transaction Table

I need to append multiple records for each record in my transactional table and to make matters more difficult the number of records required varies but is indicated in a field within the table. Is this possible?

So far I have not built any applications using code but recognise this will probably be needed for this task so any help with the coding would be much appreciated.

Re: Append Multiple Records for One in Transaction Table

Seems like a similar question was asked recently but I can't find it. The number of dest.fieldname = tbl.fieldname between the enter_begin() and enter_end() in the code below would vary depending on how many fields you have to "append".

Code:
    tbl = table.open("atest")'original table
    dest = table.open("atest_dest")'table records are being entered/appended to
    tbl.fetch_first()
    while .not. tbl.fetch_eof()
    	how_many = tbl.qty 'qty fld holds number of records to be created
    	for qx = 1 to how_many
    	[COLOR="#FF8C00"]dest.enter_begin()[/COLOR]
    	[COLOR="#FF0000"]dest.id = tbl.id
    	dest.name = tbl.name[/COLOR]
    	[COLOR="#FF8C00"]dest.enter_end()[/COLOR]
    	next
    	tbl.fetch_next()	
    end while
    tbl.close()
    dest.close()
    Note: The similar question I was thinking of involved creating an output text file with a number of lines for each record based on a number in a field in the record. Not quite the same but the logic was pretty much the same.
    Last edited by Stan Mathews; 09-10-2018, 01:57 PM.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

Tried it this morning and it works a treat!

Many thanks for the help.

Gordon

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
      Seems like a similar question was asked recently but I can't find it. The number of dest.fieldname = tbl.fieldname between the enter_begin() and enter_end() in the code below would vary depending on how many fields you have to "append".

Code:
      tbl = table.open("atest")'original table
      dest = table.open("atest_dest")'table records are being entered/appended to
      tbl.fetch_first()
      	how_many = tbl.qty 'qty fld holds number of records to be created
      	for qx = 1 to how_many
      	[COLOR="#FF8C00"]dest.enter_begin()[/COLOR]
      	[COLOR="#FF0000"]dest.id = tbl.id
      	dest.name = tbl.name[/COLOR]
      	[COLOR="#FF8C00"]dest.enter_end()[/COLOR]
      	next
      	tbl.fetch_next()	
      end while
      tbl.close()
      dest.close()
      Note: The similar question I was thinking of involved creating an output text file with a number of lines for each record based on a number in a field in the record. Not quite the same but the logic was pretty much the same.

Comment

Hi Stan,

I wonder if you can help again?

I now need to update a new table (locations) with data from each record in the table created with the code you supplied (putaway_locations). I have tried to write the code (below) using similar logic to that you provided but when run it only updates from the first record and does not read/update from any of the subsequent ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Gordon

tbl = table.open("putaway_locations")
        dest = table.open("locations")
        tbl.fetch_first()
        while .not. tbl.fetch_eof() .and. tbl.loc_type_1 = dest.loc_type .and. dest.closed = .f.
        dest.change_begin()
        dest.Part = tbl.Part
        dest.Date = tbl.Date
        dest.putaway_qty = tbl.qty
        dest.GRN_Line = tbl.GRN_Line
        dest.ref = tbl.ref
        dest.change_End()
        tbl.fetch_next()
        end while
        tbl.close()
        dest.close()

Comment

That's a bit hard to work out having no sample data but I think it would be something like.

Code:
          dest.fetch_first()
          tbl.fetch_first()
          	while .not. dest.fetch_eof()
          		if tbl.loc_type_1 = dest.loc_type .and. dest.closed = .f.
          			dest.change_begin()
          			dest.Part = tbl.Part
          			dest.Date = tbl.Date
          			dest.ref = tbl.ref
          			dest.change_End()
          		end if
          		dest.fetch_next()
          	end while
          	dest.fetch_first()
          	tbl.fetch_next()
          end while
          tbl.close()
          dest.close()
          But I would think you want to match up tbl.part to dest.part?
          Code:
          dest.fetch_first()
          tbl.fetch_first()
          		if tbl.Part = dest.Part .and. tbl.loc_type_1 = dest.loc_type .and. dest.closed = .f.
          			dest.change_begin()
          			dest.Date = tbl.Date
          			dest.ref = tbl.ref
          			dest.change_End()
          		end if
          		dest.fetch_next()
          	end while
          	dest.fetch_first()
          	tbl.fetch_next()
          end while
          tbl.close()
          dest.close()
          There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,
            Unfortunately that hasn't worked as the first record from "putaway_locations" has been posted to every filtered line of "locations" and then it seemed to get stuck in a loop and I had to end task to stop it.

I do need to match up the two part fields as what I am trying to achieve is a warehouse product putaway system where empty locations are selected and the parts assigned to these locations. Hopefully screen shots of the tables will be attached.

Regards

Gordon

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 08.25.38.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 08.27.06.png

Comment

Ok, your original code attempt makes more sense now having seen the table structures. It stopped on the first record because the second record has closed marked T which ended the

while .not. tbl.fetch_eof() .and. tbl.loc_type_1 = dest.loc_type .and. dest.closed = .f.

I added a debug() statement to this version. When the code is run you can use the F12 key to step through the execution watching what happens. If it gets stuck somewhere you can Halt Script.

Code:
              debug(1)
              tbl.fetch_first()
              		if tbl.loc_type_1 = dest.loc_type .and. dest.closed = .f. [COLOR="#0000FF"]'if location type matches and destination location is not closed[/COLOR]
              			dest.change_begin()
              			dest.Part = tbl.Part
              			dest.Date = tbl.Date
              			dest.ref = tbl.ref
              			dest.change_end()
              			dest.fetch_next() [COLOR="#0000FF"]'move to the next destination location to be ready for next putaway item[/COLOR]
              			exit while [COLOR="#0000FF"]'done with this putaway item, get out of locations loop[/COLOR]
              		else
              			dest.fetch_next() [COLOR="#0000FF"]'not done with this item, move to the next location and run check[/COLOR]
              		end if
              	end while
              	tbl.fetch_next()
              end while
              tbl.close()
              dest.close()
              The line
              dest.fetch_next() 'move to the next destination location to be ready for next putaway item
              should probably be
              dest.fetch_first() 'move to the start of destination locations to be ready for next putaway item
              because we shouldn't assume the locations are in order and we might have passed over a non closed location that wasn't the right type.

I did notice that there is no check to see if there is an available location of any type. No change is made to the putaway_locations table to indicate that the item has been putaway so running the process again will putaway the same items.
              Last edited by Stan Mathews; 09-13-2018, 08:34 AM.
              There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

It did need to be dest.fetch_first as you thought as with the next command it stalled when the tbl.loc_type_1 changed. I tried with the change to first and it worked but did take a couple of minutes to run. This is not an issue as they will only do this once per day.

You are also right there is nothing to indicate the process has run but I had realised this and there will be a post back from "locations" to "locations_putaway" to populate the location chosen. This will be on the ref field which is a unique identifier for the records in "location_putaway" and has been populated in "locations" by this code. I will then exclude records where tbl.location<>"" to ensure the process can only run once for each record.

Thanks for all the help but don't be surprised if I get stuck again! I have been using Alpha5 for 20 years since v4 but always used action scripting until now but will definitely take time to learn more about code as I can see the power!

By the way I live in England 30 miles east of London and hence the odd times of my posts for you.

Regards

Gordon

Comment

We can speed thing using .batch_begin() and .batch_end(). Also, since we are moving back to the first of the locations table we need to close the location after it is used for a putaway. We can also do the postback as the putaway is done.

Code:
                  tbl.fetch_first()
                  	[COLOR="#FF8C00"]dest.batch_begin()[/COLOR]
                  		if tbl.loc_type_1 = dest.loc_type .and. dest.closed = .f. 'if location type matches and destination location is not closed
                  			dest.change_begin()
                  			dest.Part = tbl.Part
                  			dest.Date = tbl.Date
                  			dest.ref = tbl.ref
                  			[COLOR="#FF0000"]dest.closed = .T.[/COLOR]
                  			dest.change_end()
                  			put_in_was = dest.location
                  			dest.fetch_first() 'move to the next destination location to be ready for next putaway item
                  			exit while 'done with this putaway item, get out of locations loop
                  		else
                  			dest.fetch_next() 'not done with this item, move to the next location and run check
                  		end if
                  		[COLOR="#FF8C00"]dest.batch_end()[/COLOR]
                  	end while
                  	[COLOR="#006400"]tbl.change_begin()
                  	tbl.location = var->put_in_was 'write chosen location back to putaway table
                  	tbl.change_end()[/COLOR]
                  	tbl.fetch_next()
                  end while
                  tbl.close()
                  dest.close()
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

I am still having some issues and wonder if you can help.

1. When I ran the code the first time on a typical receipt which contains 900 records it took about 5 minutes. After running a few more test it then took over 50 minutes. I have tried a few tweaks but the only one that improved the situation was adding a batch operation to tbl as well as dest (code below)

tbl = table.open("putaway_locations_temp")
                    tbl.fetch_first()
                    tbl.batch_begin()
                    dest.batch_begin()
                    if tbl.loc_type_1 = dest.loc_type .and. dest.closed = .f. 'if location type matches and destination location is not closed
                    dest.change_begin()
                    dest.Part = tbl.Part
                    dest.Date = tbl.Date
                    dest.ref = tbl.ref
                    dest.change_end()
                    put_in_was = dest.location
                    dest.fetch_first() 'move to the next destination location to be ready for next putaway item
                    else
                    dest.fetch_next() 'not done with this item, move to the next location and run check
                    end if
                    dest.batch_end()
                    end while
                    tbl.change_begin()
                    tbl.location = var->put_in_was 'write chosen location back to putaway table
                    tbl.change_end()
                    tbl.fetch_next()
                    tbl.batch_end()
                    end while
                    tbl.close()
                    dest.close()

Is there anything else that can be done to improve this? I wondered if adding an index/searching for records in dest table would help. You will note tbl is now putaway_locations_temp I am using this as a transitional table which gets zapped then only the records where location is blank are appended. This reduces the number of records we need to process as the putaway_locations table will get quite large over time.

2. Through my tests I have found that if there is no matching loc_type then the code stuffs the previous records location into tbl.location and does the same for all subsequent records even though they do have a matching loc_type.

3. I also need to create a script that identifies existing locations in the locations table for the part being processed where the quantity could be "topped up" i.e. the location can hold 100, we have 20 to put away and there are only 50 in the location. Below is the code I wrote using your code as a template but unfortunately it does not work. I am again creating a transitional table (putaway_locations_partial). It kept failing on the location write back so I took this out to try to get it to work.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Regards

Gordon

tbl = table.open("putaway_locations_partial")
                    tbl.fetch_first()
                    tbl.batch_begin()
                    dest.batch_begin()
                    if tbl.part = dest.part .and. tbl.qty < dest.qty_avail 'if part is equal and the qty will fit
                    dest.change_begin()
                    dest.Date = tbl.Date
                    dest.ref = tbl.ref
                    dest.change_end()
                    else
                    end if
                    dest.batch_end()
                    end while
                    tbl.fetch_next()
                    tbl.batch_end()
                    end while
                    tbl.close()
                    dest.close()

Comment

This should work better. I don't know why I put the write back section where I did. This will eliminate the issue of reusing a location if a matching location type isn't found.

Code:
                      tbl.fetch_first()
                      tbl.batch_begin()
                      dest.batch_begin()
                      			dest.change_begin()
                      			dest.Part = tbl.Part
                      			dest.Date = tbl.Date
                      			dest.ref = tbl.ref
                      			dest.change_end()
                      			tbl.change_begin()
                      			tbl.location = dest.location 'write chosen location back to putaway table
                      			tbl.change_end()
                      			dest.fetch_first() 'move to the first destination location to be ready for next putaway item
                      		else
                      		end if
                      	end while
                      	tbl.fetch_next()
                      end while
                      tbl.batch_end()
                      dest.batch_end()
                      tbl.close()
                      dest.close()
                      There are several possibilities for using indexing and queries that might speed things up. The use of the temporary table is a good idea. Trying to code "in theory" with no actual tables is difficult. I am wondering if adding a section to update the "master" putaway_locations table when the record in the temp table is used, then deleting the record in the temp table would help or hinder. It might also help to query the locations table for each possible location type possible, append that type only from the putaway locations to the temp table, then process with the script but eliminate the location check in

if tbl.loc_type_1 = dest.loc_type .and. dest.closed = .f.

I think that would also allow us to change

dest.fetch_first()

back to

dest.fetch_next()

since we would then know we hadn't skipped over any wrong type locations.
                      There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

I have tried the new code and it did not update either the locations or putaway_location_temp table. It ran lighting quick but did nothing and I guess must be exiting out of the loop before making any changes. I also tried changing dest.fetch_first() to dest.fetch_next() but it still did not work.

There will eventually be around 10-15 different location types and 20,000 locations (I am currently testing with 11,000 locations and 5 types) with your idea would we need a query for each location type on each table and then run a script to update the selected records?

I have created action scripting to empty and pack the temp table and then append only the previously unprocessed items from the master table. Once these are run I call your script and when complete I post back from the temp to the master table again using action script. These bits work very quickly so I am happy to leave them as they are.

Regards

Gordon

Comment

I don't see where I changed anything that would keep the tables from updating. I do notice that your code and my alteration did not set the locations table closed field to .T.. If we don't do that then the location is still .F. when we go to the next putaway record and the script will use it again. I did move the batch commands outside of the while loops. They are only needed once. I also moved the three commands to store the putaway location in the locations table but that wouldn't prevent the updating.

Trying again with making the script close the location when it is used.

Code:
                          tbl.fetch_first()
                          tbl.batch_begin()
                          dest.batch_begin()
                          			dest.change_begin()
                          			dest.Part = tbl.Part
                          			dest.Date = tbl.Date
                          			dest.ref = tbl.ref
                          			dest.closed = .T.[COLOR="#FF0000"] 'set this or destination location will be reused[/COLOR]
                          			dest.change_end()
                          			tbl.change_begin()
                          			tbl.change_end()
                          		else
                          		end if
                          	end while
                          	tbl.fetch_next()
                          end while
                          dest.batch_end()
                          tbl.batch_end()
                          tbl.close()
                          dest.close()
                          There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

Good news!

The code still wouldn't run so I tried the old code and had the same issue. In desperation I simply closed the database and reopened and hey presto everything worked. The new code executed in less than 3 minutes for the full 900 records including the action scripting bits so you have one very happy Englishman over here. I will test the issue re no matching loc_type tomorrow and let you know.

By the way I removed the dest.closed = .T. as there is a field rule which does this automatically. I need the field rule in place as it closes the location when inventory information is imported.

If you have a chance to look at point 3 regarding the top up issue I would also appreciate it.

Thanks and Regards

Gordon

Comment

This uses the same logic for step 3 that the other code uses. Moved the batch commands outside the while loop. Write the location back immediately after the destination record is changed.

Code:
                              tbl = table.open("putaway_locations_partial")
                              tbl.fetch_first()
                              tbl.batch_begin()
                              dest.batch_begin()
                              		if tbl.part = dest.part .and. tbl.qty <[COLOR="#FF0000"]=[/COLOR] dest.qty_avail 'if part is equal and the qty will fit
                              			dest.change_begin()
                              			dest.Date = tbl.Date 'overwrite the previous field value?
                              			dest.putaway_qty = dest.putaway_qty + tbl.qty [COLOR="#FF0000"]'add the tbl.qty to current dest.putaway_qty (not overwrite)[/COLOR]			
                                                      dest.GRN_Line = tbl.GRN_Line 'overwrite the previous field value?
                              			dest.ref = tbl.ref 'overwrite the previous field value?
                              			dest.change_end()
                              			tbl.change_begin()
                              			tbl.change_end()
                              		else
                              		end if
                              	end while
                              	tbl.fetch_next()
                              end while
                              dest.batch_end()
                              tbl.batch_end()
                              tbl.close()
                              dest.close()
                              There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                              X